There are 132 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Bitter Joe Montana says '89 team would beat this years team

I watched the replay of that game last nite, and one thing that really seemed to stand out to me was the overall speed was a little slower than it is today.
So givin the new and improved training techniques and just the continuing evolution of all sports I don't see those older teams being able to play the same game as today..

Can you imagine if there was a Kaepernick or RGIII back in the 70's 80's?
Originally posted by Kaepmandu:
I watched the replay of that game last nite, and one thing that really seemed to stand out to me was the overall speed was a little slower than it is today.
So givin the new and improved training techniques and just the continuing evolution of all sports I don't see those older teams being able to play the same game as today..

Randall Cunningham is a pretty decent comparison
Originally posted by PrisonOfGlass:
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
The '89 team would have never lost to the Lambs, nor would they have been raped by the Russell Wilson. Then again, which one of the DL is out for that game, Kevin f*gan, the Olympic medalist Michael Carter, or Pierce Holt?

I thought they lost to L.A. in the regular season.
The Rams played them tough that year. That was the year they were talking about Jim Everett being the next Joe Montana. The Rams won in LA something like 13-12 and then in SF, it was that famous game where the Niners came back on them with two John Taylor catch and runs of over 90 yards and the Niners won 30-27. They played the Rams in the NFC championship game and the Niners blew them out 30-3. I was in LA working with a bunch of Rams fans at the time and the headline in the LA Times the next day was "THE SAN FRANCISCO CHAINSAW MASSACRE".
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Well Joe is right

Don't be a hater because you were just an embryo when those of us old enough experienced his legendary greatness

You young people only ever look at stats to measure who the greats were. Watching them change the course of a game single handedly was another beast completely. A sight to behold.
Agreed completely. It really bewilders me that you rarely see the 1989 49ers team mentioned as possibly the greatest football team in history. It's usually the 1989 Bears team or the 72 Dolphins. Both great teams but that 89 team should be in the conversation. the 1985 Bears vs the 1989 49ers would have been an epic showdown.
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Well Joe is right

Don't be a hater because you were just an embryo when those of us old enough experienced his legendary greatness

You young people only ever look at stats to measure who the greats were. Watching them change the course of a game single handedly was another beast completely. A sight to behold.
Agreed completely. It really bewilders me that you rarely see the 1989 49ers team mentioned as possibly the greatest football team in history. It's usually the 1989 Bears team or the 72 Dolphins. Both great teams but that 89 team should be in the conversation. the 1985 Bears vs the 1989 49ers would have been an epic showdown.

You mean the 1985 Bears right?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
joe knows you do not lose superbowls. as much as you love ck , he is not an elite niner quarterback unless he wins a ring.. you never never want to be the first niner qb to lose a superbowl,,
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Well Joe is right

the 84 niners team is in the top five in my opinion
Originally posted by Kaepmandu:

Ever hear of a guy named Bo Jackson? He played pro football and pro baseball and was an All-Pro in both. He never lifted weights, yet he was stronger and faster than any human being. He would outrun Chris Johnson and out muscle Steven Jackson if he was playing today. He ran a 4.1 40 at the combine, no one has come close since.
On that same note, Jerry Rice developed his athleticism by running a lot, catching bricks, doing it the "old school" way. I don't know if improved training techniques have such a great advantage over natural movements.

The Dallas O-line of the 90's was actually bigger than our current line. I think NFL O-line size had reached its peak in the late 90's, and player's aren't getting any bigger, maybe smaller if anything.

I guarantee that the 89 49ers were not slower. Kaep is faster than Montana. Talyor was just as fast as Moss. Rice was just as fast as Crabtree but quicker than anybody (and was better). Craig was just as fast as Gore. Rathman was just as fast as Miller (and was better). Our O-line was very quick, they were known for their quickness because they were smaller than average.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Feb 3, 2013 at 12:05 PM ]
Originally posted by BobS:
Thank you, our lines were smaller than league average. Everyone thinks an extra 50 pounds of fat automatically makes a better lineman.

this is not a hard concept .....

top linemen on offense and defense are bigger-stronger-faster and have a lower body fat percentage then 20± years ago.

take an ELITE modern OLINE and ELITE front 7 and a team of the 80s will have issues....

sorry guys.... I am a 40 year old fan those teams are my childhood heros....but.....lets be real.......
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Originally posted by BobS:
Thank you, our lines were smaller than league average. Everyone thinks an extra 50 pounds of fat automatically makes a better lineman.

this is not a hard concept .....

top linemen on offense and defense are bigger-stronger-faster and have a lower body fat percentage then 20± years ago.

take an ELITE modern OLINE and ELITE front 7 and a team of the 80s will have issues....

sorry guys.... I am a 40 year old fan those teams are my childhood heros....but.....lets be real.......

Would we be better off if that weight was muscle instead of fat?
if we can lose to the Rams we can lose to one of the best teams in the history of the game
89' was provably the best team ever..so yeah
It's not bitter. And he's right.

That said I like this years team and it's fun to be relevant again.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

Really? It was a great team. But I think the '94 team did things offensively that have never been duplicated. It wasn't just the total numbers --it was the way they did it. The overall statistics for the 94 team were distorted because several times, the game was effectively over halfway through the 3rd period. Floyd/Watters/Rice/Taylor/Jones managed by Shanahan. Is that skill position talent for real?
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

Really? It was a great team. But I think the '94 team did things offensively that have never been duplicated. It wasn't just the total numbers --it was the way they did it. The overall statistics for the 94 team were distorted because several times, the game was effectively over halfway through the 3rd period. Floyd/Watters/Rice/Taylor/Jones managed by Shanahan. Is that skill position talent for real?

I actually think the 94' team is one of the more underrated teams and could be the best of all time. I just have a hard time going against a Montana led squad.