LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 204 users in the forums

David Akers injury revealed...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
RT @CBS49ers #49ers K David Akers had surgery for a double hernia (Feb), then a flare up caused him to receive injections after Saints game this year.
Originally posted by Squidp:
RT @CBS49ers #49ers K David Akers had surgery for a double hernia (Feb), then a flare up caused him to receive injections after Saints game this year.

probably didnt want to tell the team and riks losing his job
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Matt Maiocco
‏@MaioccoCSN 49ers kicker David Akers reveals he had surgery for double sports hernia in February.

Um...ouch.
Pictures or it didn't happen
They typically take 6-9 weeks to heal and rehab. This was done in feb so april he should be healed up. Given that he had till training camp and a lesser load with the extra kicker in camp i cant see this being why hes missing all these kicks. If it is his excuse or it was bothering him that badly he shouldnt have been in there. Not saying he isnt hurting but i think his missing is more mental.
That blows, Im sure it felt fine for awhile which is how he got the coaches confidence then aggravated it.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Maybe I don't understand sports hernias well enough, but how is February - July not enough time to recover? He's been missing kicks over 40 yards all year long too, not just since the Saints game.
[ Edited by Disp on Jan 3, 2013 at 4:54 PM ]
He is definitely still hurting from complications IMO.

Joe Nedney had this to say about Akers: "The telling sign to me is that he is missing them wide left, which means he is not getting his hips through the ball, he is not swinging confidently through the ball. Its kind of what we call poking-and-hoping."

Not getting his hips throught the ball, and the fact he had injections after the Saints game, I would say this is a physical issue that has also become mental now.
#49ers David Akers revealed he had double sports hernia surgery in Feb. Been dealing with complications in latter part of season.

— Eric Branch (@Eric_Branch) January 4, 2013
Originally posted by stonecold590:
They typically take 6-9 weeks to heal and rehab. This was done in feb so april he should be healed up. Given that he had till training camp and a lesser load with the extra kicker in camp i cant see this being why hes missing all these kicks. If it is his excuse or it was bothering him that badly he shouldnt have been in there. Not saying he isnt hurting but i think his missing is more mental.

Nice theory.

Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows
David Akers revealed he had double-hernia surgery in February. Aggravated it during season, went back to Philly for treatment after NO game.
#49ers kicker David Akers had off season surgery for double sports hernia: rehabbed & felt great until slip'd after Saints game...

— Mindi Bach (@MBachCSN) January 4, 2013

#49ers Akers flew back to Philly after Saints game to see same surgeon where he received a few injections

— Mindi Bach (@MBachCSN) January 4, 2013

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Why the eff did they not have a backup plan ready earlier then this???

The surgery must have seemed successful and a back-up plan did not seem necessary.

After all he kicked a record-tying 63 yard field goal in September--about eight months after the surgery.

At some point after that he may have re-injured the groin, or he might have a different unrelated injury.

We really do not know--and Harbaugh is not going to tell us.
edit: post #25 explains he had a flare up on the same injury after the NO game which was on November 25.

[ Edited by buck on Jan 3, 2013 at 5:14 PM ]
He may have tweaked it during the summer and not said anything. Either way I say shut him down until next summer
[ Edited by Squidp on Jan 3, 2013 at 4:59 PM ]
Originally posted by 9erReign:

Nice theory.

David Akers revealed he had double-hernia surgery in February. Aggravated it during season, went back to Philly for treatment after NO game.

Then he shouldnt have been in there till he was healthy. He was missing kicks prior to the NO game anyway
Originally posted by 9erReign:

Nice theory.

Then he shouldnt have been in there till he was healthy. He was missing kicks prior to the NO game anyway

He had 6 misses going into the N.O. game, in 10 games.

He has missed 7 since then, in 6 games.
Just sounds like it's more mental than physical though judging by the last Cards game. Yeah it could be physical but you would have to think after he got the injections he had to be weary of that in his head which could cause him to be missing.
Share 49ersWebzone