LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

Packers Rivalry 1995 - Present

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Brett "interception" Favre is a better QB than Steve Young? LOL!!!
Unfortunately Favre didn't throw many against us when it mattered, he threw into triple coverage with his eyes closed and completed passes. It is a mystery to me that he was 12-2 against us even though the overall records of the teams were similar. I doubt there was any one team he dominated more than us, including the Lions who were usually bad during Favre's career.

yup. every outside of niner country (blindly) like to say Montana/Young were only good because of their receivers, but Favre relied on his receivers more than anybody.
Anyone remember the fumble that the 49ers returned for a touchdown that WAS a fumble but the refs blew dead? I think Plummer returned it. I think that would have changed the outcome of that game. It was a late 90's game against Favre and Co.
Originally posted by Protoman:
The Packers in the playoffs always scares me.

Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
I'll be honest. This is the rivalry I love to hate. I grew up in Wisconsin and lived no where but there for 33 of my 36 years on this planet. But, in 1981 I watched a playoff game on tv with my dad and some guy in a pretty red and gold uniform threw a touchdown pass to a guy and the stadium went nuts, I went nuts and it was love at first sight. I was 4 at the time so for the next 32 years I have had to explain why a guy who was born and raised in America's Dairyland, is a Badger fan and a Brewers fan but ISNT a Packer fan. I simply state that for most of my childhood the Packers were downright rotten. They didn't come close to success until '89. But then Holmgren arrived from my Niners and boy o boy did the worm turn and I went from not liking the Pack to REALLY not liking the Pack. If the Niners lost to the Pack everyone and their brother would call or does call and gives me all kinds guff. But when TO made that catch. Crickets! When we beat them in week 1. More Crickets! So what does tomorrow mean to me? If we lose, we might as well have gone 1-16 because the whole darn season will be for not. I have coached in some huge high school games and I am 1000 times more nervous for tomorrows game. So, I'm hoping our kid from Wisconsin can lead us past a kid from California. All will be right in my world and the CRICKETS WILL ROAR!

Right on, that is an awesome story. I agree that if this ends for us tomorrow that the season is a failure. God I hope that doesn't happen. I'm not ready for the season to be over and I definitely don't want to hear the media going bonkers over Rodgers if they win. I might have to throw up if that happens.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
not the best example....................

Oh no not like that, I meant to treat this game like the games that everyone and their grandma has picked to blow us out before the game was even played.
1995 was a weird year for the Niners. The Niners were defending Super Bowl Champs but let Ricky Watters go in the offseason. We were 5-4 and not looking too good then went into Dallas and got a quick 21-0 lead, just like the two games in 94, the Dallas crowd was stunned, the Cowboys were 8-1 at the time and looking like they were back on top of the NFL. Then the Niners played a Monday night game at Miami and smoked the Dolphins to go to 7-4. The Niners scored over 40 points a game for six straight games and had an 11-4 record, tied with Dallas for the # 1 seed in the NFC--Niners win the tiebreaker. Then the Niners lost to the Falcons in Atlanta ( blowing a nice lead) and became the # 2 seed. So instead of Dallas getting the up and coming Packers in the divisional round, the Niners got the Packers. Derek Loville fumbled right off the bat, I think the score was 14-0 before you even could get into the game. I don't think that Niner team was ready for what was going to hit them that playoff game. For the prior few years it was Niners-Dallas--the winner is going to be the champ. But in the NFL every year there is that team that " arrives". The Packers arrived in 1995 and the Niners were not ready for that arrival. Dallas did beat those Packers, they saw what happened to the Niners, they were ready and then thanks to the Steelers QB giving Dallas the game, the Cowboys were SB champs yet again.
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
1995 was a weird year for the Niners. The Niners were defending Super Bowl Champs but let Ricky Watters go in the offseason. We were 5-4 and not looking too good then went into Dallas and got a quick 21-0 lead, just like the two games in 94, the Dallas crowd was stunned, the Cowboys were 8-1 at the time and looking like they were back on top of the NFL. Then the Niners played a Monday night game at Miami and smoked the Dolphins to go to 7-4. The Niners scored over 40 points a game for six straight games and had an 11-4 record, tied with Dallas for the # 1 seed in the NFC--Niners win the tiebreaker. Then the Niners lost to the Falcons in Atlanta ( blowing a nice lead) and became the # 2 seed. So instead of Dallas getting the up and coming Packers in the divisional round, the Niners got the Packers. Derek Loville fumbled right off the bat, I think the score was 14-0 before you even could get into the game. I don't think that Niner team was ready for what was going to hit them that playoff game. For the prior few years it was Niners-Dallas--the winner is going to be the champ. But in the NFL every year there is that team that " arrives". The Packers arrived in 1995 and the Niners were not ready for that arrival. Dallas did beat those Packers, they saw what happened to the Niners, they were ready and then thanks to the Steelers QB giving Dallas the game, the Cowboys were SB champs yet again.

If the niners won that final game against Atlanta they wouldn't have had the 1 seed and wouldn't have had to play Green Bay in the divisional round. Dallas would have played them at home and Dallas always beat the packers at home. Dallas owned green bay the way green bay owned us. That also would have meant we would have hosted the cowboys in the NFC championship game and probably would have beat them. Would of, could of, should of......
Originally posted by dave1003:

If the niners won that final game against Atlanta they wouldn't have had the 1 seed and wouldn't have had to play Green Bay in the divisional round. Dallas would have played them at home and Dallas always beat the packers at home. Dallas owned green bay the way green bay owned us. That also would have meant we would have hosted the cowboys in the NFC championship game and probably would have beat them. Would of, could of, should of......
Dave,

I know,
would of, could of, should of--those games even after all these years bring back PAIN.
I still remember the 97 loss to the Packers, 23-10. We had an 11 game winning streak during the season and were primed for the Super Bowl with the NFC Championship game at home. The Pack was just faster, hit harder and Favre was throwing bullets to Freeman. I recall Steve walking off the field, muddy and exhausted. The reality was they were a better team. Time to balance the spread sheet this week.
the deciding game that triggered the drop to the #2 seed and the chain reaction to face the packers was NOT the falcons....

it was earlier in the year in one road game: steve gets hurt with a concussion in a dome, a kicker (doug brien) misses a field goal (at least the team had the balls to cut his ass immediately), and the Niners lose by ONE point to a certain team quarterbacked by........Jim Harbaugh.

The team lost 3 out of 4 over the following month.

http://youtu.be/m1yj5l3K09o?t=5m56s
Yeah the 5 playoff games hurt big time...never mind the fact since '96 regular season, we'd lost to them 9 more times ('96, '98, '99, '00, '02, '03, '06, '09,'10) in the regular season Until opening day this year 1-14 vs the Pack since 1996

I have a horrible memory from each game as well

'96...Don Beebe "catch"
'98...Steve Young sacked 8 times (maybe more)
'99...Steve Stenstrom at QB
'00...Put up a good fight, too many points allowed
'02...Garcia happy feet on the final drive
'03...couldn't stop Ahman Green
'06...overmatched on offense and defense
'09...fell behind way too early, late rally wasn't enough
'10...Troy Smith, ugly Pack uniforms,
[ Edited by zeppfan1 on Jan 11, 2013 at 8:30 PM ]

Originally posted by dave1003:
Definitely not penciling us in for a win over 1995 Cowboys in the NFC title game. Steve didn't even start the regular season matchup, for all we know the Dallas team was up from partying the night before.

1995 Niners just weren't that strong. Lost to an expansion team No running game and many of those ''new defensive acquisitions" from '94 were now older, slower or gone (Deion).

Niner Nation quick recap of 1995 vs Packers

"The Packers came into the game with a near desperate approach. Mike Holmgren had spent the week prior to the matchup rewriting his team's entire offensive vocabulary, afraid that the 49ers would recognize his familiar terminology on the field. On defense, the Packers brought a package that was born of equal fear and desperation - a highly uncommon 3-8 set. They could theoretically afford to stack the secondary to protect against Jerry Rice, Brent Jones, and John Taylor because of both the 49ers' second-rate running game and Reggie White's inherent ability to be disruptive at the line of scrimmage in any situation.

The moves worked like a charm.

