There are 60 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

We need to extend Crabtree

Salary cap!!!!!!
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Crabtree is not a priority and neither is Kaep. Neither is going anywhere for at least a couple years. Kaep isn't even an option for contract renegotiating.

I agree with you about Kaep. But Crabtree is a different deal.

Smart GMs don't wait until the last minute to extend key players. They do it as soon as they have seen enough of that player's performance to be convinced that they are a long term solution. For GMs and coaches that see a player perform every week up close usually can make that call WAAAY before the rest of the NFL, the media, and fans realize that players value. This means that you can resign your own guys much cheaper than what they could make on the open market... if you sign at the right time.

Look at Joe Staley's contract. He makes less than half of what you would expect a two time pro-bowl OLT in his prime to make. There are OLTs in the league that make 3 time what Staley makes. Why??? BECAUSE WE LOCKED HIM UP AT THE RIGHT TIME
Trading Alex Smith frees up 8 million. Releasing Akers, Haralson and Goodwin saves us around 10 million as well. Let Sopoaga walk and resign RJF for a cheaper price and draft a DL with the 1st or 2nd draft pick.

Kilgore/Looney/Rookie compete for the starting Center job next season.

Unsure what we will do with Goldson, but I'd like to keep him if possible. Carlos Rogers probably plays 1 more year at most with us before we release him for cap reasons.
Originally posted by Gelder:
Trading Alex Smith frees up 8 million. Releasing Akers, Haralson and Goodwin saves us around 10 million as well. Let Sopoaga walk and resign RJF for a cheaper price and draft a DL with the 1st or 2nd draft pick.

Kilgore/Looney/Rookie compete for the starting Center job next season.

Unsure what we will do with Goldson, but I'd like to keep him if possible. Carlos Rogers probably plays 1 more year at most with us before we release him for cap reasons.

Yeah, we should actually be in really good shape salary cap wise with all of the turnover coming up. Alex, Akers, Haralson, Goodwin, and Sopoaga are among our highest paid players and all are likely gone next year. Not to mention Gore and J. Smith are nearing the end of their careers. I think both will be key guys through the 2013 season. But after that, they should be expendable too. That's 7 of our top 17 paid players.
Crabs might ask to be the highest paid WR in the NFL if he continues at the same pace next year. I would love to lock him up before that.
at all costs we need to avoid another prolonged impasse and having to deal with crabs' agent, Deion, hammer and whoever else he has in his posse
Prior to the end of this season I was thinking he would want to go to Dallas when his contract was up. But I can't believe that with the way Kaep has performed that he would be that stupid to leave. Depends on his ego and desire for $.
Originally posted by SantaFe49er:
Signed a six-year, $32 million contract. The deal contains $17 million guaranteed. Another $8 million is available through incentives. The contract can void to five years based on "unlikely to be earned" Pro Bowl and playing-time triggers. Per one clause in the deal, $15 million of Crabtree's available escalators is contingent on him participating in at least 90% of annual offseason workouts. 2012: $3.5 million (+ $500,000 roster bonus), 2013: $4.5 million (+ $500,000 roster bonus), 2014: $3.5 million (Voidable Year), 2015: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5135/michael-crabtree

he'll be here at a minimum 2 more years with possibly the 3rd year franchised.

I would think he hit the incentives to make 2014 a voidable year. I agree with the OP, if 2013 is his last year, I would prefer to get a contract done now, to avoid the franchise tag, bad feeling etc.
Crabs more than most will also take into account how important the "right" QB is for his continued success.

I'm glad we have a VERY competent FO to handle this.
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Crabtree is not a priority and neither is Kaep. Neither is going anywhere for at least a couple years. Kaep isn't even an option for contract renegotiating.

This.
he gonna sign with Dallas
Originally posted by susweel:

Oh yeah, dominant team, franchise qb. Had a great year this year iirc.

No.
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Extend him during the year, next year so he doesn't reach his contract year. If he plays out this contract he won't be worth the money he receives in a bidding war.
I think Goldson, Boone and Goodwin may be the odd-men out when all is said and done. Given that Crabtree and Kaep seem to have such a rapport with one another, it makes sense to view them as part of any future planning. Davis is good and Iupati is a definitely a keepers.

With the way Kaep feeds Crabtree the ball, I think he'll be highly likely to re-up when the time comes with San Francisco.

Keepers:
Kaep -- locked up
Crabtree -- locked up
Iupati -- extension looming

Depending on the money:
Goldson
Davis -- extension looming
Goodwin
Boone
D. Walker

Nearing retirement:
Gore?
Smith?
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Jan 17, 2013 at 10:42 AM ]
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by susweel:

Oh yeah, dominant team, franchise qb. Had a great year this year iirc.

No.

LOL I agree. Whether it's this offseason or next yr, we"ll take care of Crabs. Expect him to be a 9er for a very long time.