LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 278 users in the forums

We need to extend Crabtree

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I like Crabs but not at the expense of keeping OL players or Aldon Smith. If he wants too much I say let him walk. WRs are a dime a dozen and if you look at the winning teams they don't over pay wide receivers because they have top QBs that make average receivers look good. We now have that in Colin Kaepernick! This is his team and he will get the ball in the hands of whoever we bring in.
Originally posted by Ninerfan81:
I like Crabs but not at the expense of keeping OL players or Aldon Smith. If he wants too much I say let him walk. WRs are a dime a dozen and if you look at the winning teams they don't over pay wide receivers because they have top QBs that make average receivers look good. We now have that in Colin Kaepernick! This is his team and he will get the ball in the hands of whoever we bring in.

I disagree, if you have a top quality WR, which Crabtree is, and one that is functional in all aspects of the game, you find a way to keep him. You can always surround him with lower-cost WR's but you need to find a way to keep your top guy. As far as future free agents go, in my mind the priorities are Kaepernick, Aldon, Crabtree and Iupati.
Don't forget Anthony Davis!! One or two of those five isn't going to get paid!
Don't forget Anthony Davis!! One or two of those five isn't going to get paid!

I'd argue that right tackle is easier to replace than a top-shelf LG or a true #1 WR.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I'd argue that right tackle is easier to replace than a top-shelf LG or a true #1 WR.

I think Anthony might be the better player. Iupati might have been better his rookie year than last year. Will gladly take either one though.

Like you guys said I think the plan is to have Goodwin, Haralson, Whitner, Rogers and possibly Frank/Justin off the books. Work on re-signing our guys this season, next offseason and through the 2014 season.

If we sign these 1-2 year players we are going to draft some rookies to let them develop and then they will be ready to go in 2014 or 2015 when the vets are gone.

Edit And out of Kap, Davis, Iupati, Aldon and Crabtree I'd say we lose 1 for sure... the other would be tagged and probably let go the next offseason if we can't afford him. Kendall Hunter and Bruce Miller could be other guys to worry about but not on the same scale obviously. I'd like to get T Brown after this year. Manningham, Whitner and Justin are the other big ones. Whitner is probably gone and Manningham I like but would rather save the money. We will see.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 13, 2013 at 8:51 AM ]
Has Crabtree given any indication that he wants to stay here long term? Has he moved permanently into the Bay Area? Is he practicing in the off-season with 9er teamates?

I think he is happier now with Kaep as QB than he was before, but I'm still not sensing he plans to play here beyond his first contract.
I say pay tha man only if he shows another 1000+ yards N 10+ TD this coming up yr...

I agree Kaepernick can be good enough to get the ball to any decent receiver, but saying receivers are "a dime a dozen?" Really? Then tell me, before Crabtree emerged, why couldn't we find one since 2003?
I dread to make negotiations with the man the held out before he took his first snap. Imagine now that he is putting up good numbers
Originally posted by SolRebe1:
I dread to make negotiations with the man the held out before he took his first snap. Imagine now that he is putting up good numbers

Different scenario. Crabtree knew he was the best WR in the draft and wanted to be paid as such. The raiders taking DHB and giving him way too much money is what sparked that.

• buck
  • Veteran
Colin Kaepernick
Mike Iupati
Anthony Davis
Kendall Hunter
Michael Crabtree
Aldon Smith
Chris Culliver

Each one of those guys will be a free agent in 2015. The front office has some hellacious work to do.
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Pay him in white girls!!!

Lol that is awesome!
with his history of holding out w/ this clown agent, watch this guy want top $$$

like, Megatron/M Williams money
Originally posted by buck:
Colin Kaepernick
Mike Iupati
Anthony Davis
Kendall Hunter
Michael Crabtree
Aldon Smith
Chris Culliver

Each one of those guys will be a free agent in 2015. The front office has some hellacious work to do.

More like hellacious decisions to make. They can work as hard as they want, it doesn't mean players will play for less money.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by buck:
Colin Kaepernick
Mike Iupati
Anthony Davis
Kendall Hunter
Michael Crabtree
Aldon Smith
Chris Culliver

More like hellacious decisions to make. They can work as hard as they want, it doesn't mean players will play for less money.

good lord. The only one expendable out of those is Hunter because of LMJ and his injury.
Share 49ersWebzone