LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Bitter Joe Montana says '89 team would beat this years team

Shop Find 49ers gear online
NEW ORLEANS -- A win on Sunday against the Baltimore Ravens would make the San Francisco 49ers a perfect 6-0 in Super Bowl appearances, but Joe Montana isn't ready to place this year's squad up there with the juggernaut he presided over. Darlington: Two of a kind Ed Reed and Randy Moss: Two legends chasing that elusive Super Bowl ring. Jeff Darlington chronicles opposing icons. More ... I caught up with the Hall of Fame quarterback at the 2nd Annual NFL Honors gathering on Saturday and asked how the 1989 49ers -- perhaps Montana's most dominant 49ers squad -- would have fared against the 2012 version. "That would be bad for this year's team," Montana said. "That was one of, I think, our more explosive teams all around, offensively and defensively. It would have been a good matchup, I think, but two different styles." Montana was quick to compliment coach Jim Harbaugh's handiwork, and emphasized the stylistic differences between this year's 49ers and those championship squads of old. In some sort of alternate universe, it would be fascinating to watch the teams compete, but what San Francisco is doing with Colin Kaepernick under center is all about the present. These 49ers are just beginning to write their story. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000134290/article/joe-montana-niners-from-89-would-beat-current-team IMO, players today are just too physically gifted and the while the 89 team was great, I dont think they could physically match up across the board
[ Edited by spizzy on Feb 2, 2013 at 5:32 PM ]
He's probably right. That '89 team was crazy good.
Joe is right in my opinion, that team would most likely have thumped our team this year...or pretty much any team from any year.
They were the best of that era but I don't see anyone being able to match up with the freaks we have. VD, Aldon, Iupati, Kaep, etc
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Someone needs to invent Holodeck technology so we can find out!
How does that make Joe bitter?
Originally posted by SofaKing:

This, that team was an absolute and utter juggernaut that just flat-out rolled people, loaded with talented veterans and explosive young players. One of the top Superbowl winning teams of all time, if not the best Superbowl winning team of all-time.
Lol, Joe isn't bitter. That 89 team was arguably one of the best teams in NFL history. This year's team is good, but it's not anywhere near the '89 team.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SofaKing:

This, that team was an absolute and utter juggernaut that just flat-out rolled people, loaded with talented veterans and explosive young players. One of the top Superbowl winning teams of all time, if not the best Superbowl winning team of all-time.

My bad, incorrect post.
[ Edited by dcsham on Feb 2, 2013 at 5:40 PM ]
  • BobS
  • Veteran
They were 14-2 and outscored their play-off opponents 126-26. There was no salary cap in that era, so strong teams had way less weak spots. 20+ years of players getting stronger and faster may have closed the gap, but the 1989 squad would win pretty easy.

lol Jerry would get 300+ yards and 5+ TDs on whoever we'd have on him
[ Edited by InconvenienTTruth21 on Feb 2, 2013 at 5:38 PM ]
Joe has few rings, a hot wit, a great house, and near perfect life...he aint bitter! He's just right, the 89 team is possibly the greatest team in NFL history.
The '89 team would have never lost to the Lambs, nor would they have been raped by the Russell Wilson. Then again, which one of the DL is out for that game, Kevin f*gan, the Olympic medalist Michael Carter, or Pierce Holt?
I have no problem with him saying that.
How it bitter ? That is possibly the greatest football team EVER.

That team was awesome on both sides of the ball.
Share 49ersWebzone