LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 293 users in the forums

Are the 49ers a "MISSED WINDOW" team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We still have a certain core of very talented guys. But you can't deny how hurtful very deep playoff runs are that fizzle out into nothing. You don't get here every year. Look how good Aaron Rodgers is. He doesn't make the Super Bowl every year. Look how good Tom Brady is. He doesn't make it every year. We have got to start making it happen with these opportunities.

Tom brady and Aaron Rodgers make the playoffs every year. The team is built for that. This team is young and the window is still open.

This. Sure, it's tough to compete for the big game year after year. But the great teams and coaching staffs achieve it. I think we have a great (and young, mind you) team and a great coaching staff. No coaching staff in its first two years has achieved what ours has. This only can spell good things for the future with a QB who's ability is sky-high.

I'm bummed, but getting over it quickly. This team will be back. If we used the sting of the NFCCG to fuel this year, we'll use this year's to fuel ourselves to a sixth Lombardi.
Originally posted by fister30:
I'm not worried about the salary cap. I know the 49ers will lose some of this roster but they have the necessary key players at certain positions. The 49ers can pick one side of their o line and remain competitive with replacements. I.E. Keep Goodwin, either Boone or Iupati, Davis or Staley. Remember, this line wasn't this good until Kap helped them look good.

Keep Vernon, let walker go if he demands big money, not concerned. The RB position is good with Hunter and LMJ for a few years. WR is a need if Jenkings or Williams don't pan out.

The defense side of the ball, the d line needs a playmaker. I hate to say this but as long as we have Willis or Bowman the ILB position will be good to go. Brooks and Aldon are keepers. Goldson becomes expendable as the pass rush improves. The secondary as a unit is getting long in the tooth.

I can see the draft focusing on d line or the secondary early with maybe a WR in the mix somewhere high. The o line will get some youth later in the draft or maybe a FA type. This team has a good core, a new core that will dawn a 49er uniform for the next few years.

Kap, Hunter, LMJ, Crabtree, Aldon Smith, Bowman, Culliver, Brown,

Not bad, not bad at all.

After Culliver's poor performance and drop off this year, I would not include his name with the others. After his gay bashing, he may have a falling out with upper management to boot.
Everyone always brings up the "Look at Dan Marino" thing.

But Marino never had a running game.

Marino never had a decent TE.

Marino never had decent WRs after Duper/Clayton.

As long as Kaep has decent pieces around him, they'll be back.

Young needed Deion on defense to get over the hump and he had Rice, Watters, Jones, Taylor, McAffrey, Floyd. Even with that offense it was a defensive piece that got that team over the hump.

Who did Marino have ?
This team will get better before it gets bad. Young nucleous and high quantity of draft picks. The defense needs to and will get fixed through the draft, and the offense will be Kaep's from the start, Manningham and Hunter will be back, hopefully AJ Jenkins brings something into the mix. The offense is the strength of this team now.

I know it is hard to get back, I thought that way after last year's debacle, yet they made it back and a step further. Other teams will get better (especially in the division) and that will make it tougher. That being said, it is not impossible, maybe not next year, but I can definitely see it happening in the next 3 to 5 years.
All I can say is:
We'll see.
I haven't been THIS optimistic in years.

After last year's banner ST and D years were wasted by such a poor offense, I thought no way do we go any further than NFCCG. Years like Akers and the D had last year don't come around too often and for both of them to happen in the same year was a blessing of sorts.

This year showed that a more dynamic offense can compensate for shortcomings in both the ST and D, but ultimately it was too much to ask. I think the injury to Manningham was a killer, as was the one to J.Smith.

11 Picks (if used wisely), a healthy Manningham, a full offseason for Kaep, maybe a FA pick up here or there and I can easily see them being back.

