There are 193 users in the forums

Crabtree's NFL ranks among WRs

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
1000 yards is nothing considering there are 16 games. I don't see what the big deal is. It's only 62 yards per game. That should be the bare minimum expected out of your play makers.

It is when you have been targeted only 127 times whereas Brandon Marshall has been targeted 194 times.
Originally posted by Garcia:
I love Michael Crabtree.

But he lacks the physicality of an AJ Green, CJ, Brandon Marshall, Julio Jones to be in that echelon. IMO.
Doesn't have the size nor speed.

He can be in the tops of the next group of guys and be very productive.

If by that you mean that he doesn't have the physical "look" of those prototypical wide receivers, then maybe, but if you are referring to his physicality in terms of how he plays, then I would disagree. Crabtree has proved this year to be an extremely physical wide receiver, repeatedly breaking tackles and taking hits in converting 3rd downs into first downs. I think he may still be carrying that stereotype of a soft "diva" but watching him play this year has shown a totally different player.
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wodwo:
49ers were second to last in number passes attempted.

Crabtree's season is pretty impressive.

not to mention our play calls and offense limit his ability as well same with our QBs
Originally posted by activENEX4:
Comparing crab to rice in any other then theyve both suited up for the 49ers is idiotic

why? no one is comparing Crabtree's all time legacy to Rice or that he's just as good. just the way their built and how they play.

they said both were too slow to be successful in the NFL
both of their strength's a are YAC
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
And Rice was "slow", like Crabtree. Rice was also very quick, like Crabtree.
Quickness and acceleration are more important than raw speed at any position, including WR.

People seem to forget...

-- The difference between 4.5 and 4.4 is about 2ft over a 40 yard sprint.
-- Running 40 yards in a straight line is a rare event in football.
-- Being able to accelerate, change direction, and sell a route, creates anywhere between 0 - 1 seconds of separation. In other words, much more than a couple tenths of a second.

More de ja vu

still keeping the good fight kriz..........................................
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
1000 yards is nothing considering there are 16 games. I don't see what the big deal is. It's only 62 yards per game. That should be the bare minimum expected out of your play makers.

It is when you have been targeted only 127 times whereas Brandon Marshall has been targeted 194 times.

This, Crabs was targeted near equal amounts as Julio Jones, Steve Smith(CAR), and Marques Colston and he has a better Catch Percentage then all 3 of them and was their near statistical equal in terms of yards and YPA.

In fact the only player in the top 10 in receiving yards category with a better catch rate then Crabtree is Andre Johnson who has a 68% rate versus 66% of Crabs. All others have equal or worse. IF we passed as much as those teams did, Crabtree would easily equal or surpass most of the players in top 10....
I never thought in a million years the day that this article can be brought back up. This article was written four weeks after his very first NFL game.

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Drops-not-catches-occupy-Crabtree-s-thoughts-3209267.php
Originally posted by SaksV:
Originally posted by 49rz4Life:
Some of the greatest receivers ever weren't 6'3" and over 200 pounds. Crabtree can defintely be in the conversation of any receiver in the game right now. Half the receivers named in the so called upper echelon have a garbage or mediocre running game forcing the qb to throw a more than we have to. You dont have to be 6'3" 230 to be a prototypical WR. Crabtree has indeed grown into the total package.

Yep. Jerry Rice was what, 6'1" 1/2 195 - 200?

I agree that Crabs has the potential to be true #1, which has been a big ? up until this season.

That being said I think he will really benefit from having a solid and healthy #2. I think having Manningham really helped Crabs this year, I hope he is on the team next year.

Both have very good chemistry with Kap.
Crabs is our man for years to come. We just need to find another guy or two. I was hoping that would be Manningham but we're going to have to keep going to the well in the draft on this one. I get why we didn't draft some of the guys we passed on really are not as good as Crabs and we're trying to find compliments for him. I think that's why we took Jenkins.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by activENEX4:
Moss takes the defence number one defender when hes on the field

Peterson was covering Crab, and he got burned all day long

Originally posted by sfout:

This, Crabs was targeted near equal amounts as Julio Jones, Steve Smith(CAR), and Marques Colston and he has a better Catch Percentage then all 3 of them and was their near statistical equal in terms of yards and YPA.

In fact the only player in the top 10 in receiving yards category with a better catch rate then Crabtree is Andre Johnson who has a 68% rate versus 66% of Crabs. All others have equal or worse. IF we passed as much as those teams did, Crabtree would easily equal or surpass most of the players in top 10....

Posted this at the end of last year defending Crabs. He put up similar numbers last year considering he was not targeted much.
He's in the top 20 IMHO. Next year he could easily be top 15, maybe ever so maybe close to #10.
Originally posted by VA49er:
Crabs is our man for years to come. We just need to find another guy or two. I was hoping that would be Manningham but we're going to have to keep going to the well in the draft on this one. I get why we didn't draft some of the guys we passed on really are not as good as Crabs and we're trying to find compliments for him. I think that's why we took Jenkins.

I loved everything I saw from Manningham this year and hope we extend him. Hopefully Jenkins comes around and this group will be scary
Originally posted by mattster03:
He's in the top 20 IMHO. Next year he could easily be top 15, maybe ever so maybe close to #10.

IDK 15 guys in the game right now better than Crabs. He is arguably a top 10 receiver right now.

Nobody in the NFL had more yards that was targeted that few times.
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Jan 3, 2013 at 10:01 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone