Touchdowns, 9, t-11th
Yards after catch, 465, 7th
First downs, 57, 13th

Advanced Metrics:

Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement, 332, 8th
Defense-adjusted Value Over Average, 20.4%, 14th
Effective Yards, 1306, 13th
Catch Rate, 67%, 9th

I obviously won't get too crazy and say Crabtree's upside is in Megatron/AJ Green/Julio Jones land, but I think he's still on the upswing and settling into a developing offense and a new QB situation. I really think he can stake his claim as a clear-cut Top 5-10 WR next year (or maybe over the next month!).

Just wanted to throw some numbers behind the idea that he has emphatically shaken the BUST label. When you take a WR in the first half of round 1, you're obviously hoping for a true #1 WR who is among the best in the league... which is exactly what we got!
  • Garce
  • Veteran
I love Michael Crabtree.

But he lacks the physicality of an AJ Green, CJ, Brandon Marshall, Julio Jones to be in that echelon. IMO.
Doesn't have the size nor speed.

He can be in the tops of the next group of guys and be very productive.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
I see Crabtree as a Reggie Wayne with better YAC ability and blocking skills...which is just fine by me.
Originally posted by Garcia:
I love Michael Crabtree.

But he lacks the physicality of an AJ Green, CJ, Brandon Marshall, Julio Jones to be in that echelon. IMO.
Doesn't have the size nor speed.

He can be in the tops of the next group of guys and be very productive.

You're right that he's not that type of "prototypical" WR. But neither are a lot of guys who have been considered top-flight #1 options in recent years, such as Reggie Wayne, Greg Jennings, Mike Wallace, Roddy White. So I agree with you--that's the group he's in.
Originally posted by brizznasty:

Lol, is there a video clip available for this? I'd be curious...
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
You're right that he's not that type of "prototypical" WR. But neither are a lot of guys who have been considered top-flight #1 options in recent years, such as Reggie Wayne, Greg Jennings, Mike Wallace, Roddy White. So I agree with you--that's the group he's in.

Indeed and that begs the question of what exactly is a prototypical #1 WR because there aren't too many 6'5" 230 lbs WRs running around the league like CJ or even Marshalls size. Crabtree is much stronger than AJ Green, has route running/separation skills like Reggie Wayne to compensate for lack of straight line speed. (I'm beginning to question that as well because I've seen him put on some burners this season...). He's already one of the best blocking receivers in the game IMO.. Hands are impeccable... He's the total package right now and he's only going to get better the more he matures and we design plays around him.
Originally posted by SaksV:
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:

Indeed and that begs the question of what exactly is a prototypical #1 WR because there aren't too many 6'5" 230 lbs WRs running around the league like CJ or even Marshalls size. Crabtree is much stronger than AJ Green, has route running/separation skills like Reggie Wayne to compensate for lack of straight line speed. (I'm beginning to question that as well because I've seen him put on some burners this season...). He's already one of the best blocking receivers in the game IMO.. Hands are impeccable... He's the total package right now and he's only going to get better the more he matures and we design plays around him.

Some of the greatest receivers ever weren't 6'3" and over 200 pounds. Crabtree can defintely be in the conversation of any receiver in the game right now. Half the receivers named in the so called upper echelon have a garbage or mediocre running game forcing the qb to throw a more than we have to. You dont have to be 6'3" 230 to be a prototypical WR. Crabtree has indeed grown into the total package.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Sounds like he should be ranked #12...
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49rz4Life:
Some of the greatest receivers ever weren't 6'3" and over 200 pounds. Crabtree can defintely be in the conversation of any receiver in the game right now. Half the receivers named in the so called upper echelon have a garbage or mediocre running game forcing the qb to throw a more than we have to. You dont have to be 6'3" 230 to be a prototypical WR. Crabtree has indeed grown into the total package.

Yep. Jerry Rice was what, 6'1" 1/2 195 - 200?

• krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49rz4Life:

this is like De Ja vu from like 6 or 7 years ago. I even used running a 4.38 in my argument.

As I said back then, opportunity is what makes the elite elite. not size, speed, weight ETC.....
Hes a top 15 wr not top ten. If u go off the last 6 or 7 weeks maybe hez in top 10
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
49ers were second to last in number passes attempted.

Crabtree's season is pretty impressive.
He's made me a beleiver, and i was one of his harshest critics.

I dont beleive he is top ten yet, But he has definately blossomed into a true #1 WR, and next year, with a full offseason of work with Kaep, and hopefully a more explosive and developed passing attack than what we have seen in offensive gameplans this season, Who knows. Right now he has yet to peak out, and wear he ultimately peaks is a guessing game at this point, but he is trending upwards.
W/o moss crabtree wuld not have had the success hes had this year
Share 49ersWebzone