LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

What Was The Toughest NFC Title Game Loss For U To Swallow?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What Was The Toughest NFC Title Game Loss For U To Swallow?

All of them... Although the Redskins game where Ronnie Lott got flagged for PI on a pass that it ended up in the stands (okay not the stands but you get my point), setting up the Redskins to win it. That game was so badly officiated, that some feel it's the reason we have instant replay. (some people being mostly me and my friends) Raider went on to beat the Skins, we would have crushed the Raiders in the true battle of the bay, that never was!
Was 4 years old when the 90 NFC Championship was played and did not know anything about football. Did not start watching it till four years later. I still think emotionally and more devastating is the 90 Championship game by far. It disgust me we were that close. I think it was Mark Ingram that made a clutch play to get a first down to seal our fate and allowed Matt Bahr to kick the game winner.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
1983-84 NFC Title Game Loss to the Redskins 24-21. Phantom PI calls against Ronnie Lott and Eric Wright were the difference. That sucked.

That was stolen from us but Redskin kicker Mark Moseley missed 4 chippies so we were lucky to be in position at the end. I always thought the refs were told what to do in that game.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
The fumble.
After watching them them barely lose the super bowl last year, no other sport sadness will ever compare.

Know it's not an NFC championship game, but i feel i can stomach any loss now.
[ Edited by SolRebe1 on May 22, 2013 at 9:13 AM ]
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
I guess I am old, but the Roger Craig fumble hurts. That whole game hurts, man. Friggin' Leonard (My Bad) Marshall broke Montana's wrist (Joe claims). Young comes in, we're drivin' and lookin' good, and then that f**king fumble.
[ Edited by fropwns on May 22, 2013 at 10:04 AM ]
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninersoul:
I'll say the '97 NFC title game vs. the Pack. I truly believed the 49ers were good enough to defeat them that day and to finally end their losing streak against those boys. It was painful watching the 49ers lost to them on their home turf!

That was my pick, I was so disgusted with the Packers owning us.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
and u forgot 1983 @ the skins...robbed of a chance to curbstomp the raiders down in tampa due to 2 bogus PI's on Lott & Wright

+1. I still can't believe those PI calls. To this day, I still don't like the Redskins. Who hated that song, "Hail to the Redskins..."?
Originally posted by fropwns:
I guess I am old, but the Roger Craig fumble hurts. That whole game hurts, man. Friggin' Wilber Marshall broke Montana's wrist (Joe claims). Young comes in, we're drivin' and lookin' good, and then that f**king fumble.

You're not old - I remember that game well while in college and I'm not old (no denial here...you're only as old as you feel :-). We HAD that game...we win that game and we have a great chance to 3-peat! And after the fumble, I still can't believe Hostetler got them in FG position to win the game.
I guess I am old, but the Roger Craig fumble hurts. That whole game hurts, man. Friggin' Wilber Marshall broke Montana's wrist (Joe claims). Young comes in, we're drivin' and lookin' good, and then that f**king fumble.

This and b/c it was en route to a 3-peat. A 3-PEAT!

In 1990 and 2011 I though the better team lost which makes it impossible to swallow. The other years not so much.

Leonard Marshall (Wilber was a Bear) . . . but yeah, it sucked. But if the Giants could beat the Bills with Hostettler we would have beaten them with Steve Young.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

Leonard Marshall (Wilber was a Bear) . . . but yeah, it sucked. But if the Giants could beat the Bills with Hostettler we would have beaten them with Steve Young.
Thanks for the correction. My anger blinded me to his real name. How could I forget, "Leonard f**king Marshall". There was an SI article, years ago, where Montana talks about the whole incident when Marshall offered to help him up and snapped his wrist.
[ Edited by fropwns on May 22, 2013 at 10:05 AM ]
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
All of them... Although the Redskins game where Ronnie Lott got flagged for PI on a pass that it ended up in the stands (okay not the stands but you get my point), setting up the Redskins to win it. That game was so badly officiated, that some feel it's the reason we have instant replay. (some people being mostly me and my friends) Raider went on to beat the Skins, we would have crushed the Raiders in the true battle of the bay, that never was!

We got screwed over that game ...refs were letting them play , but calling some b******t on us
You forgot to mention the 1970 NFC Championship Game (last game played at Kesar Stadium) against Dallas. The first one is always the most painful. It sure would have been nice to see Brodie / G Washington / Jimmy Johnson / D Wilcox / C Hardman in the Super Bowl...

Second most painful was the 1990 game against NY...the one where Montana got knocked out of the game on a dirty shot by Marshall in the 4th quarter and the defense allowed the Giants to get into FG range after Roger's fumble. I felt sick watching that fat-ass Parcells celebrating afterwards. That team was not better than the Niners!
[ Edited by nw9erfan on May 23, 2013 at 12:30 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone