LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 389 users in the forums

Bitter Joe Montana says '89 team would beat this years team

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I would have to agree. They had two very dangerous wide receivers in Jerry Rice and John Taylor. They had Charles Haley as their DE and Bill Romanowski as their LB. Michael Carter as the Nose Tackle. Then Ronnie Lott who put a lot of people out of the game. Brent Jones as the TE. Roger Craig as their RB, and of course two of the best QB's who are now in the Hall of fame.

They blew out everyone in the playoffs: 41-13 Vikings, 30-3 Rams and of course blew out what's his face (Bucky Beaver)in Denver: 55 -10

Pretty hard to beat the above combination.

The current team barely beat Atlanta and let's see how they do against the Ravens.
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Feb 2, 2013 at 6:42 PM ]
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by real9erfan:
If we are comparing the 89 team for that era to this team for this era, then yes, the 89 team was far better. However, if we are straight up comparing them against each other then I think this team would absolutely thump that 89 team. I love Joe Montana, but there is no way those players can compete with the athleticism, speed, size, and strength of today's players.
You are getting your era's mixed up, pretty modern training methods including supplements, weight training, and even steroids were in place the NFL by the mid 70's. You have to go back to the 60's to find smaller, slower guys who weren't training with weights, were just using football drills for conditioning, and knew nothing about nutrition. We are talking about a 1989 team, there may be a size, strength and speed difference, but it is minimal. Most skill position players are the same size now as in 1989, the lineman are bigger, but it is mostly just more fat around the waist.
'12 team needs to win the Super Bowl before it can be compared to the all time great 49ers teams
Well Joe is right

Don't be a hater because you were just an embryo when those of us old enough experienced his legendary greatness

You young people only ever look at stats to measure who the greats were. Watching them change the course of a game single handedly was another beast completely. A sight to behold.
Bitter? Joe speaks truth. That 89 team will kill this one.
The Salary Cap says "hi."
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
'12 team needs to win the Super Bowl before it can be compared to the all time great 49ers teams

Agreed. If they win then you can start comparing them to superbowl teams.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MertonHanksneck:
there are many variables to account for..one being, 20 years ago DB's were nailing wideouts in the head with ANY part of their body...the PI call wasnt then what it is now...but I agree that the fact that this day in the NFL there are 350 lb players that can run really fast...freakish athletes of todays teams would prob win the battle
In the 2012 combine there were two sub 5 second lineman a 4.94 and 4.99, most were 5.3 and worse, probably the same speed they ran 20 years ago. Put up the 40 times of the really fast 350 pound guys.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
The Salary Cap says "hi."

Regardless, his statement is still true.
Maybe he's just saying that so the team will hear this and do a big collective "OH YEAH JOE???"
[ Edited by KowboyKiller on Feb 2, 2013 at 6:45 PM ]

Those guys are really old now, don't see how they could compete.

*trollface.
Originally posted by BobS:
You are getting your era's mixed up, pretty modern training methods including supplements, weight training, and even steroids were in place the NFL by the mid 70's. You have to go back to the 60's to find smaller, slower guys who weren't training with weights, were just using football drills for conditioning, and knew nothing about nutrition. We are talking about a 1989 team, there may be a size, strength and speed difference, but it is minimal. Most skill position players are the same size now as in 1989, the lineman are bigger, but it is mostly just more fat around the waist.

Maybe you're right. I just don't remember seeing players with this size and speed across the board. Sure, there were players that had similar freakish athleticism to what we see today. But I don't remember seeing it across the board, in terms of O Line, D Line, LBs, QBs, etc. But I could be wrong about that.
That's not bitter he's right that 1989 team was ridiculously awesome our defense was as tough as any and our offense was impossible to cover let alone stop and even if we lost Joe, Steve Young was dangerous and Bono was reliable. Our depth that year was incredible unlikely to be seen again in the NFL the Pro Bowl that year could've been the 49ers vs the AFC.
Originally posted by BobS:

I agree, if you go back to the 60's and even 70's you'll see a pronounced difference in, for a better word, mass, than the players of today. The players today are bigger and they break down more frequently. Maybe in 30 years we won't be able to stack up the 89 Niners against teams, but todays teams couldn't stay close.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erStorm:
Bitter? Joe speaks truth. That 89 team will kill this one.

um no
Share 49ersWebzone