Their biggest obstacle will be Seattle.
Vegas has them as the odds-on favorite to go back for the NFC next year. 19 of their 22 starters are under contract. They've got lots of cap space and 14 picks in the upcoming draft. And, they may have some trade value in the awesome Alex Smith, who three or four other teams would love to have starting for them. Add to that a young quarterback who more than five or six former NFL QB's have already said could be one of the best if not THE best in the league and you've got a formula for continually being in the conversation for the next four or five years.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Vegas has them as the odds-on favorite to go back for the NFC next year. 19 of their 22 starters are under contract. They've got lots of cap space and 14 picks in the upcoming draft. And, they may have some trade value in the awesome Alex Smith, who three or four other teams would love to have starting for them. Add to that a young quarterback who more than five or six former NFL QB's have already said could be one of the best if not THE best in the league and you've got a formula for continually being in the conversation for the next four or five years.

in two weeks i will agree with you we really do have to draft smart this year like we did two and 3 years ago. i used to think we should be nice and release alex so he can do what he wants but screw that. try to get a third rounder for him, we could really use it on a d lineman or wide out who can return punts and kicks or a cornerback/safety
Other than "look what happened to Dan Marino" what exactly IS the case for thinking the window is closing ?
If Justin Smith doesn't come back to full form, the 49ers may have missed their window, despite still being a very good team. As witnessed through the end of the season, he makes the entire defense work. The 49ers secondary is average without a good pass rush, and the pass rush is mediocre without Smith eating up double-teams every down. It's incredible what he does for the entire defense.
[ Edited by RolandDeschain on Feb 5, 2013 at 9:27 AM ]

Originally posted by diegosydney:
I haven't been THIS optimistic in years.

After last year's banner ST and D years were wasted by such a poor offense, I thought no way do we go any further than NFCCG. Years like Akers and the D had last year don't come around too often and for both of them to happen in the same year was a blessing of sorts.

This year showed that a more dynamic offense can compensate for shortcomings in both the ST and D, but ultimately it was too much to ask. I think the injury to Manningham was a killer, as was the one to J.Smith.

11 Picks (if used wisely), a healthy Manningham, a full offseason for Kaep, maybe a FA pick up here or there and I can easily see them being back.

Their biggest obstacle will be Seattle.

its all speculation, 2 weeks into the season we could have 3 key guys out for the year. so many variables that go into a season and thats why this missed championship will haunt us for a while IMO. we're better than the jets were of a few seasons ago, but look at how they fell off the map. the "we'll be there next year, look at our roster" stuff is a dangerous game to play in this league.
Originally posted by diegosydney:
Everyone always brings up the "Look at Dan Marino" thing.

But Marino never had a running game.

Marino never had a decent TE.

Marino never had decent WRs after Duper/Clayton.

As long as Kaep has decent pieces around him, they'll be back.

Young needed Deion on defense to get over the hump and he had Rice, Watters, Jones, Taylor, McAffrey, Floyd. Even with that offense it was a defensive piece that got that team over the hump.

Who did Marino have ?

Marino was at the end of his career, at his team was all about him, we are way more complete
Do you guys realize how much CK had to learn on the fly? Give him the entire training camp to learn more intricate plays and bond with his receivers and I think we'll see something very special next year. I agree, finding Justin Smith's replacement will be paramount and it won't be easy.

Another thing that hasn't been discussed much is we are NOW a very attractive destination for veteran free agents. Why wouldn't they want to come play in SF?

I'm excited and we are definitely trending upwards. Can't wait till next year...
Originally posted by pete98146:
Do you guys realize how much CK had to learn on the fly? Give him the entire training camp to learn more intricate plays and bond with his receivers and I think we'll see something very special next year. I agree, finding Justin Smith's replacement will be paramount and it won't be easy.

Another thing that hasn't been discussed much is we are NOW a very attractive destination for veteran free agents. Why wouldn't they want to come play in SF?

I'm excited and we are definitely trending upwards. Can't wait till next year...

we're talking about winning championships though. i think the 10 years of losing lowered our standards a bit. New England is a destination free agent vets flock to, they havent won a superbowl in almost 10 years. our talent level will allow us to be "in the mix" as they say. but you cant put us head and shoulders above the other contenders in our conference. we were holding a lottery ticket and failed to cash it.
with our coaches, front office and young players we will be a dominant team for a long time

just because we finally dont suck doesnt mean there is some imaginary window closing on us
Share 49ersWebzone