LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 135 users in the forums

49ers sign Billy Cundiff

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Mindi Bach ‏@MBachCSN #49ers Akers FG breakdown 1/1 (1-19 yds) 8/9 (20-29 yds) 11/13 (30-39 yds) 7/13 (40-49 yds) 2/6 (50+ yds)

I guess Harbs and baalke forgot about this.

Cundiff is 12-14 in his career in the playoffs

But the ones hes missed were the most important one.

Can somebody tell me why were complaining about Cundiff's track record, and completely ignoring the fact that David Akers is HORRIBLE right now?? Cundiff can only be better. Were at rock bottom with Akers. There arent any elite kickers available right now.

Its the equivalent of the Cardinals complaining about getting Tony Romo. "He chokes!" Look who you have right now.
Matt Maiocco ‏
@MaioccoCSN 49ers kicker David Akers reveals he had surgery for double sports hernia in February.
Kind of ironic that our kickers combined for 3 of the last 4 pro bowl spots at K.
I still say we sign Pablo Sandoval...He would be like a slimmer Janikowski!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
Can somebody tell me why were complaining about Cundiff's track record, and completely ignoring the fact that David Akers is HORRIBLE right now?? Cundiff can only be better. Were at rock bottom with Akers. There arent any elite kickers available right now.

Its the equivalent of the Cardinals complaining about getting Tony Romo. "He chokes!" Look who you have right now.
this is the post of the year,, good job. everyone keeps saying I would rather keep akers . WHY? What on earth has akers done in the last month to possible make you want him. i say if billy has another day in the kicking derby friday as he did today, cut akers ass. give lee lots of reps with billy and we will be ready to go next saturday,, now is not the time to f**k around with this
Regardless of what we do, it's very concerning to be going into the playoffs with the FG kicker situation up in the air. Man, this could really come up and bite us in the A$$.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Matt Maiocco ‏
@MaioccoCSN 49ers kicker David Akers reveals he had surgery for double sports hernia in February.

Yikes! Time to shut him down.
The 49ers just gotta make sure they don't put themselves in a situation like the ravens last year, if they are a head at least 10 points there wouldn't be an issue . Just make them kicks around the 40-45 yard and all is well.
if this trend continues for this competition....I hope we'll just put Akers on IR, instead of releasing him. Poor guy, he should be part of the team during these playoffs till the end.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Afrikan:
if this trend continues for this competition....I hope we'll just put Akers on IR, instead of releasing him. Poor guy, he should be part of the team during these playoffs till the end.

the hell with akers. he was the reason we had to root for the vikings to beat the packers to get a bye. f**k him. when i kicker f**ks us, i can cut him loose and sleep like a baby

Originally posted by cciowa:
the hell with akers. he was the reason we had to root for the vikings to beat the packers to get a bye. f**k him. when i kicker f**ks us, i can cut him loose and sleep like a baby

But an injured Akers may be better than a healthy Cundiff.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
www.rotoworld.com

David Akers (pelvis) revealed Thursday that he underwent surgery last February for a double sports hernia.

Complications from that surgery have been behind his struggles of late. Akers was shaky on the first day of his kicking competition while Billy Cundiff showed a stronger and more accurate leg. "The telling sign to me is the fact he's missing them wide left, which means he's not getting his hips through the ball," ex-49ers kicker Joe Nedney said of Akers. "He's not swinging confidently through the ball." It's premature to predict a winner here, but Cundiff appears to have the edge.

Or maybe not. If Akers pelvis doesn't dramatically get better by next week, as bad as it may sound to some of you, Cundiff would be the safer and better option.
Originally posted by KaepernickFan:
www.rotoworld.com

Quote:
David Akers (pelvis) revealed Thursday that he underwent surgery last February for a double sports hernia.

Complications from that surgery have been behind his struggles of late. Akers was shaky on the first day of his kicking competition while Billy Cundiff showed a stronger and more accurate leg. "The telling sign to me is the fact he's missing them wide left, which means he's not getting his hips through the ball," ex-49ers kicker Joe Nedney said of Akers. "He's not swinging confidently through the ball." It's premature to predict a winner here, but Cundiff appears to have the edge.

Or maybe not. If Akers pelvis doesn't dramatically get better by next week, as bad as it may sound to some of you, Cundiff would be the safer and better option.

A healthy Cundiff is 7/12 this year which is not better than how Akers has been in his rough stretch that started in NO.
A healthy Cundiff is 7/12 this year which is not better than how Akers has been in his rough stretch that started in NO.

As of today Cundiff is performing better. If he keeps it up in practice its a no brainer
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:

not in practice so far and if this keeps up tomorrow, i think the decision is easy to make.
Share 49ersWebzone