LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 190 users in the forums

If Roman leaves, who would you want at OC?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

If Roman leaves, who would you want at OC?

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
jEEZ, nERVOUS Norvous? Are you talking about the same guy who came here about 7-8 yrs ago, getting a gig with us so he could wait for his NEXT HC job? You gotta be kidding. Besides, that, he is a krappy coach. His job in SD should have been over 2 yrs ago. Norv is like bedbugs. they are like roaches. norv fits in there somewhere. That would be the worlds worst signing for us. norv is an out and out opportunist, and we don't need that.

My answer for HC is ....Jim Harbaugh, who calls plays most of time anyway. We need an OC to help with administrative stuff...stuff that JH doesn't have time for. We got one of the best OCs in the business right now and he happens to also be our qb,OC, and HC. Please, cut roman adrift, and please avoid norvous like the plague. The guy is bad for not this team , but any team. How about trust? Norv promised noln he would be here 2 yrs.(so the story goes), and we all know how that worked out. Trestman? Wasn't he here, once upon a time as an asst? or did he actually do some OC? Whatever, not impressed wth him either.

The height of ignorance, not having a clue who a guy is and not being "impressed" by him.

"But i sure do like JH as OC, jsut like bellicheat and Coach Walsh. Sure , other guys were here, but Coach W was actually the playcaller deluxe. So is Jim harbaugh. I do like childress and would be ok wth him.. My fav by far is whisnehunt, but he will get another HC job for certain. Great football guy."

A. Belichick doesn't call the offensive plays for the Patriots anymore than George Seifert called offensive plays for the 49ers when he was the head coach.

B. Whisenhunt is a mediocre head coach, lousy leader and inflexible, Singletary with a few more brain cells.

Beat me to it Pheonix
Jimmy Raye!
Originally posted by JayPap:
Jimmy Raye!

His son is likely to be San Diego's new GM.
I chose Norv, because he is a proven high quality OC. Head coach not so much...but thems the breaks. One qualifier though, in the interview he has to agree not to change the play book. He calls the plays and can slowly add his own flavor, but no day one overhaul of our offense. We have a young QB, don't screw with the system as he learns.
Norv Turner?????? People, you are aware he runs a totally different system than Harbaugh right? I can see NO WAY Norv is even interviewed. Besides his offenses are completely stale in the modern NFL.

(Now watch us sign him!)
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Norv Turner?????? People, you are aware he runs a totally different system than Harbaugh right? I can see NO WAY Norv is even interviewed. Besides his offenses are completely stale in the modern NFL.

(Now watch us sign him!)

Different yes, but it doesn't make him incapable. Like I said it would be very dependent on keeping our offense. I am not a big fan of what's out there....might actually be better searching the college ranks.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by JayPap:
Jimmy Raye!

His son is likely to be San Diego's new GM.

Gamble and Keim very much in the mix
Coach Harbaugh has a handle on the offensive side, whereas the previous two coaches had no concept of offense whatsoever. I believe Coach doesn't need someone to come in with a different offensive philosophy to run the offense. Coach and his brother know what's out there, my thinking is he may go to the college ranks. It may not even be an issue unless Roman gets some calls.
Norv !!
I wish he would stay, we all saw what happen to smith every time they changed an OC, but if we must, i would say Geep so the stability of our current system is there

Originally posted by forty9ers:
I wish he would stay, we all saw what happen to smith every time they changed an OC, but if we must, i would say Geep so the stability of our current system is there

Unlike during the Nolan/Singletary era, this team has a defined offensive philosophy set by Harbaugh,any coordinator that came in would be following the basic offense that is already in place. For a professional playcaller, that shouldn't be an issue.

I'm not worried about the offensive philosophy, I'm more concerned about the playcalling, have someone with the right skills, able to play chess on the football field basically, discover and attack an opponent's weakpoints, know when to be conservative and when to all-out attack, call plays appropriately, make in-game adjustments as needed, get the maximum performance out of all the various offensive weapons...etc...etc.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 1, 2013 at 9:29 PM ]
I think it's been said, but wouldn't it be awesome to get Andy Reid.

The niners need a west coast offense mind and theres no better than Andy Reid, and they would still run a power running game. The niners need to run a quicker passing game. Its what the true west coast is about.

Norv Turner doesn't run the West coast offense, but he could be good with Kaepernick. What I used to like with Norv Turner is when he ran the counter plays in the run offense with the line going right and frank taking a step or two right and coming back left. This is what we need to do with La Michael james. Norv can be a good coach but does he want to do the O-coordinator position again.

Also any coach coming in has to run their offense through a version west coast lense which we need to do to have continuity.

Geep Chyrst does have a few seasons as the O coordinator for the Chargers and Cardinals, but I think it would be tough to give Geep Chryst the O coordinator gig. I think the o Coordinator job is too important. Continuity on offense is really all the Niners need to take the team to the next level hopefully a continual playoff presence for a long time.
Wow, not one person would want Tom Rathman? Every place he has gone the running game has improved greatly. He's never had a chance @ OC, why not give him a chance with a team structured to run with a HC whom he can work beside? I know Rathman will get his chance someday b/c he is a great offensive mind and the pedigree to boot, why not give him a chance with us?
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Alex Smith

this
if not available then Geep Chryst
lol that's funny actually would think he make a great Oc, he always got out of the bad plays roman calls lol... Future OC Alex Smith I think he make a great coach one day. ANYONE WHO HAS A PASSING SCHEME! Geep, Norv. With Jim the running game will be great but we need someone who can figure out how to get the fully power out of kaps arm. Rathman won't be a OC he's said it before he doesn't want the job because he wouldn't get enough time to spend with his family if he was, so he's not looking to be one he's happy coaching what he loves and that's the running backs.
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Jan 1, 2013 at 9:50 PM ]
Pat Shurmer, great offensive mind runs a WCO like Harbaugh. I think he got a raw deal in Cleveland, he was turning them around.
Share 49ersWebzone