LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 242 users in the forums

What Was The Toughest NFC Title Game Loss For U To Swallow?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What Was The Toughest NFC Title Game Loss For U To Swallow?

Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Wanting to reminisce about painful NFCC losses on the eve of a NFCC seems strange to me. The question wasn't about big games of the past it was about painful NFCC losses specifically.
Sorry but I think it is a s**tty thread considering the timing.

Oooohhhh, wow. So what'cha gonna do? Have some cops come over to my crib and investigate me and my motive on creating this thread?

LOL

Jeez....I swear some of you folks allow yo'emotions take yall too ILLOGICAL places.
[ Edited by ninersoul on Jan 24, 2013 at 5:49 PM ]
It's got to be 1990 - they could have had three in a row! And, nobody seems to remember the blatant offensive PI pushoff they didn't call on the Giants on the pass that helped set them up for their field goal.
Positve thinking …. that's all
Originally posted by ninersoul:
Oooohhhh, wow. So what'cha gonna do? Have some cops come over to my crib and investigate me and my motive on creating this thread?

LOL

Jeez....I swear some of you folks allow yo'emotions take yall too ILLOGICAL places.

What?
I told you that your thread is s**tty and that is all I am going to do.
I don't care what your motive was and I don't care if you are a s**tty fan.
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Jan 24, 2013 at 5:51 PM ]

Originally posted by GNielsen:
It's got to be 1990 - they could have had three in a row! And, nobody seems to remember the blatant offensive PI pushoff they didn't call on the Giants on the pass that helped set them up for their field goal.

I can understand why that game would be at the top of the list. That game makes me crumble each time I look at the highlights.
[ Edited by ninersoul on Jan 24, 2013 at 5:51 PM ]
What?
I told you that your thread is s**tty and that is all I am going to do.
I don't care what your motive was and I don't care if you are a s**tty fan.

And I think your whole "I don't like you creating this thread cuz it is at questionable timing" is not only sh**ty thinking itself, but illogical.

U have a good day.
I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I too have made s**tty threads.
I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I too have made s**tty threads.

Yeah, I mean, nothing is more hurtful than someone telling me that I made s**tty thread.

*searching for some Kleenex*
Originally posted by Leathaface:
I'm not sure if I can handle another NFCCG loss...2 to the Cowboys, 1 each to the Packers and Giants...if we lose tomorrow, I might be done for a while.

Correction - 4 to the Cowboys (70,71,92,93) 2 to the Giants (90,11) 1 to Green Bay (97) and 1 to Washington (83).

1993 Jan. 23 Dallas San Francisco 38-21
1992 Jan. 17 Dallas San Francisco 30-20
1971 Jan. 2 Dallas San Francisco 14-3
1970 Jan. 3 Dallas San Francisco 17-10

2011 Jan. 22 N.Y. Giants San Francisco20-17
1990 Jan. 20 N.Y. Giants San Francisco 15-13

1997 Jan. 11 Green Bay San Francisco 23-10

1983 Jan. 8 Washington San Francisco 24-21
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
The 1990 game by far. That was a great Niner team trying to 3 peat and playing a hated enemy--the Giants. The Craig fumble wasn't even the worst part. It was Montana getting injured when the Niners were up 13-6 and on their way to victory. That was a great Giants defense I give them that. They won the SB with a backup QB.

The first Dallas loss was then again another depressing moment. The Niners had home field, we were 15-2 going into that game. But that game showed a changing of the guard, the Cowboys were so fast and their defense hit so hard. But if the Niners had Charles Haley and not Dallas--the Niners win. I think in that game also Young passed to Rice for a long TD to start the game but it was called back on holding-- a bad omen.

The 93 NFC Title game--the Niners crushed the Giants 44-3 to get to the title game. The Giants had played Dallas tough in the regular season, so once again the hopes were high for the Niners, but Dallas was just too strong.

The Green Bay game--I think that was the year Rice was injured and missed most of the season. TO was coming on strong, but that team just had something missing--maybe it was just Mooch was a different atmosphere from the Walsh/Seifert era Niner teams.

Last years NFC title game--the defense played as good as I can remember any Niner defense play in a playoff game, they were so inspiring and awesome. The offense was the total opposite, it could get nothing done, especially as the game went on, it was very frustrating. Yes Kyle Williams mistakes cost us, but I will remember offensive futility and defensive ferocity just as much.

I know this is simply MHO, but I don't lay the blame all at Kyle's feet. The passing game outside was non-existent (1 rec - 3 yds.). The other problem that gets overlooked is Dashon dam near knocking out Rogers and Brown going after INT's they HAD. I may catch hell for this opinion, but I stand by it. It wasn't JUST Kyle - he was simply the most glaring issue.

Most definitely the 1990 game. No other team could have boasted a three-peat, which more than likely would have happened.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
1990 the 3-peat killer.

Packers beat us two years in a row in the divisional round and we were only one game away from going to the SB this time. I remember thinking there was no way we were going to lose that game. It hurt a lot.
Personally, for me, 1990, hands down. I was actually in Saudi Arabia as part of Desert Storm and had to listen to the game on AFRS. It was like 4 a.m. for us over there Monday Morning, and man, did I ever feel like s**t after that.

Think about this folks - the 49ers played in 6 NFCCG in 7 years ..... and went 3 for 6. 10 NFCCG in 14 years. 5 for 10. Man, we got SPOILED. From 1978 through 2003, 3 QB's played 97% of the snaps (Montana, Young, Garcia). Those days were awesome - methinks we could be seeing the beginnings of another run similar to that starting now.

Niner born and Niner bred, I'll be Niner Faithful even AFTER I'm dead!
Roger Craig's fumble and the two PI calls for the Refskins in 1983.
[ Edited by dbdublin on Jan 24, 2013 at 8:09 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone