There are 153 users in the forums

Bitter Joe Montana says '89 team would beat this years team

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Another advantage that the 89 team had was players playing together for a longer period of time. We are happy that we had the same OL for 1 year together. It wouldn't surprise me if the 89 team had the same OL together for 5 years. The 89 49ers had to play against defenses with more advantages in pass defense, and they still sliced up defenses. They would have carved up teams even more if the defenses were hamstrung with today's rules.

Players today are bigger and faster, so it is hard to know how that would have affect such a game, but it is really the only advantage that today's team would have over the 89 team.
One week of prep time I think the 2012 niners would stomp them but if you gave Walsh a 2 weeks time he'd walk away with it.
Come on though. Is that really the thing to say right now? It is like him saying that he would have won 4 super bowls with Steve Young's 49ers. Just classless. I love cool Joe but he has got a big mouth and bad timing.
Niners vs NINERS! Why would we care who would win, the good thing is that WE as fans would win either way!
Let's get six and then we can compare the 6 teams, until then...

GO NINERS!!!!!
[ Edited by glorydayz on Feb 3, 2013 at 8:38 AM ]
With the rules today, Lott, Haley, and Romanowski would be ejected in the first quarter.
I think the correct word would be BETTER not bitter. Joe IMHO is correct. That team was scarry good Tim McKyer and Don Griffin were better than any of these corners we have now. The passs rush was also relentless and not to mention the exciting well precisioned offense. Enough of the comparisons, that was then this is now here's to hoping this new era of PWILLY and CK can begin making their own in roads to something great. GO NINERS! I am proud of all of the past generation of 49er players.
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
The '89 team would have never lost to the Lambs, nor would they have been raped by the Russell Wilson. Then again, which one of the DL is out for that game, Kevin f*gan, the Olympic medalist Michael Carter, or Pierce Holt?

I thought they lost to L.A. in the regular season.
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
With the rules today, Lott, Haley, and Romanowski would be ejected in the first quarter.

Saw Romanowski picked the Ravens to win...must still be on the cocaine
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RabidNiner:

Sheep cells and Amino acids!lol
"BITTER" - How the hell do you see what he says as "Bitter".

You are WAYYYYYYY off base.

Originally posted by RabidNiner:

He was always a twerp.

Playing by the rules back then, our LBs would have a field day
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
first off i am sick of people like montana and rice trying to hog the spotlight in the last two weeks. they just need to shut up and let a new generation take over... that being said, montana is right. that 89 team would have beat this years niner team and probably any other team in the history of the nfl.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YungAce:

Playing by the rules back then, our LBs would have a field day
Hey youngsters, you are mixing up your decades again. The biggest rules limiting the defense were put in during the late 70's, not late 80's.
Originally posted by PrisonOfGlass:
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
The '89 team would have never lost to the Lambs, nor would they have been raped by the Russell Wilson. Then again, which one of the DL is out for that game, Kevin f*gan, the Olympic medalist Michael Carter, or Pierce Holt?

I thought they lost to L.A. in the regular season.

The current day STL Rams. The Rams in 89 actually went to the NFC title game.
Share 49ersWebzone