For the 49ers to compete with the well-prepared Packers, they needed to take advantage of Green Bay's potentially weak three-man front on the ground to break up the Packers' entire defensive plan. As it would turn out, starting running back Derek Loville would manage a mere 5 yards on 8 carries for the day. The 49ers fell behind early, unable to answer for more than a quarter of Green Bay scoring drives. The game was out of hand well before halftime, and only a staunch defensive effort in the second half kept the score so much as respectable. With no other real choice, Steve Young attempted 65 passes on the day, trying to punch holes in a defense that had been outfitted to resist him. It was a hopeless effort. The 49ers were outcoached, outgunned, and outplayed. And by the end of the game, they were out of the playoffs altogether."

1995 Season Recap
http://www.ninersnation.com/2009/9/4/1015263/49ers-year-by-year-1995

[ Edited by KEGster on Jan 11, 2013 at 8:43 PM ]
Niner Nation write up for each season. I cut out the Packer game

1996 Divisional Round @ Packers
And as if by fate, they were headed back to Green Bay. Young was determined to play and managed to start despite his broken ribs thanks to a combination of courage and painkillers. Unfortunately for the 49ers, he would only last two series before the ribs forced him out of the game. To make matters worse,Bryant Young also had to leave the game early, with an injury to his neck and back. Again hobbled by injury, the 49ers struggled to keep pace with the Packers for most of the game before finally succumbing to Green Bay in the second half. After three consecutive losses to the Packers, it was becoming clear that the Packers were a healthier and stronger team - and that they might even be more talented and better coached.

The 49ers season, again, was ended without a return to the Super Bowl.

1997 NFC Title Game
The game was a defensive struggle, low-scoring, tense, and dramatic for three full quarters. But in a game featuring Steve Young and Brett Favre, the game would end up being decided on the ground. Up 13-3 in the fourth quarter, the Packers rode the legs of Dorsey Levens to the finish line, racking up over 100 yards on the day scoring a fourth quarter touchdown to ice the game. The 49ers, in contrast, ran for 33 yards total, and scored their only touchdown on a kickoff return. The loss stung, as the 49ers found themselves sitting once again behind an opponent who simply had their number.

Just as the question had once been "what do the 49ers have to do to beat the Dallas Cowboys? It was now, "what would the 49ers have to do to beat the Green Bay Packers?"

1998 CATCH II
But as that game rolled around, the 49ers were far from a popular pick. Having lost five times in a row to the Packers, including a convincing loss once already this season, missing Bryant Young on the defensive line, and taking shots for riding one of the league's easiest schedules into the playoffs, the 49ers were given little change to defeat their rivals.

But at home, the 49ers proved that they got to the playoffs for a reason. The first three and a half quarters were a grinding battle, as the two teams exchanged leads, matching each other blow for blow, neither team ever trailing by more than seven. Then the Packers tied the game in the fourth quarter on a Ryan Longwell field goal. The 49ers answered with a field goal of their own. With a 23-20 lead and the clock winding down, it looked as though the 49ers might have their first victory against the Packers in more than two years.

But it wouldn't be that easy. Brett Favre took the Packers all the way down the field and stole a four point lead with a 15 yard touchdown pass to Antonio Freeman. The blow should have been crushing. After what had seemed to be a likely victory, the 49ers were staring at what was almost assuredly a loss. With maybe enough time for one drive, San Francisco got the ball back.

Young answered Favre, marching the 49ers downfield efficiently. Controversy arose when Jerry Rice appeared to fumble the football, but the officials ruled that his knee was down before the ball came out and the play was dead. Replays would show this to be false, but without an instant replay system, the call was final.

Then, in the last minute the 49ers found themselves at the Packers' 25-yard line. Only a touchdown could win the game. As Young dropped back on the final play of the game, his back foot slipped out from underneath him. He stumbled, nearly lost his balance, regained his composure just long enough to look downfield, and fired the football into a sea of green and yellow.

The only red jersey anywhere near the play came down with the pass in the endzone. Terrell Owens' last second reception was quickly dubbed "The Catch II" (but hey, call it "The Throw"). The 49ers had beaten the Packers. Steve Mariucci found Owens and embraced his tearful receiver in celebration of the emotional moment.

