LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 330 users in the forums

What is your biggest priority for improving the 2013 roster?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Daniel Brown ‏@mercbrownie Dashon Goldson strongly opposed to getting franchise tag again. Wants security of long-term deal. #49ers

Daniel Brown ‏@mercbrownie Goldson says he wants to stay with 49ers but adds: 'I'm open to all 32 teams." Also says, 'I feel like I've done my part.'
[ Edited by Tommyboy on Feb 5, 2013 at 10:18 AM ]
I'm of the mindset that having a deeper D-line to rotate during the course of the game would provide the biggest dividends, provided that it is able to adequately rush the passer and not just stop the run. And as much as I hate them, I really am impressed with the CB's in Seattle. They are big, fast, physical corners that are going to challenge for the ball every play. Ideally I'd love to have a pair of guys like that roaming around as well.
We might have to draft a safety with our top pick..

Daniel Brown ‏@mercbrownie Dashon Goldson strongly opposed to getting franchise tag again. Wants security of long-term deal. #49ers

Daniel Brown ‏@mercbrownie Goldson says he wants to stay with 49ers but adds: 'I'm open to all 32 teams." Also says, 'I feel like I've done my part.'
Originally posted by diegosydney:
Games are won on the lines.

A mediocre secondary will look good with a decent pass rush.

so the question is, whether FA or the draft, which of those 2 areas can be improved the most immediately.

I'm no draftnik, but here's the FA list, anyone grab your eye ?

http://nfltraderumors.co/2013-nfl-free-agents/
I agree with you on the decent pass rush helping out a mediocre secondary, which I think was the case last year. I know that Aldon had something like 19.5 sacks this season, but they came in bunches and not on a consistent week to week basis, which is a little worrisome. We got exposed, plain and simple. The question now, is what do we do about it?
If you want to be bold a go for overhaul, cut Rogers, trade for Revis and sign Talib and draft a ball hawking safety . Get get healthy on the d line and add some depth and that will help too. Granted this is all fantasy, but it would be an overhaul.
when Aldon is MIA we look like crap
Keep our guys save the $$ draft hard and if Goldson wants top $$ then we gotta replace him. There are too many guys we have to Keep ie Crabs, Kaep, and A. Smith.
Originally posted by susweel:
They need to dump Whitner and draft a better cover safety

Whitner is more of a problem as a cover safety IMO. He's just too small and not quite fast enough. Goldson is good IMO except for a few miscommunication issues we had in the postseason. In particular in Atlanta. But you don't know whose assignment that was. It could be the corner that was supposed to pick something up that Goldson was left chasing on. When definitive Goldson is good on his responsibilites. I'd much rather have him covering than Whitner in some ways. Physically just bigger, with longer reach.
Originally posted by jreff22:
when Aldon is MIA we look like crap

Aldon is MIA when Justin is our or Justin is hurt.
When you're within 10 yards of winning the Super Bowl, I don't think it's wise to do a major overhaul to any aspect of your team. Some tweaks here and there, a few additions and maybe 1-2 subtractions, yes. But a major overhaul when you're that close to winning it all is a serious overreaction.

Xavier Rhodes and then Ertz or Eifert in 2nd round sounds good to me.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Mindi Bach ‏@MBachCSN

#49ers GM has a list of players he is meeting with today. Pending free agents Larry Grant & Dashon Goldson are on that list.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
When you're within 10 yards of winning the Super Bowl, I don't think it's wise to do a major overhaul to any aspect of your team. Some tweaks here and there, a few additions and maybe 1-2 subtractions, yes. But a major overhaul when you're that close to winning it all is a serious overreaction.

We would have won it this year if we played the 1st two quarters. And we wasted 4 downs from 1st and goal at the 7 which will haunt us for a long time.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
I say we let Goldson walk, cut Rodgers and Whitner. Keep Brown, Culliver, and Cox, sign Talib and Move Culliver to FS and Draft Trufant in the 1st round and Rambo in the 3rd round. Use the 2nd round pick on a DE and the other 3rd RD on a NT. We need better coverage from the Safety spot.
How much is Laron Landry going to cost?? Think we could wrap him up 3 years 12 mil?
[ Edited by Magzarillious on Feb 5, 2013 at 10:33 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone