There are 81 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Bitter Joe Montana says '89 team would beat this years team

The 89 team was not athletic enough. If you thought the packers chasing CK was bad this would be straight up comedy. Plus Joe would be taken off on a stetcher in the first quarter
aldon smith would murder joe
I am so glad I am old enough to remember the 1989 team well. If they play under current rules, the 1989 team may score 100 points. Seriously.

When it comes to comparing teams in different eras, I prefer to compare them to their contemporaries. The 1989 team dominated at a level never before seen.

It is pointless to use the whole today's athletes are bigger, stronger, etc argument. If we are going to pull out that argument, then there would be no need to compare teams in any sports across eras because the nod would always go to the more recent team. It would make the 2012 Jacksonville Jaguars better than the 1964 Cleveland Browns for example. Sure the athletes are better, but if we are ranking the greatest teams in NFL history, no one is going to get on their soapbox and argue that the Jags are better .
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

aldon hasn't had a sack in like 2 months
1989 would totally destroy this 2012 sqad. 2013 may be a different story.
Steve Wallace would beat everybody on the '12 49ers at the nutcracker drill

Originally posted by ArmchairQB:
1989 Team - For our younger fans

Qb - Joe Montana
Rb - Roger Craig
Fb - Tom Rathman
Wr - Jerry Rice
Wr - John Taylor
Te - Brent Jones
Lt - Bubba Parris
Lg - Guy McIntyre
C - Jesse Sapolu
Rg - Bruce Collie
Rt - Harris Barton

Le - Charles Haley
Dt - Michael Carter
Dt - Pierce Holt
Re - Kevin f*gan
LOLB - Matt Millen
ILB - Michael Walter
ROLB - Keena Turner
Cb - Don Griffen
Cb - Daryll Pollard
S - Ronnie Lott
S - Chet Brooks

K - Mike Cofer
P - Barry Helton
PR - John Taylor
KR - Terrance Flagler
From the post on this internet site and the communication in there post's, I think half or maybe more never heard of 3/4 of this 89 team. But they have seen Kevin f*gan played if you asked
Watch the vido interview that the writer used as source. Not bitter, not anything negative. As a matter of fact he says it's a different game now with QB's like Kap and goes on to complement the current team. The column you read is just another writer trying to stir things up and make a story where there is none, except for actually a good story..NINERS!!
Im not surprised Montana said that. He wouldnt go back on a team he took to greatness.
Originally posted by ninerfan52:
Originally posted by ArmchairQB:
1989 Team - For our younger fans

Qb - Joe Montana
Rb - Roger Craig
Fb - Tom Rathman
Wr - Jerry Rice
Wr - John Taylor
Te - Brent Jones
Lt - Bubba Parris
Lg - Guy McIntyre
C - Jesse Sapolu
Rg - Bruce Collie
Rt - Harris Barton

Le - Charles Haley
Dt - Michael Carter
Dt - Pierce Holt
Re - Kevin f*gan
LOLB - Matt Millen
ILB - Michael Walter
ROLB - Keena Turner
Cb - Don Griffen
Cb - Daryll Pollard
S - Ronnie Lott
S - Chet Brooks

K - Mike Cofer
P - Barry Helton
PR - John Taylor
KR - Terrance Flagler
From the post on this internet site and the communication in there post's, I think half or maybe more never heard of 3/4 of this 89 team. But they have seen Kevin f*gan played if you asked

he is the reason I'm a 9er fan
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I am so glad I am old enough to remember the 1989 team well. If they play under current rules, the 1989 team may score 100 points. Seriously.

When it comes to comparing teams in different eras, I prefer to compare them to their contemporaries. The 1989 team dominated at a level never before seen.

It is pointless to use the whole today's athletes are bigger, stronger, etc argument. If we are going to pull out that argument, then there would be no need to compare teams in any sports across eras because the nod would always go to the more recent team. It would make the 2012 Jacksonville Jaguars better than the 1964 Cleveland Browns for example. Sure the athletes are better, but if we are ranking the greatest teams in NFL history, no one is going to get on their soapbox and argue that the Jags are better .

Logic on 49erswebzone?

Some great points you made there, I absolutely concur!
I think the 89 team vs 94 team would be interesting.

I think that 94 team was unreal.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

Lol wut
NFL has changed too much.......that team is too small

320± pound guys can't deal with this front 7

guys lets be real....Joe's oline would be DESTROYED by guys like Justin Smith.
Originally posted by ninerfan52:

Not because they're both white, but Justin Smith is a bigger and stronger version of Kevin F*gan. They pretty much dominated the run and bull rushed the passer.
[ Edited by FunkNinerFlex on Feb 2, 2013 at 11:01 PM ]