There are 156 users in the forums

Bitter Joe Montana says '89 team would beat this years team

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Comparing teams from different eras can only be done if you adjust for physical inflation. You should look at the realtive size/weight of each line to the average of that era to decide how much more or less dominant they might be to each other. You shouldn't compare them directly.

"Training methods" continually evolve in effectiveness. The athletes should be judged based on how well or poorly they do in their own "training" milieu.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
I'm not going to pretend that I know which team would have beaten the other, but there is something there in the size of today's players. 300 lb lineman were few and far between back then. It wasn't until the 90's cowboys that every player on the o-line was over 300 lbs. When our current Niners go big there are almost 2,000 lbs of men on the line. The game of yesteryear would definitely have problems dealing with that.
What about the Hogs in Washington or Bubba Paris
And he would be 100% correct. But they're all Niners so who cares?!?!
Originally posted by jonr422000:
I'm not going to pretend that I know which team would have beaten the other, but there is something there in the size of today's players. 300 lb lineman were few and far between back then. It wasn't until the 90's cowboys that every player on the o-line was over 300 lbs. When our current Niners go big there are almost 2,000 lbs of men on the line. The game of yesteryear would definitely have problems dealing with that.
What about the Hogs in Washington or Bubba Paris

The 1982 Hogs averaged 273 pounds
Originally posted by candlestick49er:
The 1982 Hogs averaged 273 pounds

in 82 we are talking 89
I see a stalemate in this one. Roger is not doing anything in the flats or the underneath for that matter. Rice would be a problem but Taylor would have a warm blanket over him all night long. Brent would be a go to guy for Joe with impunity; similar to the way Witten wasted our team last year.

The thing is this I think ol' crazy Haley would always hit Kaep on the Read option. He might get him self thrown out the game but he'd do it for the team. I am just not sure if he'd succeed in taking Kaep out of the game (That would be Lotts Job).
This team hasn't won anything yet so as far as I'm concerned its not as good as any of our other Superbowl teams. We win then we can make comparisons. Otherwise not worthy.
Bitter? Lol
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
How does that make Joe bitter?

• BobS
  • Veteran
You guys are all acting like 1989 is 1964. I was born in 1961 and played football in High School and at a D3 College. My high school had a 260 pound line average (1975-1978), and there were three 300 pound lineman on my little D3 college team. One of my jobs in college was helping run the summer passing leagues for the High School guys. Guess what? There were High School kids running 4.4's back in the 70's, one kid from ran a 4.3 (He was pretty small). Lineman are bigger than the 1989 version, but it is just more fat. I played linebacker, weighed 220, I ran across quite a few 180 pound guys who were a pain in the ass to move out of the way and 300 pound guys who you could shove on the ground with one hand. Also for those pulling the 1989 rosters, in the McKittrick era the 49ers preferred smaller quicker lineman for complex blocking schemes that required a lot of pulling and trap blocking. Like I said football on all levels made a big leap forward from the mid 60's to the mid 70's. I am not reading Wikipedia articles, I lived then, and being a natural skinny kid, I was doing everything I could to get bigger. In 1970 I think your available supplements were vitamins and something called weight on (high calories chewable tablets) . By the late 1970's health food stores had hordes of supplements that helped you train longer and put on weight. Big gains in the sport of body building (due to steroids) gave way to lots of books on advanced weight training and nutrition in the late 70's that weren't available a half decade earlier.

• kray28
  • Veteran
The 89 team was like an All Star team and many of the best players were in their primes. Match up their best with the current team's best and it really doesn't look promising for the current team.

A comparison of the skill positions is pretty glaring. On the line, size isn't everything. The Niners won with a smaller more athletic line.

Anyways, Joe was being honest, and I believe he was quite correct.
[ Edited by kray28 on Feb 3, 2013 at 8:12 AM ]
Originally posted by ArmchairQB:
You Pick 'Em

Qb - Joe Montana or Colin Kaepernick
Rb - Roger Craig or Frank Gore
Fb - Tom Rathman or Bruce Miller
Wr - Jerry Rice or Michael Crabtree
Wr - John Taylor or Randy Moss
Te - Brent Jones or Vernon Davis
Lt - Bubba Parris or Joe Staley
Lg - Guy McIntyre or Mike Iupati
C - Jesse Sapolu or Jonathan Goodwin
Rg - Bruce Collie or Alex Boone
Rt - Harris Barton or Anthony Davis

Le - Charles Haley or Aldon Smith
Dt - Michael Carter or Justin Smith
Dt - Pierce Holt or Issac Sopoaga
Re - Kevin f*gan or Ray McDonald
LOLB - Matt Millen or Ahmad Brooks
ILB - Michael Walter or Navarro Bowman
ROLB - Keena Turner or Patrick Willis
Cb - Don Griffen or Carlos Rogers
Cb - Daryll Pollard or Terrell Brown
S - Ronnie Lott or Dashon Goldson
S - Chet Brooks or Donte Whitner

K - Mike Cofer or David Akers
P - Barry Helton or Andy Lee
PR - John Taylor or Ted Ginn
KR - Terrance Flagler or LaMichael James

Technically speaking we were a 3-4 not a 4-3. I believe Haley was an OLB and eventually DE with Dallas and return to us.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kray28:
The 89 team was like an All Star team and many of the best players were in their primes. Match up their best with the current team's best and it really doesn't look promising for the current team.

A comparison of the skill positions is pretty glaring. One the line, size isn't everything. The Niners won with a smaller more athletic line.

Anyways, Joe was being honest, and I believe he was quite correct.
Thank you, our lines were smaller than league average. Everyone thinks an extra 50 pounds of fat automatically makes a better lineman. Look at some of the guts on these guys compared with 20 years ago, it definitely isn't the difference of more muscle. Watch these new MMA fights, some 350 pound guys get killed even trying to wrestle guys weighing 220, the small guys take advantage of quickness and use the big guys weight against them. What sport is closer to line play than wrestling?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
The 1994 team would stack up well with any 49ers team of the past. Averaged almost 37 points during there 10 game win streak (31.6 for the season) and average margin of victory was 20 points a game. Also averaged almost 44 points per game in the playoffs.
Share 49ersWebzone