There are 170 users in the forums

Packers Rivalry 1995 - Present

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Oh wait, there is none. They have completely owned us.

Packers vs 49ers in NFC Playoffs for sixth time since 1995 (1-5)
1995: GB (+9.5) @ SF, Lost 17-27
1996: SF (?) @ GB, Lost 14-35
1997: GB (-1.5) @ SF, Lost 10-23
1998: GB (+3.5) @ SF, Won 30-27
2001: SF (+3.5) @ GB, Lost 15-25

Packers covered every single game. Yikes
http://www.beloitdailynews.com/sports/packers-ers-have-rich-playoff-history/article_0a9ed484-5b46-11e2-b2f2-001a4bcf887a.html

Steve Young is a borderline (depending who you ask) TOP10 QB in NFL History. But he struggled more often than not against the usually superior Packers defense in our head to head match ups regular season and playoffs.. And bottomline Favre is TOP5 in History for a reason. This Saturday, the Packers once again have the superior Quarterback.
[ Edited by KEGster on Jan 11, 2013 at 2:56 AM ]
Lots of key injuries in those games, but it is what it is I guess.
Originally posted by KEGster:

1997: GB (-1.5) @ GB, Lost 10-23

http://www.beloitdailynews.com/sports/packers-ers-have-rich-playoff-history/article_0a9ed484-5b46-11e2-b2f2-001a4bcf887a.html

Steve Young is a borderline (depending who you ask) TOP10 QB in NFL History. But he struggled more often than not against the usually superior Packers defense in our head to head match ups regular season and playoffs.. And bottomline Favre is TOP5 in History for a reason. This Saturday, the Packers once again have the superior Quarterback.

1997 was a home loss not in GB
To summarize they have owned our ass in big games for the last 15 years. Time to break that streak.
Yeah, it's time to break that streak.

As an aside, I find it interesting how the Packers are a bit of a generational demarcation for Niners fans. Niners fans that are learning about the care and upkeep of babies seem to get pretty riled up about the Packers. Fans, like me, that saw The Catch are now sending their youngest kids off to college.

It would be nice if tomorrow marks another generational demarcation line.
3 years in a row.... THREE YEARS IN A ROW!

its all coming back again...oh the horrible memories.
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Yeah, it's time to break that streak.

As an aside, I find it interesting how the Packers are a bit of a generational demarcation for Niners fans. Niners fans that are learning about the care and upkeep of babies seem to get pretty riled up about the Packers. Fans, like me, that saw The Catch are now sending their youngest kids off to college.

It would be nice if tomorrow marks another generational demarcation line.
Great point and I agree. If we are to be consistent contenders in our Conference, then might as well now become good acquaintances with local boy Rodgers because he will be a TOP5 player for atleast the next 3 seasons. We should continue to have a slight division edge Bears/Lions vs Cards/Rams and that is worth a game or two for playoff seeding.

I see the Packers roster improving in the next few seasons around Aaron. This current team doesn't even pretend to run, it reminds me of our team in between Ricky & Garrison. Looking back, maybe our offense was ahead of it's time. With current rules, one could argue Steve Young accuracy is more treasured than Favre's arm strength. We'll give Brett the respect in terms of scrambling, he is known for his fakes (Especially vs Strahan )

I'll be watching the game this Saturday with the same friend (nuetral fan) I saw the '98 Classic with. He makes a joke about the current Miller Lite commercial running: 49er fan takes up couch of strangers because it's his old apartment from the '94 Title Run. I watched the '94 Super Bowl and '98 WC at his parents TV room. Funny stuff
Originally posted by Afrikan:
3 years in a row.... THREE YEARS IN A ROW!

its all coming back again...oh the horrible memories.

1995, was the most shocking 49er lose I ever saw. Or maybe more precisely the opening fumble by Walker and scoop TD by Craig Newsome might be the most shocking play. We were exposed. Remember we got the #2 seed with a 11-5 record. The Packers had finished the season winning 6 of 7 (OT lose in Tampa) and I remember reading they were very bitter over finishing with the #3 seed. Watching Dallas celebrate the following week in the NFC title game made me feel worse.

1996, GB had one of the finest teams of the 90's

1997, GB was favored for a reason. Without Jerry, we just didn't have the horses and considering how the Super Bowl went down to the wire. We just weren't good enough. The year of Greene & Woodson.

1998, greatest WC game ever considering the stakes (Packers 2-Time NFC Champs). We should have defeated the Falcons the following week and I believe we would (Hearst injury) but I just don't know if we defeat that Vikings team. They don't sleep walk on us like they did Atlanta. Regardless it would have setup one of the most anticipated NFC title and Super Bowls ever. Instead the Falcons ruined everything. I'll never forgive that franchise for 1998.

2001, Favre: completed 16 of 21 passes for 226 yards in the second half after the Packers trailed 7-6 at halftime.

