LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 213 users in the forums

What is your biggest priority for improving the 2013 roster?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
For me I picked Secondary. I think the 49ers need to cut ties with Donte. No way around it, period. Safties like Donte are a "Dime a Dozen" in the NFL, all he does is hit. He is pathetic in coverage with or without pressure. The 49ers and us fans deserve better. If all we wanted was a SS that hits people and sucks in Coverage, why not keep Taylor Mays? I really can't see anyone's point to keep Donte. This team wants to win they need to part ways with him. Don't wait until his contract is over, we need a replacement this offseason, not next.

Goldson needs to be resigned. Question is does he play FS or SS next year? That depends on who the 49ers bring in to replace Donte.

Brown/Rogers/Culliver need competition. Granted I think Brown is the best of the 3 and deserves to be our #2 CB, but neither Rogers or Culliver is a #1. With that said Rogers needs to restructure his deal or hit the road. Why pay him #1 money when he is not better then Brown? So given the money factor and talent I'd say we need a #1 CB that isn't currently on this team.

So from my point of view we need a New Starting #1CB & Safety. Brown stays as our #2 CB and Culliver at #3 CB. The new Safety plays either FS or SS with Goldson taking the other spot.

Now the #1 CB is going to come from FA/Trade. Our new starting Safety can be obtained through the Draft/FA.

The Rest of the Team:

Special Teams: Keep Akers, obviously Lee and LMJ is our new KR/PR.

Offense: The only 2 positions that I am concered with is a #2 TE and a Big Bodied WR. First the #2 TE, Harbaugh loves big TE's that can catch and block and this is the year he is going to get that player in the draft. A Big Bodied WR is an obvious pick. Most likely through the draft in rounds 3 or 4. Lets face it we have talent at WR, just none of them are taller then 6ft 2inch. Granted Mario & Kyle are coming off injuries and AJ Jenkins didn't do anything this year, they are all signed through next year. Mario looked great until his injury and at some point they need to give AJ the opportunity to succeed. Mario and Kyle are in contract years, so that is motivation in its own to get back and have an impact.

Defense: I already stated my case for the Secondary. At LB we bring back ILB Gooden and both Parys Haralson & Darius Fleming coming off injuries give us the depth we lack at OLB, not to mention how much stronger our special teams will be. Finally the Dline: We need to find a new NT in the draft. We need an IMPACT Stud NT. This is the position I hope we trade up for and make a splash. Our top pick needs to be a NT. Last but not least the DE position needs a new face or 2 to rotate in with the rest of the guys. Hopefully that person and or one of those people can replace Justin down the road.

Thats it for me. So to Recap:

We need 3 NEW Starters that are currently not on the team. CB, Safety, NT

We need 4 NEW situational/backup/role players that are currently not on the team. TE, WR, DE, DE

I think all but the #1 CB is available in the draft. The more the 49ers get in FA, the less they need in the draft and allows for more movement. I see no reason why the 49ers can't come away from the draft with a Starting NT, Starting Safety and 4 backups at TE, WR, DE and DE. Considering how many picks we will have this should be easily doable for Trent.
On the XM-Sirus NFL Network, they said our safety Donte W. has got to go! They say he's too much of a liability in pass coverage.
[ Edited by Olejohnnyboy on Feb 4, 2013 at 9:00 PM ]
Originally posted by jones49:
Along with every other team in the league, we could use another corner. Honestly we should look at the Seahawk model and scout some of those type of corners.

I was thinking the same thing.
Originally posted by gavindirishmen:
You guys are so full of it. Whitner and Goldson were good enough until our pass rush disappeared around week 12.
Almost all secondaries will look ordinary without consistent pressure on the QB. So you can
all pile on about Culliver, Whitner and Goldson in the SuperBowl. But where were you earlier in the season?
Nowhere because Aldon and Justin were getting home.
That's why you can bet they're going to draft one of a number of very large powerful defensive tackles who are available in the draft. I want them to move up to take Jesse Williams - 6'5", 330, non-stop motor, crushes the pocket, occupies two blockers - the whole package. He should be still there in the middle towards the bottom of the first.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Would love to swap Whitner out for Byrd and move DG to strong safety, one can dream...

This.....damn, that would be something, hard hitting SS with Goldson and total ballhawk with Byrd.
One big powerful difference maker who always occupies two blockers on the D-line and then a couple more DT's for depth. Another safety and hopefully a taller, fast shut-down corner.
Originally posted by father49er:
We need another cover corner so we can move Cully over to safety to replace Whitner. Come on down Mr. Revis. We shoulda got a run stopper to cover the loss of Harralson.

Ronnie Lott was moved to safety, so I could see the Niner resigning Goldson and moving Culliver to safety and drafting a couple cb in the draft. I would draft 3 cb having 14 picks--you might get a late gem.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
That's why you can bet they're going to draft one of a number of very large powerful defensive tackles who are available in the draft. I want them to move up to take Jesse Williams - 6'5", 330, non-stop motor, crushes the pocket, occupies two blockers - the whole package. He should be still there in the middle towards the bottom of the first.

He might even get lost in the shuffle a bit, I don't see him getting as much hype as some of the other guys because he's not a pass rusher really, he'll get overlooked, if they can draft him in the 1st round, I won't be upset.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Garcia:
is it me or is he donte whitner 2.0

Benard Pollard is donte whitner 2.0. Box safeties that can't cover tight ends to save their lives.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
The pass rush that was covering for a suspect secondary disappeared in the play-offs, we need a big time pass rusher.

Originally posted by BobS:
The pass rush that was covering for a suspect secondary disappeared in the play-offs, we need a big time pass rusher.

While I agree we need a big time pass rusher since justin smith isn't getting any younger, i think we need a shut down corner just as bad.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gavindirishmen:
You guys are so full of it. Whitner and Goldson were good enough until our pass rush disappeared around week 12.
Almost all secondaries will look ordinary without consistent pressure on the QB. So you can
all pile on about Culliver, Whitner and Goldson in the SuperBowl. But where were you earlier in the season?
Nowhere because Aldon and Justin were getting home.

Whitner isn't good enough when we need him to defend a quality tight end. His deficiencies against Tight ends only puts more pressure on Bowman and Willis.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
While I agree we need a big time pass rusher since justin smith isn't getting any younger, i think we need a shut down corner just as bad.

Generally you can have a high price DL or high price CB's..you really can't have both...I'll prefer the DL, a high quality DL can rush the passer, making your CB's look better as a whole, they can also stuff the run. The Giants won 2 Superbowls with great DL's and meh secondaries.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 4, 2013 at 9:52 PM ]
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hopper:
Benard Pollard is donte whitner 2.0. Box safeties that can't cover tight ends to save their lives.

I'd take whitner over pollard.

but damn, whitner is frustrating sometimes.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Generally you can have a high price DL or high price CB's.....I'll prefer the DL, a high quality DL can rush the passer, making your CB's look better as a whole, they can also stuff the run. The Giants won 2 Superbowls with great DL's and meh secondaries.

Yeah I think a replacement to start tuning for Justin is more important then a better Corner, but its still a huge need, we need a big physical corner similar to Sherman with less assholishness, because receivers are getting bigger and more physical and Brown, Cully and Rogers can only be so physical when a receiver can still out reach and out leap them.
Share 49ersWebzone