2001 Wild Card @ Lambeau
In their first visit to the playoffs in more than two years, the 49ers marched into Green Bay, a familiar and unfriendly place over the last decade. With temperatures as low as 29 degrees, the Green Bay homefield advantage was in full swing on January 13. The game was close in the first half and most of the second, but as the game came closer to its finish it became clear that Brett Favre was playing at the top of his game - and that the top of his game was too much for the 49ers on that day. Despite hanging onto a tie as late as the 4thquarter, the Packers proved too much for the 49ers and ultimately came away with a 10-point victory.
[ Edited by KEGster on Jan 11, 2013 at 8:53 PM ]
Originally posted by KEGster:
Definitely not penciling us in for a win over 1995 Cowboys in the NFC title game. Steve didn't even start the regular season matchup, for all we know the Dallas team was up from partying the night before.

1995 Niners just weren't that strong. Lost to an expansion team No running game and many of those ''new defensive acquisitions" from '94 were now older, slower or gone (Deion).

Niner Nation quick recap of 1995 vs Packers

"The Packers came into the game with a near desperate approach. Mike Holmgren had spent the week prior to the matchup rewriting his team's entire offensive vocabulary, afraid that the 49ers would recognize his familiar terminology on the field. On defense, the Packers brought a package that was born of equal fear and desperation - a highly uncommon 3-8 set. They could theoretically afford to stack the secondary to protect against Jerry Rice, Brent Jones, and John Taylor because of both the 49ers' second-rate running game and Reggie White's inherent ability to be disruptive at the line of scrimmage in any situation.

The moves worked like a charm.

For the 49ers to compete with the well-prepared Packers, they needed to take advantage of Green Bay's potentially weak three-man front on the ground to break up the Packers' entire defensive plan. As it would turn out, starting running back Derek Loville would manage a mere 5 yards on 8 carries for the day. The 49ers fell behind early, unable to answer for more than a quarter of Green Bay scoring drives. The game was out of hand well before halftime, and only a staunch defensive effort in the second half kept the score so much as respectable. With no other real choice, Steve Young attempted 65 passes on the day, trying to punch holes in a defense that had been outfitted to resist him. It was a hopeless effort. The 49ers were outcoached, outgunned, and outplayed. And by the end of the game, they were out of the playoffs altogether."

1995 Season Recap
http://www.ninersnation.com/2009/9/4/1015263/49ers-year-by-year-1995

is this how we should play aaron rodgers and his receivers tomorrow?
is this how we should play aaron rodgers and his receivers tomorrow?

Hmm good question. Offensive rules have changed since then to favor passing but I think ultimately the Packers had crap Linebackers (until 2000+) and it was exposed by Emmitt Smith and Terrell Davis. Yes I know the original Walker fumble was caused by linebacker Wayne Simmons. But the strength was definitely in their Dline and those great safeties: Leroy Butler, Eugene Robinson and Darren Sharper. Considering that Bryant Young missed the 1996 (left early) and 1998 games. The Packers usually had the two best defenders on the field.

I think the 2012 49ers are stacked at each level of the Defense. 2 safeties 2 linebackers and (hopefully) 2 defensive line. I would personally save Justin for 2nd & 3rd downs and try to ride our Homefield. Can't panic, Kaep will/must keep us moving the football.
[ Edited by KEGster on Jan 11, 2013 at 9:10 PM ]
It was never a Packers-Niners rivalry. It was a Favre-Niners rivalry. The reality: Favre knew everything about us (play-wise) because he was taught by Mike Holmgren (our former OC and Bill Walsh alum) and then he added his own gun-slinger twist into the mix. The Niners have always been a methodical coordinated team. Montana/Young?Garcia never really thought outside the box....they were just great at executing the playbook. Holmgren knew this, and did a helluva job exploiting it against us both offensively and defensively.

If you watch ESPN'S NFL's GREATEST GAMES Packers vs Niners WC 1998, Dorsey Levens actually comments on the final drive TD from Favre to Freeman. He says that the Packers knew how the Niners would set their defense, and so Favre calls an audible to Freeman for a quick slant, but tells him in the huddle prior to the snap to just go for a quick post instead. EASY TD.

We were too damn predictable in the 90s, and thats why we lost all those games to the Cowboys and Packers.
Share 49ersWebzone