There are 286 users in the forums

David Akers injury revealed...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Chanhopper415:
Just sounds like it's more mental than physical though judging by the last Cards game. Yeah it could be physical but you would have to think after he got the injections he had to be weary of that in his head which could cause him to be missing.

He went to see a surgeon a month and a half ago. It was definitely a physical issue, that now may have become mental or a combination of mental and physical.
Originally posted by rondoman:
He had 6 misses going into the N.O. game, in 10 games.

He has missed 7 since then, in 6 games.

Indeed, 18/24 >>>> 11/18
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
He had 6 misses going into the N.O. game, in 10 games.

He has missed 7 since then, in 6 games.

Indeed, 18/24 >>>> 11/18

Yeah so from 75% to 61%. Pretty big drop.
Explains a lot. Coach has a decision to make.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:

Yeah but it shouldnt be that tough of one if Akers is hurting. You gotta go with Cundiff in that case, as much as I hate to think of Cundiff kicking for us in the playoffs. Man, I just cant stop thinking this is gonna end up costing us.
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
David Akers will kick the game winning FG in the Super Bowl

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

Yeah but it shouldnt be that tough of one if Akers is hurting. You gotta go with Cundiff in that case, as much as I hate to think of Cundiff kicking for us in the playoffs. Man, I just cant stop thinking this is gonna end up costing us.
it does not explain why the coach did not have a plan b in place just in case akers suffers a relapse which he did, and then he should have signed the best kicker out there in kaeding when he blew the second rams game in early december, but f**k no,, they just let it ride and look where we are today on the eve of the most important game of the year so far for us amazing
Originally posted by Chanhopper415:
Just sounds like it's more mental than physical though judging by the last Cards game. Yeah it could be physical but you would have to think after he got the injections he had to be weary of that in his head which could cause him to be missing.

Nah...this makes sense. He also wasn't getting the ball into the endzone on his kickoffs against Arizona.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Nah...this makes sense. He also wasn't getting the ball into the endzone on his kickoffs against Arizona.

This, last year he boomed the majority of his kicks to the back of the endzone, this year they've been falling short. He's definitely had an injury, I just wish it had been addressed sooner.
Originally posted by cciowa:

it does not explain why the coach did not have a plan b in place just in case akers suffers a relapse which he did, and then he should have signed the best kicker out there in kaeding when he blew the second rams game in early december, but f**k no,, they just let it ride and look where we are today on the eve of the most important game of the year so far for us amazing

Oh I agree. Harbaugh needed to have a plan B in place that was better than signing Cundiff a week before the playoffs start.

all of his kicks fade to the right (or left depending which perspective). he has consistent misses.

he hasn't been kicking as far on kickoffs either :(

get well soon akers!
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
It's kinda hard to blame Harbaugh for thinking Akers was good to go for the season after he tied the record for longest FG in NFL history.

Akers wasn't perfect before he had the complication against NO, but it wasn't really that alarming to me at that point. He was kicking a high percentage of long FGs, IIRC.

When he had the complication, they did start looking at other kickers. Just because you feel those kickers would be an upgrade over Akers, it doesn't mean that the coaching staff agreed.

The issue was compounded in the Cardinals game because Akers took some hits and hurt his foot.

So now they signed Cundiff to compete in case Akers has can't get it together.

It all makes sense to me. Saying that they should have swapped him right away after the NO game is hindsight bias. We don't know if a new kicker would have done better.

We also will never know what the best decision would have been if any kicker on the roster struggles in the playoffs.
Hey after knowing this....

Let's keep throwing him under a bus and asking him to hit those crucial kicks.

Which BTW with this in mind he actually has done better than I would expect. We haven't missed any extra points have we?

Only thing I can think of is we are trying to be cheap and avoid paying the lowly salary of a second kicker....
Originally posted by BayArea:

Which BTW with this in mind he actually has done better than I would expect. We haven't missed any extra points have we?

Only thing I can think of is we are trying to be cheap and avoid paying the lowly salary of a second kicker....

Blake Costanzo?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BayArea:

Blake Costanzo?
you had to bring that name up,, another bonehead off season move to go along with a piss poor draft. back to num nuts kicker, it is a head scratcher as to why they did not bring someone in when he f**ked up the first rams game, it is inexcusable to let it go after he f**ked up the second rams game.negligence on the part of the coaches in my opinion
Share 49ersWebzone