There are 77 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

We need to extend Crabtree

  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 9,651
In the next two years (2014 and 2015), we have many free agents.

The priorities, at least in my limited mind, are:

1AAAA. Colin Kaepernick 2015

1AAA Aldon Smith 2015

1AA. Mike Iupati 2015

2. Anthony Davis 2015

3. Michael Crabtree 2015

4. Donte Whitner 2014

5. Chris Culliver 2015

6. Kendall Hunter 2015

7. Bruce Miller 2015

And that does not include either Justin Smith or Brian Jennings who will free agents in 2014 and 2015 respectively.

edit: forgot Aldon Smith--corrected that
[ Edited by buck on Jan 17, 2013 at 11:04 AM ]
Wasnt it just a few years ago on here that everyone was considering A Davis a bust? Now he's on the short list of people to resign? Same goes for Crabtree. One good year and he gets his own thread about locking him up forever? CK has one postseason win and is insanely cheap, yet we need to pay him like Brees?

Our FO has done a pretty good job thus far, I expect them to continue to do the same. Not overpay players, keep the FA signings simple and cheap, work on drafting talent in the areas of need.

As far as the cap, players and how they fit, I wait to hear from AB on that, no one knows more than he does in that regard.

For Crabs. Always liked the guy, hate his agent, assuming its the same one he signed with when he was drafted. Would like to see him and Kaep working together for the next 10 years, but its a business, no player is worth selling out the rest of the team, see Manning, Peyton and his insane salary. Didnt get Denver to the promised land.
Originally posted by KaepernickFan:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by susweel:
he gonna sign with Dallas

Oh yeah, dominant team, franchise qb. Had a great year this year iirc.

No.

LOL I agree. Whether it's this offseason or next yr, we"ll take care of Crabs. Expect him to be a 9er for a very long time.

How short people's memories are. Crabtree held out until Week 7 against the Houston Texans. He didn't sign until Deion Sanders and MC Hammer got involved. He has "Mr. Holdout" Eugene Parker for his agent. You think that extending Crabtree is going to be easy like Vernon Davis or Bowman? I predict that Crabtree plays out the rest of his contract, we franchise him in 2015, and then he walks in 2016. By then, we should have some more options at WR. Crabtree is not exactly a re-incarnation of Jerry Rice. He's starting to look good like he did in college, but unless he signs for a reasonable amount, we should let him walk.
  • IEAD
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 759
pics?
Originally posted by Psinex:
Originally posted by KaepernickFan:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by susweel:
he gonna sign with Dallas

Oh yeah, dominant team, franchise qb. Had a great year this year iirc.

No.

LOL I agree. Whether it's this offseason or next yr, we"ll take care of Crabs. Expect him to be a 9er for a very long time.

How short people's memories are. Crabtree held out until Week 7 against the Houston Texans. He didn't sign until Deion Sanders and MC Hammer got involved. He has "Mr. Holdout" Eugene Parker for his agent. You think that extending Crabtree is going to be easy like Vernon Davis or Bowman? I predict that Crabtree plays out the rest of his contract, we franchise him in 2015, and then he walks in 2016. By then, we should have some more options at WR. Crabtree is not exactly a re-incarnation of Jerry Rice. He's starting to look good like he did in college, but unless he signs for a reasonable amount, we should let him walk.

That was 4 YEARS AGO, and I'm sure MC has matured since then, and in the end it's a business but something has to be said for loyalty and wanting to win, Crabtree won't want to mess up a good thing, like he says he just wants to make plays, I'm sure we'll extend him maybe not now but when the time is right
[ Edited by 228niner on Jan 17, 2013 at 12:18 PM ]
Priorities.

Not by order, but by position

QB Kaepernick (Between end of 2013 and 2014)
RB Hunter (After 2014)
WR Crabtree (Soon)
LG Iupati (ASAP)
RT Davis (Soon)
DE J.Smith (2013 offseason)
OLB Aldon Smith (between end of 2013 and 2014)
CB Culliver (between end of 2013 and 2014)
FS Goldson (2013 offseason)
SS Whitner (2013 offseason)
Originally posted by ace49ers:
He wont want to go else where. He knows hes got something special going on with Kapp.

This!
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Priorities.

Not by order, but by position

QB Kaepernick (Between end of 2013 and 2014)
RB Hunter (After 2014)
WR Crabtree (Soon)
LG Iupati (ASAP)
RT Davis (Soon)
DE J.Smith (2013 offseason)
OLB Aldon Smith (between end of 2013 and 2014)
CB Culliver (between end of 2013 and 2014)
FS Goldson (2013 offseason)
SS Whitner (2013 offseason)

Agree with this. Someone else had stated previously that we have a strong front office. I couldn't agree with that more. I really feel like the organization is strong again, similar to the Walsh days. I don't worry over it, solid decisions will be made.
We won't be able to keep all... That is what is so sad.
Crabs is becoming the baller he was drafted to be. Pay the man.
I remember many people on this board wanted to trade him for a third round pick before the season started. What a joke.
  • IT21
  • Member
  • Posts: 12,081
Originally posted by socalfan21:
We won't be able to keep all... That is what is so sad.

Its ok, AJ Jenkins will fill in nicely for Crabtree
Originally posted by ace49ers:
He wont want to go else where. He knows hes got something special going on with Kapp.

Agree
Originally posted by socalfan21:
We won't be able to keep all... That is what is so sad.

It is possible we can retain most of them, maybe all of them. The cap isn't raising like everyone wants it to, but with Alex Smith likely gone that creates 9M in 2014 cap space, plus Rogers could be gone, which creates more cap room in 2014 and 2015.
For those who want to know, the following about our cap.

2014- We have projected $27.8M in cap room with a $122M cap, but can create $8.75M by cutting or trading Alex this offseason, plus Rogers is due over $8M, and most would be saved with a cut or restructure if he goes downhill. Plus we can save $2.5M if Brooks doesn't meet the 12 sacks and the voids in his contract for de-escalators.

2015- We have projected $61.149M in cap room with a $125M cap, again with Brooks a $2.5M decrease for sacks.

2016- We have projected $92M in cap room with $130M cap, and again Brooks' decrease.

2015 and 2016 would be ideal for loading up on 3 contracts for the players I mentioned, most likely J.Smith, Iupati, and Goldson, then 2017 and beyond would be for guys like Kaep, Hunter, Cully, and Miller.

We wouldn't need to front load Whitner too much, and Aldon is one that I dont know when we would extend him, either after 2013 or after 2014.

Our cap situation is FINE, a lot can be saved in 2013, and we could even front load Goldson and another like Crabtree in 2013 like we did with Staley in 2009 with that massive 11M roster bonus paid at that time and counted against the cap in 09.