There are 147 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What is your biggest priority for improving the 2013 roster?

Eifert would be great!!!!!!!!!!!!
Trade up for more dynamic players who might make a difference, could have used a pass rusher this year, and then fill in the openings with FAs. Baalke and Harbaugh tend to do this and it is a very effective way to manage both the salary cap and keep the pipeline full with significant talent.

Can they get an impact pass rusher? DB? WR? NT? If they can get any truly great prospect at any of those positions they should go for it...not sold on the idea of going in needing a certain position...other GMs might eat you alive in trades.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
Originally posted by niners94:
How tall is Byrd? Whitner is too short to cover tight ends

same height.

Donte Whitner is fast though... Jarius Byrd aint as fast. They also dont play the same position.
  • dmax
  • Veteran
BOLSTER THE SECONDARY..FA, DRAFT DO WHATEVER IT TAKES

A BIG NASTY PASS RUSHER AS WELL
[ Edited by dmax on Feb 5, 2013 at 8:21 AM ]
Replace Whitner and upgrade one of the corners. As much as I love Whitner's hitting and tackling, he doesn't match up well with wr's or te's.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
man i like our hard hitting safeties though... they set the tone even if they can't cover all that great the trade off is nice. just add another corner instead.

In this passing league, there is very little place for a safety that cannot cover...or did both the Seattle game and last night escape notice?

I said it last night but I'll say it again here: John Harbaugh spent a lot of time looking at the 2nd Seattle game where they spread the field once they got into the RZ and just abused Whitner. FWIW, cover is not Goldson's strength either.

In the end, you need safeties that can cover but they must also be good tacklers. Just making big hits is not enough to win in this league.

I agree somewhat but I think it would be monumental waste of resources if we don't invest in the DL. The defense completely changed in NE the moment Justin Smith came out of the game. Suddenly Tom Brady looks awesome when he hadn't all night and teams figured out how to nullify the 49er pass-rush. We need to upgrade Will Tukafu and the other DL bench players that we have on this team. There has to be an upgrade in rotation where every guy coming off the bench can contribute significantly to the game - just like we expected Hunter and LMJ to do so as runners, we have to have the same expectations for our DL guys. I agree we do need to do something about the safeties. From what I can see, it seemed to be more scheme/communication than coverage. People just looked lost out there and that's something that needs to be corrected. I hope Fangio is holding Donnatel's feet to the fire - why his guys get caught in no-man's-land so often. If you're a DB and you're alone in space you're probably in the WRONG place. This seems to be a recurring theme and needs to be addressed during the off-season. More man with disciplined CB plan and less zone.

Thoughts?

PS - Am I the only one who's completely unplugged from ESPN and other sports news outlets? I just can't stand to hear talking heads go on and on about Ray Lewis blah blah blah. Man f**k the Ravens. Seriously.
[ Edited by NinerGM on Feb 5, 2013 at 9:07 AM ]
Replace...

Culliver
Whitner
Rogers
Brown

Keep Goldson
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I agree somewhat but I think it would be monumental waste of resources if we don't invest in the DL. The defense completely changed in NE the moment Justin Smith came out of the game. Suddenly Tom Brady looks awesome when he hadn't all night and teams figured out how to nullify the 49er pass-rush. We need to upgrade Will Tukafu and the other DL bench players that we have on this team. There has to be an upgrade in rotation where every guy coming off the bench can contribute significantly to the game - just like we expected Hunter and LMJ to do so as runners, we have to have the same expectations for our DL guys. I agree we do need to do something about the safeties. From what I can see, it seemed to be more scheme/communication than coverage. People just looked lost out there and that's something that needs to be corrected. I hope Fangio is holding Donnatel's feet to the fire - why his guys get caught in no-man's-land so often. If you're a DB and you're alone in space you're probably in the WRONG place. This seems to be a recurring theme and needs to be addressed during the off-season. More man with disciplined CB plan and less zone.

Thoughts?

PS - Am I the only one who's completely unplugged from ESPN and other sports news outlets? I just can't stand to hear talking heads go on and on about Ray Lewis blah blah blah. Man f**k the Ravens. Seriously.

