There are 155 users in the forums

What is your biggest priority for improving the 2013 roster?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think Fangio is going to have to start rotating some of the guys on the DL. I would draft a couple of good DE and start grooming them to take Cowboys place. But these guy playing every down most of the season is taking its toll by the playoffs.
Originally posted by rudedog:
I think Fangio is going to have to start rotating some of the guys on the DL. I would draft a couple of good DE and start grooming them to take Cowboys place. But these guy playing every down most of the season is taking its toll by the playoffs.

I agree.
Originally posted by rudedog:

This. I agree completely. There needs to be a viable rotation of at least 3 DE's throughout the game, as well as 3 OLB's rotating in and out.
I really don't think we're going to cut Whitner. He has been a liability in coverage at times but he also is good at identifying plays and making the right calls on defense. The problem is there aren't a lot of great safeties out there. I think Goldson should definitely be re-signed, although not if he is insisting on an uneasonable salary. As for CB's I think that's where our biggest weaknesses lie. How many years did we sign Rogers? I thought it was 3 years. I don't think they'll just cut him, and really he hasn't played all that bad, but he hasn't gotten the interceptions he got last year. I actually think he weakest link amongst the CB's is Culliver. The guy may have upside, and thus may be coached up, but I've never been impressed with him. I've seen him give up a lot of big plays and he tends to talk trash even when he's getting owned.

As far as DL is concerned, we most definitely need depth there. I think the reason we don't get consistent pressure on the QB is that our players get fatigued playing every down. We have to fix this problem. We need to be able to get consistent pressure on the QB. If we can add depth to the DLine and shore up our secondary this defense can be scary good. And with our offense already showing its explosive potential with Kaepernick, the 49ers can possibly have the most dominant team in the league.
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Safety Jarius Byrd from Buffalo is a FA. He's very good.

I don't know how much $ he'll want or if he's a RFA.

is it me or is he donte whitner 2.0

How tall is Byrd? Whitner is too short to cover tight ends
  • dj43
Just re-watched the game with a particular focus on Sopoaga. He played very well. I would five him an 8 out of 10. He occupied blockers well. Made one play behind the LOS. The Ravens got very little through his area of the field.

As I said above, he was not as good this season as last but in this game, he played well. I would not break the bank to keep him here but if he agreed to a reasonable contract, I have no problem with re-signing him.
Originally posted by lamontb:
They too tight on the cap to make any major free agent moves. And we have to look at the pass rush as well. I mean the secondary did get torched but Brooks, and both Smiths were non factors. If Williams and Manningham are back healthy then I don't think they need to make any major WR moves. And AJ Jenkins has to show up.

i think aldon has been playing hurt in the playoffs
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
When is Watt a free agent?

We need to get him to replace Smith when he declines or leaves.

Man I wish this would happen but there is no way the texans are going to let this kid go.
Don't expect anything significant. For some reason Jim tries to red-shirt every rookie. We'll pretty have have the same starters, hopefully more depth. Have to pray they don't draft another AJ Jenkins
WHO'S GOT IT BETTER THAN US?! NOBODY!! #49ERS #QuestForSix

Get Revis! I'd rather have Revis for a year than a rookie who is not even going to play.
  • buck
  • Veteran
First, I think we need to replace Sopoaga. He has gotten old.
I like Brandon Williams in the second.

Second, Unless we trade up in the first, I do not think that we will find a replacement for Justin Smith in this draft.
Maybe Datone Jones or Sharrif Floyd will fall to us, but I would hesitate to spend a first round pick on a player to be a back-up for the next year.
But, if we could trade up to get Sheldon Richardson, I would do that.

Third, there are three tight ends that I like-- Tyler Eifert, Zach Ertz, and Travis Kelce.
Kelce might be the best value if we could get him in the third.

Fourth, DeAndre Hopkins might be a good first round pick.

Eifert would be great!!!!!!!!!!!!
Trade up for more dynamic players who might make a difference, could have used a pass rusher this year, and then fill in the openings with FAs. Baalke and Harbaugh tend to do this and it is a very effective way to manage both the salary cap and keep the pipeline full with significant talent.

Can they get an impact pass rusher? DB? WR? NT? If they can get any truly great prospect at any of those positions they should go for it...not sold on the idea of going in needing a certain position...other GMs might eat you alive in trades.
Share 49ersWebzone