Sadly, other than the heartbreak of 1995 and bitterness of 1997. The better team won and as expected. They had the better quarterback but more importantly rushing attack, defense and coaching. We didn't have the rushing attack until 1997 and by 1999 the defense was torched. Packers were just too good in 1997 & 1998.
[ Edited by KEGster on Jan 11, 2013 at 3:38 AM ]
Originally posted by KEGster:

1997: GB (-1.5) @ SF, Lost 10-23

I f*****g hate that team!
  • Jiks
Many people hate the Cowboys but I was still pretty young at that age. When I first started watching it was Dallas,(Aikman, Emmit, Irving)but as I understood and started actually playing the game the Packers were the team to destroy us every year. I remember Reggie White saying how much they owned us and no way we were going to beat them before The Catch 2. Hated the Packers, still do. IMO we could have easily had 1 or 2 more if not for the Pack. Could have had a couple more if not for the Cowboys. And Giants... .. .

Still hate all those teams damnitt!

Ah, but there is always the present.

The present says

"The 49ers are a noble, strong foe. We will have to pull a masterstroke in finesse to topple this giant".

Sure, We have been more successful over the past two decades, but considering where your team was just a few years ago as opposed to where it is now, and where it is undoubtedly heading in the future, there is every reason for you guys to feel "This time we will prevail".

And, win or lose, just remember that two years isn't a long time for a turnaround (Harbaugh's a genius), and that whilst winning in the here and now is important, the biggest victory is always keeping ahead of the curve through smart personnel manouvering and having a coaching staff that are the best fit for the skillset of your roster. When that is taken care of, winning in the here and now become a by-product.

I am hoping that both of our teams sit atop the NFC for years to come.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by respectfulpacker:
Ah, but there is always the present.

The present says

"The 49ers are a noble, strong foe. We will have to pull a masterstroke in finesse to topple this giant".

Sure, We have been more successful over the past two decades, but considering where your team was just a few years ago as opposed to where it is now, and where it is undoubtedly heading in the future, there is every reason for you guys to feel "This time we will prevail".

And, win or lose, just remember that two years isn't a long time for a turnaround (Harbaugh's a genius), and that whilst winning in the here and now is important, the biggest victory is always keeping ahead of the curve through smart personnel manouvering and having a coaching staff that are the best fit for the skillset of your roster. When that is taken care of, winning in the here and now become a by-product.

I am hoping that both of our teams sit atop the NFC for years to come.

Completely different teams with the same feel IMO. Feels right to be playing the Packers again. Actually I guess I can say that about the whole organization. I think we really lost ourselves the past 10 years with different coaches, different owners, different GM's and what not. Feels good to be back in the playoffs, let alone playing the team that I despised as a young kid. My best buddy was a Packers fan and we would make like $2 dollar bets, or trading card bets on games and I'd always lose.

Hate the Packers, but I have a huge amount of respect for them and their fan base.
Since when is it just a given that Brett Favruh was abetter QB than Steve Young. I don't believe that at all. Yes, his career stats are more impressive, but he also played way longer. For all of his great moments and highlights, I can find the same amount of big games that Favre lost all by himself at the end. I am not trying to say it is Young by a wide margin or anything, Favre is one of the best QB's ever, but so is Young in my opinion.
Never hated the Packers...It was always the Cowboys for me, and I think the difference was the attitude of the players and fan base. I never had a Pack fan around me who came anywhere close to the arrogance the Cowboys fans did back in the day. The Cowboys were to me then, what Seattle is becomming to me now. Their players were full of themselves, their fans were full of themselves and their owner was king of being full of himself. Replace owner with coach and it sounds an aweful lot like Seattle today.

The Pack on the other hand, their fans are usually knowledgable and fair, their players for the most part play with pride and respect, and their coach is generally regarded as a good guy. Sure they probably stopped us from being first to six in the late 90's...but I cant hate a team for not laying down when we want them too.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Completely different teams with the same feel IMO. Feels right to be playing the Packers again. Actually I guess I can say that about the whole organization. I think we really lost ourselves the past 10 years with different coaches, different owners, different GM's and what not. Feels good to be back in the playoffs, let alone playing the team that I despised as a young kid. My best buddy was a Packers fan and we would make like $2 dollar bets, or trading card bets on games and I'd always lose.

Hate the Packers, but I have a huge amount of respect for them and their fan base.

Exactly right. When we drop 48 on the Falcons it's like "Meh team, meh fanbase" - I mean, it pissed me off watching them all clear out in the 3rd quarter. Fake ass fans who only care when the chips are good. If the tables were turned not one of us would have left the dome until 0:00 4th quarter, traffic be damned.

With the 49ers, you are playing a 5 time world champion with a glut of Hall of Famers and a few on the roster who are 1st ballot right now. You know the game is special. This is the team we looked at with envious eyes when they lit up the 80's, the team we enjoyed getting the better of in the 90's and in the 00's, we wished would gain stability so they can once again reach the upper echelon of the NFC.

Well, we are here now.

This game has a heavyweight bout feel to it. On one hand, you have the flash, arty Packer and on the other you have the solid, well rounded 49er. I can't wait until the bell rings.
Share 49ersWebzone