LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 255 users in the forums

Are the 49ers a "MISSED WINDOW" team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
No, Nein, Nyet
I think we could be on our way down but next year is a minor way down if any... But the salary cap is going to bring us down soon

Biggest problem we have is other teams now have tape on us. We wont be as good going forward even with the same guys
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Result = Come up short. Lost year.

I would hardly classify the last two years as "lost."
Originally posted by buck:

If your not first your last!
Originally posted by Strwy2Hevn:
If your not first your last!

Not true
Just based on probability, it's unlikely we'll win one with this current core.

We do have a favorable schedule though...and Kaepernick's emergence gives us a chance.
  • lazy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MrFantastic:
Here is one perspective.

"The window of opportunity for the Niners didn't close Sunday night. It's only just opening."

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story/0ap1000000136103/article/san-francisco-49ers-window-of-opportunity-only-just-opening

I'm sure the Dolphins thought that too when Dan Marino made it to the Superbowl in his 2nd year

Thank god John Elway didn't listen to people like you after he was humilated in his first three superbowls.

It's SD's life view
I think we could be on our way down but next year is a minor way down if any... But the salary cap is going to bring us down soon

Biggest problem we have is other teams now have tape on us. We wont be as good going forward even with the same guys

I don't think tape can stop good plays. For example, no matter what coverages teams had tried against Crabtree, Kap continued to get him the ball, in most cases in stride.
I'm not worried about the salary cap. I know the 49ers will lose some of this roster but they have the necessary key players at certain positions. The 49ers can pick one side of their o line and remain competitive with replacements. I.E. Keep Goodwin, either Boone or Iupati, Davis or Staley. Remember, this line wasn't this good until Kap helped them look good.

Keep Vernon, let walker go if he demands big money, not concerned. The RB position is good with Hunter and LMJ for a few years. WR is a need if Jenkings or Williams don't pan out.

The defense side of the ball, the d line needs a playmaker. I hate to say this but as long as we have Willis or Bowman the ILB position will be good to go. Brooks and Aldon are keepers. Goldson becomes expendable as the pass rush improves. The secondary as a unit is getting long in the tooth.

I can see the draft focusing on d line or the secondary early with maybe a WR in the mix somewhere high. The o line will get some youth later in the draft or maybe a FA type. This team has a good core, a new core that will dawn a 49er uniform for the next few years.

Kap, Hunter, LMJ, Crabtree, Aldon Smith, Bowman, Culliver, Brown,

Not bad, not bad at all.

Originally posted by fister30:

I don't think tape can stop good plays. For example, no matter what coverages teams had tried against Crabtree, Kap continued to get him the ball, in most cases in stride.

^^^Exactly...When teams have tape on another team thats when good coaching comes into play and besides everybodys going to try to break down the Pistol fromation so much ...we do have massive Offensive playbook you know. When we get some recievers back from injury or draft, free agency whatever we're gonna be really tough. Kaep did a hella of a job with just Crabtree a 37 year old, Ted Ginn?? and some dude named Chad Hall?? The Future is bright fellas.
[ Edited by cjsmoove on Feb 5, 2013 at 7:59 AM ]
Originally posted by luis1985:
Missed the window for sure. I would maybe expect a wild card but that's it. History is not with us but against us. I would have rather lost to Atlanta. I hate this Super Bowl. Only Gore deserved to be there. This team tainted our history. They should be ashamed.

You are not a true Niner fan. You're a Cowboy or Packer fan. Go join their forums. I am proud of my Niners. Their comeback came a little short, but they were very close to winning it all. After the the Dark Days, how can any true Niner fan say we didn't deserve to be there. I think you do not deserve to be a Niner fan. Now return your Willis jersey back to the store that you bought a week ago. You are a bandwagon fan. Get off our bandwagon, we don't want you here!
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Understand the thought...but from what we've seen from the Baalke/Harbaugh duo, they'll retool, and quickly. Most of the problems are with the defense...down the stretch and into the playoffs they simply weren't that good. You can't make a habit of continually falling behind and expect the offense to bail you out in the playoffs. That's a reverse trend from the 2003-2010 era, but one that has to get fixed, and pronto. Thanks to at least 14 draft picks (could well be more with a trade of Alex), Baalke has plenty of ammunition to work with. There are also some very good FA defensive players like Randy Starks (DL), Anthony Spencer, Conner Barwin & Paul Kruger(OLB's/situational pass rushers), CB's Sean Smith and Cary Williams, FS Jarius Byrd, SS's William Moore and Glover Quin, DT's Terrance Knighton, Alan Branch. Plenty of opportunities to improve the DL, secondary and let's throw in a top WR while we're at it.
I don't think it's fair to say the defense isn't good. It just needs a piece or two. More importantly, it needs depth.
Originally posted by RedAlice:
Y
I am still trying to figure out what the team will do in the draft and free agency.

What pick will we get for Alex Smith? Will we re-sign Goldson? Can we move up to get Sheldon Richardson?

I am having a hard time predicting the next three months. I can not even begin to project next season.

Guess I am just slow.

You will likely be the only NFC W team to anything smart in FA.

I don't think Rams or Hawks have the cap room to get what they want. I could be wrong. And, I haven't looked at the Cards yet.

As to AS, you have a smart FO. You will get something,

Why would a team give up a pick for Alex Smith when they can easily pick get him after the Niners cut him.
Originally posted by drakan:
Why would a team give up a pick for Alex Smith when they can easily pick get him after the Niners cut him.

Smith's contract is cheap so if they trade for him they get that deal.

If 49ers drop him, teams will have to get into a bidding war which will likely push Smith to 10 millions per year at least.
Share 49ersWebzone