Ditto and Ditto on both counts. Plain and simple it's time to draft atleast three new DL guys. Our philosopy also must change ie we need a rotating DL scheme. Heck, down the line, Justin, Aldon and Ahmad were all injured. No wonder our defense went flat.
We need 3 De Linemen (2 pass rushers to help Aldon & Ahmad and the other to be a 320LB runstuffer to help Justin & Ray McDonald) and in free agency, sign a kicker & a CB and hope to GOD AJ Jenkins isnt a bust because MOSS is done as a 9er as far as i'm concerned, Culliver had an awful game & an awful stupid comented Super Bowl week but he is young & fast & talented so he can still recover.
I think the DBs do well considering they get no help at all.

Alten Smith...am I the only one who thinks he might not be a long-term and consistent player, for various reasons?

A really good DE and NT always has a home, on any team.

Gots to sort out the wide receiver position. CrabT is really good. Try to get another elite WR.

Walker does a lot of things very well and is a big asset who should be kept, but no denying that those big old TEs always seem to have success around the league.

I think Ackers was hurt, expect him to be great again next year.

Lots of hate on Ginn. Is a reliable if not spectacular punt returner, doesn't seem to do much else. LMJ will probably be the kick and punt returner next year anyway.

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Trade up for more dynamic players who might make a difference, could have used a pass rusher this year, and then fill in the openings with FAs. Baalke and Harbaugh tend to do this and it is a very effective way to manage both the salary cap and keep the pipeline full with significant talent.

Can they get an impact pass rusher? DB? WR? NT? If they can get any truly great prospect at any of those positions they should go for it...not sold on the idea of going in needing a certain position...other GMs might eat you alive in trades.

Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Agree that two or three impact guys are what the team needs. Already good all around and so the only need is for a couple of star players, other than at QB and LB.

But, given a choice, the weakest area seems to be the pass rush. Man, some QBs could text back there before the pressure came. One wonders about the long-term prospects of both Smiths and there seems to be a determination to never blitz. The DBs held up amazingly well under the circumstances. And of course there is no such a thing as a NT who is too good...

Next, the wide receivers after CrabT.... Moss...uh. You would think a star free agent receiver might want to come here.

Tight end is good, Walker is a valuable all-around player, and Davis is darned good, but those big tight ends around the league always seem to do well and a really good one would be a clear advantage and upgrade.

Kicker Akers will be fine next year. He was obviously playing through pain.

LMJ or Hunter will return punts and kicks.

And if there is a real star available, whatever the position, you have to pick him up if he falls in your lap.
I dont think the entire secondary needs to be replaced but they need a serious attitude adjustment and need to spend the next 7 months working on jump balls. They cannot play the lob ball at all. The Falcons proved that and the Ravens jumped all over it. They threw more lob balls in one game than I can remember seeing. Ryan does it because he has no arm but hes got the two best receivers in the league after megatron. Flacco did it because they saw how terrible our db's were at playing the jump ball and lobbed it up time and time again. It was disgusting to watch and all the credit thrown at Flacco should have been immediately diverted to his WR's. They were outstanding all game long. Ours...... Not so much.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
D-line
Corner
Safety
Kicker
WR

In that order, Justin Smith is our only consistent D linemen, and he is old and injured, lack of pressure from pass rush exposed our corners, and safeties. Akers is old, injured, and done for. Crabtree and Mario are a good one two, but after that the cupboard is bare. Kyle is servicable, but has baggage, Moss is old and looked scared yesterday, I can't stand to look at him anymore, Jenkens....well if he could have helped I'm sure the coaches would have tried, he can go too. I know he was a 1st round pick, but I would rather cut ties and bring in another WR than waste a roster spot on a project. If La'Mike can learn to return punts we can finaly dump Ted Ginn, I've seen double amputees with better hands.

Mario is hurt way too much. WR needs to be addressed in some fashion. DL needs some freshness. Haralson needs to come back at right price.What exactly is Kyle Williams baggage? Moss needs to be done as Niner. Thanks for the time and the help but we need more effort during games.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SkyGod:
Replace...

Culliver
Whitner
Rogers
Brown

Keep Goldson
it is probably not realistic but this poster said nothing wrong here
Our ST need a major over haul. We need a pass rush and a new OC
Games are won on the lines.

A mediocre secondary will look good with a decent pass rush.

so the question is, whether FA or the draft, which of those 2 areas can be improved the most immediately.

I'm no draftnik, but here's the FA list, anyone grab your eye ?

http://nfltraderumors.co/2013-nfl-free-agents/