LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 133 users in the forums

What Was The Toughest NFC Title Game Loss For U To Swallow?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What Was The Toughest NFC Title Game Loss For U To Swallow?

1990 - Giants out muscled the Big Bad Bully of 3 years

1992 - Cowboys show their run has begun

2011 - Experienced Giants pulled all the dirty pre game and on the field tactics

Each lose had a specific point
1990 - Joe was out. Unlikely we defeat the Bills
1992 - Cowboys were better
2011 - Giants were better

Something that does crack me up is the constant mention of the ''Rice TD called back on holding call''. First of all it was the opening drive and it was the right call. Continuing to bring that up makes us sound like a bunch of delusional losers..
Originally posted by KEGster:
1990 - Giants out muscled the Big Bad Bully of 3 years

1992 - Cowboys show their run has begun

2011 - Experienced Giants pulled all the dirty pre game and on the field tactics

Each lose had a specific point
1990 - Joe was out. Unlikely we defeat the Bills
1992 - Cowboys were better
2011 - Giants were better

Something that does crack me up is the constant mention of the ''Rice TD called back on holding call''. First of all it was the opening drive and it was the right call. Continuing to bring that up makes us sound like a bunch of delusional losers..

Unlikely we beat Buffalo? I think NOT. The Niners were a better team than the Bills and would have destroyed them with Steve Young in my opinion. Pretty sure Bill Walsh would have figured out a way with a future HOF QB at the helm.
  • Veteran
Hands down, Roger Craig's fumble.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Unlikely we beat Buffalo? I think NOT. The Niners were a better team than the Bills and would have destroyed them with Steve Young in my opinion. Pretty sure Bill Walsh would have figured out a way with a future HOF QB at the helm.

george seifert was the HC in 1990
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Here is why

The only reason the Giants defeated the Bills is because they focused on a methodical time possession offense. They knew the only way to defeat the Bills was to keep their hi-octane offense off the field. The Bills ran the ''No Huddle'' offense with the K-Gun. Yes the same offense that almost defeated us in the 1988 Super Bowl (Bengals). Well the Bills took that offense to a whole nother level with Thurman Thomas ripping off a 4.8 average in 1990

But why were the Giants able to do it? With their rushing offense. Here is the rushing totals for the Giants in the 1990 Playoffs
vs Bears - 194
vs SF - 152
vs Bils - 172

49ers rushing totals in the 1990 Playoffs
vs Redskins - 46
vs Giants - 39

We would have been forced into a shoot-out with the Bills and they were the superior offense, especially with Joe Montana out.

Plus, the Super Bowl was played 7 days after the Conference Championships. NOT 2 weeks like these days. This means we would have been forced to come up with a game plan with a backup QB in 5,6 days?

1990 Bills would have defeated us. Sorry guys.
This is EAZZY. Roger Craig's Fumble vs the GIANTS. There was 2:43 left on the clock, 1st down 9ers at the GIANTS 38 we're up 13-12 and all we gotta do is grind out a 1st down somehow some way maybe even a Steve Young Bootleg woulda been a GREAT call and we'd go on to the Super Bowl vs Buffalo. Now granted Montana would not have been able to play in the Super Bowl and that year 1991 January there was no two weeks between the NFC titlegame and the SB so realistcally we might have lost to Buffalo in the SB. Just being real guys. That Bills team was a machine. I still cant figure out how the Giants even kept up with the BILLS outside of Norwood's miss. I figured Buffalo would win 31-13 type game. But still, i'da loved to have the 49ers have a chance at a 3PEAt
  • dj43
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
and u forgot 1983 @ the skins...robbed of a chance to curbstomp the raiders down in tampa due to 2 bogus PI's on Lott & Wright

THIS
even if Riger
Thank God the 49ers have never lost a Superbowl so that we do not have to see another one of these terrible threads this year!
The 1990 game by far. That was a great Niner team trying to 3 peat and playing a hated enemy--the Giants. The Craig fumble wasn't even the worst part. It was Montana getting injured when the Niners were up 13-6 and on their way to victory. That was a great Giants defense I give them that. They won the SB with a backup QB.

The first Dallas loss was then again another depressing moment. The Niners had home field, we were 15-2 going into that game. But that game showed a changing of the guard, the Cowboys were so fast and their defense hit so hard. But if the Niners had Charles Haley and not Dallas--the Niners win. I think in that game also Young passed to Rice for a long TD to start the game but it was called back on holding-- a bad omen.

The 93 NFC Title game--the Niners crushed the Giants 44-3 to get to the title game. The Giants had played Dallas tough in the regular season, so once again the hopes were high for the Niners, but Dallas was just too strong.

The Green Bay game--I think that was the year Rice was injured and missed most of the season. TO was coming on strong, but that team just had something missing--maybe it was just Mooch was a different atmosphere from the Walsh/Seifert era Niner teams.

Last years NFC title game--the defense played as good as I can remember any Niner defense play in a playoff game, they were so inspiring and awesome. The offense was the total opposite, it could get nothing done, especially as the game went on, it was very frustrating. Yes Kyle Williams mistakes cost us, but I will remember offensive futility and defensive ferocity just as much.

get this bad mojo the F outta HERE!!!

DITTO
Originally posted by almondJoy:
DITTO

Really?

Get real dude.

I been a long time 49er fan for decades now. I remember the highs and lows. I just asked a question just to see other 49er fans POVs of how they felt about big games of years past. As u can see some good subjects and memories came outta this thread.

I swear the sensitivity some of you folks makes yall look like juvenile crybabies.
Originally posted by ninersoul:
Really?

Get real dude.

I been a long time 49er fan for decades now. I remember the highs and lows. I just asked a question just to see other 49er fans POVs of how they felt about big games of years past. As u can see some good subjects and memories came outta this thread.

I swear the sensitivity some of you folks makes yall look like juvenile crybabies.

Wanting to reminisce about painful NFCC losses on the eve of a NFCC seems strange to me. The question wasn't about big games of the past it was about painful NFCC losses specifically.
Sorry but I think it is a s**tty thread considering the timing.

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
and u forgot 1983 @ the skins...robbed of a chance to curbstomp the raiders down in tampa due to 2 bogus PI's on Lott & Wright

THIS

Also how did we only beat Detroit 24-23 when there QB threw 5 INTs????
Share 49ersWebzone