LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

Bitter Joe Montana says '89 team would beat this years team

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Bitter? -Seriously, what is wrong with this forum and its hate for Joe? -I mean I understand 80% of the fanbase here grew up during the Steve Young era, but come on.

Joe is right, too. -I love this 2012 squad with all my heart right now, but that '89 team didn't get blown out by a division rival by 40+ points, they laid the damage themselves on other teams (Superbowl result speaks for itself). -Sorry kids.

That 1989 team was insane, so much talent that even the depth could have been starters on any other team in the NFL that year. -NFL.com had a poll last summer, and that team won as the GREATEST SUPERBOWL TEAM IN HISTORY according to fan voting.
Originally posted by spizzy:
They were the best of that era but I don't see anyone being able to match up with the freaks we have. VD, Aldon, Iupati, Kaep, etc
That was just over 20 years ago and athletes in general may be slightly bigger and faster but it's still a team sport. That was a great team and this is only a good team.
The difference in athletic ability isn't enough in that short a time period to make a difference. At 39 I was playing competive sports against 22-25 year olds and kicking their butts with experience and knowledge of the game. So a 20 year difference aint nothing.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
I am a HUGE JOE fan but there's no way that team could compete with the athletes of today. Our lineman are over 300-lbs and todays team would have run for 500 yards against the 89 team. They'd control the ball and Joe would have never had the chance to make any comeback.

Sorry Joe fans but reality has to set in...20 years from now the 49er players of 2033 would beat the team of today
Originally posted by Chico:
I am a HUGE JOE fan but there's no way that team could compete with the athletes of today. Our lineman are over 300-lbs and todays team would have run for 500 yards against the 89 team. They'd control the ball and Joe would have never had the chance to make any comeback.

Sorry Joe fans but reality has to set in...20 years from now the 49er players of 2033 would beat the team of today

I do believe the athletes of today are bigger and faster than athletes 20 years ago but not by much. 40 years ago, that's another story. But there's no way I can see Staley or Davis trying to check Haley on passing downs. He's was as big as Aldon is now, but with better moves and counters.
If we are comparing the 89 team for that era to this team for this era, then yes, the 89 team was far better. However, if we are straight up comparing them against each other then I think this team would absolutely thump that 89 team. I love Joe Montana, but there is no way those players can compete with the athleticism, speed, size, and strength of today's players.
I'm out, hilarious.
Originally posted by FunkNinerFlex:

I do believe the athletes of today are bigger and faster than athletes 20 years ago but not by much. 40 years ago, that's another story. But there's no way I can see Staley or Davis trying to check Haley on passing downs. He's was as big as Aldon is now, but with better moves and counters.

there are many variables to account for..one being, 20 years ago DB's were nailing wideouts in the head with ANY part of their body...the PI call wasnt then what it is now...but I agree that the fact that this day in the NFL there are 350 lb players that can run really fast...freakish athletes of todays teams would prob win the battle
[ Edited by MertonHanksneck on Feb 2, 2013 at 6:11 PM ]
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Not bitter just Honest. If you think this team stands a chance against the greatest team in History....
I tend to agree with him.

That might have been the best team to ever step on the field.

• jimrat
  • Veteran
Montana bitter lol had to double check to see if I was on the right website
Joe is a f**king genius! What a sly way to light a fire under the team's asses. Joe is not only demanding a win he wants them to try and perform to the 89 team's standards.
I just looked up Madden and apparently the current team is rated a 89. In the past Madden's the '89 team was rated 99.
Right now he's right. If they win the superbowl. Then you start debating that,but intill then he's correct.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Nothing bitter about that. I would put our 1989 SF 49ers team against anyone! Yes players now are bigger and more physical, but a lot of them lack discipline and heart. Though players now are more physical the game back then was more physical and violent. Majority of players now havent endured those kind of violence and hits that would make you think twice. I can only imagine Randy Moss thinks he is going to run a nice fly route.lol These guys from the 80's will try to remove your head off! There's a reason why smaller, skinnier, faster players actually see the field to play. Back then players like WR Desean Jackson may not even see the field to play and if he does it would be short lived.
Share 49ersWebzone