There are 244 users in the forums

Packers Rivalry 1995 - Present

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by bigmur49:
Since when is it just a given that Brett Favruh was abetter QB than Steve Young. I don't believe that at all. Yes, his career stats are more impressive, but he also played way longer. For all of his great moments and highlights, I can find the same amount of big games that Favre lost all by himself at the end. I am not trying to say it is Young by a wide margin or anything, Favre is one of the best QB's ever, but so is Young in my opinion.
Obviously such a discussion can go many ways
- Overall career (Longevity)
- Best 5+ year run
- Most clutch
- Most consistent
- ect

Although the Packers had the coaching edge and early on the defense, I think the teams were mostly equal. So how do you explain the enormous edge in W-L record? Unless you are just gonna say Favre over performed in 95, 96 and 97. Yes I'm aware we were out played on special teams and in the turnover department in a few of those games.

Unless you are going to take the Favre/Young debate towards how the pro game is currently being played, which favors accuracy/running ability. Then you will come off as a blind homer if you argue Young over Favre. Equal, you could pass on most knowledgeable fans from the 1990's. In overall history, the Football community won't let us have Montana AND Young in the TOP5. Most lists I have seen from the ''Modern Game'' Young is usually at 10 and I'm satisfied with that.
Brett "interception" Favre is a better QB than Steve Young? LOL!!!
Did "Magic" Don Majkowski beat us
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Somewhere Packer fan is arguing Steve ''made of glass'' Young is better NFL player than Favre?
I'll be honest. This is the rivalry I love to hate. I grew up in Wisconsin and lived no where but there for 33 of my 36 years on this planet. But, in 1981 I watched a playoff game on tv with my dad and some guy in a pretty red and gold uniform threw a touchdown pass to a guy and the stadium went nuts, I went nuts and it was love at first sight. I was 4 at the time so for the next 32 years I have had to explain why a guy who was born and raised in America's Dairyland, is a Badger fan and a Brewers fan but ISNT a Packer fan. I simply state that for most of my childhood the Packers were downright rotten. They didn't come close to success until '89. But then Holmgren arrived from my Niners and boy o boy did the worm turn and I went from not liking the Pack to REALLY not liking the Pack. If the Niners lost to the Pack everyone and their brother would call or does call and gives me all kinds guff. But when TO made that catch. Crickets! When we beat them in week 1. More Crickets! So what does tomorrow mean to me? If we lose, we might as well have gone 1-16 because the whole darn season will be for not. I have coached in some huge high school games and I am 1000 times more nervous for tomorrows game. So, I'm hoping our kid from Wisconsin can lead us past a kid from California. All will be right in my world and the CRICKETS WILL ROAR!
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
I'll be honest. This is the rivalry I love to hate. I grew up in Wisconsin and lived no where but there for 33 of my 36 years on this planet. But, in 1981 I watched a playoff game on tv with my dad and some guy in a pretty red and gold uniform threw a touchdown pass to a guy and the stadium went nuts, I went nuts and it was love at first sight. I was 4 at the time so for the next 32 years I have had to explain why a guy who was born and raised in America's Dairyland, is a Badger fan and a Brewers fan but ISNT a Packer fan. I simply state that for most of my childhood the Packers were downright rotten. They didn't come close to success until '89. But then Holmgren arrived from my Niners and boy o boy did the worm turn and I went from not liking the Pack to REALLY not liking the Pack. If the Niners lost to the Pack everyone and their brother would call or does call and gives me all kinds guff. But when TO made that catch. Crickets! When we beat them in week 1. More Crickets! So what does tomorrow mean to me? If we lose, we might as well have gone 1-16 because the whole darn season will be for not. I have coached in some huge high school games and I am 1000 times more nervous for tomorrows game. So, I'm hoping our kid from Wisconsin can lead us past a kid from California. All will be right in my world and the CRICKETS WILL ROAR!

This is AWESOME!!!
And......everyone who was planning to call me can hear me say......WHO'S GOT IT BETTER THAN US?
The Packers in the playoffs always scares me.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Unfortunately Favre didn't throw many against us when it mattered, he threw into triple coverage with his eyes closed and completed passes. It is a mystery to me that he was 12-2 against us even though the overall records of the teams were similar. I doubt there was any one team he dominated more than us, including the Lions who were usually bad during Favre's career.
Originally posted by BobS:
Unfortunately Favre didn't throw many against us when it mattered, he threw into triple coverage with his eyes closed and completed passes. It is a mystery to me that he was 12-2 against us even though the overall records of the teams were similar. I doubt there was any one team he dominated more than us, including the Lions who were usually bad during Favre's career.

I hated Favre's shovel passes with a passion. It felt like the bane of our pass coverage back then.

Although if there's one thing history has taught us, it's that you never EVER let your guard down against the Packers for a second. Keep fighting until the very last whistle is blown, play efficient ball, and minimize mistakes on offense and maximize defensive turnovers. Treat the Rodgers-led Packers like we did the Brees-led Saints and the Brady-led Patriots.
[ Edited by Protoman on Jan 11, 2013 at 4:50 PM ]

Legendary battles

Need more motivation?

Leroy Butler, Garrison Heart, Antonio Freeman & Terry Kirby
[ Edited by KEGster on Jan 11, 2013 at 5:48 PM ]

I agree with you on that. Favre was a 49er killer. Always brought it against us. Even as a damn Viking he did it to us. But as a player his legacy is over rated. So many horrible clutch decisions, awful turnovers, and his one SB occured because of Desmond Howard. At least when SY won his one Super Bowl he played lights out and put the game out of reach ASAP with his play.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Jan 11, 2013 at 5:58 PM ]
Originally posted by Protoman:

I hated Favre's shovel passes with a passion. It felt like the bane of our pass coverage back then.

Although if there's one thing history has taught us, it's that you never EVER let your guard down against the Packers for a second. Keep fighting until the very last whistle is blown, play efficient ball, and minimize mistakes on offense and maximize defensive turnovers. Treat the Rodgers-led Packers like we did the Brees-led Saints and the Brady-led Patriots.

not the best example....................
Share 49ersWebzone