LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 369 users in the forums

David Akers injury revealed...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by rondoman:
Originally posted by BayArea:
Hey after knowing this....

Let's keep throwing him under a bus and asking him to hit those crucial kicks.

Which BTW with this in mind he actually has done better than I would expect. We haven't missed any extra points have we?

Only thing I can think of is we are trying to be cheap and avoid paying the lowly salary of a second kicker....

Blake Costanzo?
you had to bring that name up,, another bonehead off season move to go along with a piss poor draft. back to num nuts kicker, it is a head scratcher as to why they did not bring someone in when he f**ked up the first rams game, it is inexcusable to let it go after he f**ked up the second rams game.negligence on the part of the coaches in my opinion
Yeah and the fact he signed with the Bears for 2 years at 1.8 million total too. That was a big loss on ST.

Just as bad as I was hoping. No wonder he has it bad. I still want him to kick for us but if he is going through something...what can you do about it?
Originally posted by Wodwo:
It's kinda hard to blame Harbaugh for thinking Akers was good to go for the season after he tied the record for longest FG in NFL history.

Akers wasn't perfect before he had the complication against NO, but it wasn't really that alarming to me at that point. He was kicking a high percentage of long FGs, IIRC.

When he had the complication, they did start looking at other kickers. Just because you feel those kickers would be an upgrade over Akers, it doesn't mean that the coaching staff agreed.

The issue was compounded in the Cardinals game because Akers took some hits and hurt his foot.

So now they signed Cundiff to compete in case Akers has can't get it together.

It all makes sense to me. Saying that they should have swapped him right away after the NO game is hindsight bias. We don't know if a new kicker would have done better.

We also will never know what the best decision would have been if any kicker on the roster struggles in the playoffs.

Good post. Refreshing to see a little rational thought in a thread that's full of "OMG Harbaugh is the sux! The coaches are stupid and throwing away our SB blah blah blah...."
Originally posted by KegBert:
It's kinda hard to blame Harbaugh for thinking Akers was good to go for the season after he tied the record for longest FG in NFL history.

Akers wasn't perfect before he had the complication against NO, but it wasn't really that alarming to me at that point. He was kicking a high percentage of long FGs, IIRC.

When he had the complication, they did start looking at other kickers. Just because you feel those kickers would be an upgrade over Akers, it doesn't mean that the coaching staff agreed.

The issue was compounded in the Cardinals game because Akers took some hits and hurt his foot.

It all makes sense to me. Saying that they should have swapped him right away after the NO game is hindsight bias. We don't know if a new kicker would have done better.

We also will never know what the best decision would have been if any kicker on the roster struggles in the playoffs.

Good post. Refreshing to see a little rational thought in a thread that's full of "OMG Harbaugh is the sux! The coaches are stupid and throwing away our SB blah blah blah...."

He was never kicking a high percentage of long FG. The first 10 games, before the N.O. game, he was 18-24 and he was 6-10 from 40-49 yards out, and 1-3 at 50+ yards.
[ Edited by rondoman on Jan 3, 2013 at 6:47 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

why did they set on this for over a month when they knew this was a problem and it cost us two games ? i know it is the job of many to protect the coaches but they really f**ked this up waiting this long and then not signing the best guy among the group in kaeding when they had the chance. they just kicked the can down the road and when that can no longer kicks, then they act. reactive b******t in my opinion
Talk about being all out for the team. The guy just wont quit.

why did they set on this for over a month when they knew this was a problem and it cost us two games ? i know it is the job of many to protect the coaches but they really f**ked this up waiting this long and then not signing the best guy among the group in kaeding when they had the chance. they just kicked the can down the road and when that can no longer kicks, then they act. reactive b******t in my opinion

While I agree with what you are saying I can see their perspective. Cost us two games but not exactly season ending games either and it looks like they were hopefully wishing that their one year removed pro bowl kicker would get it together. Touchy situation when you have a guy struggling who was just yesterday the best in the league. Also playing a position that is not exactly priority #1 on the team.

Looks like they hoped the issue would fix itself and now that we are in win or go home stages of the season they had to address it.

Not that I don't agree with you but can see how we ended up in this situation.

While I agree with what you are saying I can see their perspective. Cost us two games but not exactly season ending games either and it looks like they were hopefully wishing that their one year removed pro bowl kicker would get it together. Touchy situation when you have a guy struggling who was just yesterday the best in the league. Also playing a position that is not exactly priority #1 on the team.

Looks like they hoped the issue would fix itself and now that we are in win or go home stages of the season they had to address it.

I would think a guy who's main goal is to score points, and with the way we are in the redzone, that this would be a pretty high priority.
Originally posted by rondoman:

I would think a guy who's main goal is to score points, and with the way we are in the redzone, that this would be a pretty high priority.

I would hope touchdowns and defense would take a priority over the field goals though. Having a game decided by a field goal should really be worst case scenario besides a loss of course.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

well maybe we will score all touchdowns and never have to get in a position where the game is decided on a field goal from two guys who make us all nervous. then we can kick the can down the road and deal with it in the off season

I'll take our chances with Akers all season long. Overall, Akers has been consistent enough to get the job done. We're in the playoffs with a first round bye, let the offense give him good field position so that he doesn't always have to kick 45 yarders.

The last thing we want now is a new kicker, Akers has been more consistent than Cundiff....

Didn't they bring in cundiff and Keading a few weeks ago to evaluate them? Although they didn't make a signing then, it shows that they where checking other options. We also didn't have an open roster spot then like we did just recently by letting Jacobs go, so I'm guessing we would have had to cut Akers to sign one of them, which would have been an even riskier move in my opinion.

Trust me, I understand your frustrations with the kicking game, it's been pretty abysmal but it's not like there was a wealth of good kickers out there and the coaches where just sitting on their thumbs while they all got snatched up. For the record though I'm not defending Harbaugh, I'll let his W-L record do that, I'm just stating my opinion.
bring back Nedney?
So a with a healthy Akers we could've been 13-3 and had the #1 seed?
stupid
Share 49ersWebzone