LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 288 users in the forums

49ers sign Billy Cundiff

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KaepernickFan:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
But an injured Akers may be better than a healthy Cundiff.
www.rotoworld.com

David Akers (pelvis) revealed Thursday that he underwent surgery last February for a double sports hernia.

Complications from that surgery have been behind his struggles of late. Akers was shaky on the first day of his kicking competition while Billy Cundiff showed a stronger and more accurate leg. "The telling sign to me is the fact he's missing them wide left, which means he's not getting his hips through the ball," ex-49ers kicker Joe Nedney said of Akers. "He's not swinging confidently through the ball." It's premature to predict a winner here, but Cundiff appears to have the edge.

Or maybe not. If Akers pelvis doesn't dramatically get better by next week, as bad as it may sound to some of you, Cundiff would be the safer and better option.
i would be very disapointed if they let this linger into next week. make the decision tomorrow or saturday thus giving lee lots of reps with billy, if that is who they pick
Originally posted by Squidp:
As of today Cundiff is performing better. If he keeps it up in practice its a no brainer

I wonder how he was performing in practice in Washington earlier this year?
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by Squidp:
As of today Cundiff is performing better. If he keeps it up in practice its a no brainer

I wonder how he was performing in practice in Washington earlier this year?

If Akers is hurting you have to go with Cundiff. That said, performing kicks in practice doesnt mean a thing compared to a game situation, especially in the playoffs, and we all know that what happened last year in Baltimore has got to be in the back of his head.
Akers is performing realy bad. If Cundiff has any pulse, put him in.
Originally posted by BayArea:
I like what I am hearing about Cundiff. Like many others I hear his name and only think about that botched kick in the AFC championship. I tend to overlook that the guy was pretty much automatic anything inside 55 for the Ravens all season before that.

I think Akers is still hurting from that groin or whatever injury he had. Maybe heal him up and he will be good next year and in the meantime we can use this guy. Just hopefully we don't have to put him in position to win a game in the clutch.

I am quoting myself because I want to at least have this pointed out.
is it possible to isolate a kicker and send him out there with no idea of the score or situation? (aka removing all pressure)
I like what I am hearing about Cundiff. Like many others I hear his name and only think about that botched kick in the AFC championship. I tend to overlook that the guy was pretty much automatic anything inside 55 for the Ravens all season before that.

I think Akers is still hurting from that groin or whatever injury he had. Maybe heal him up and he will be good next year and in the meantime we can use this guy. Just hopefully we don't have to put him in position to win a game in the clutch.

Yeah except he was pretty horrible this season with the Skins before he was cut. 7-12 including 2 misses from 30-39 yards.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by rondoman:
If Akers is hurting you have to go with Cundiff. That said, performing kicks in practice doesnt mean a thing compared to a game situation, especially in the playoffs, and we all know that what happened last year in Baltimore has got to be in the back of his head.
and we all know what happened in two losses to the rams this year don't we. akers is in the FRONT of EVERYONES head right now
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

wow, you have alot of people inside of you

Yeah except he was pretty horrible this season with the Skins before he was cut. 7-12 including 2 misses from 30-39 yards.

Ill give him a pass. Akers was pretty horrible with the US this season as well so it can't hurt to try.

Originally posted by 49erfaithful49:
is it possible to isolate a kicker and send him out there with no idea of the score or situation? (aka removing all pressure)

Punch him in the head right before each kick
oops
[ Edited by BayArea on Jan 3, 2013 at 6:14 PM ]

Ill give him a pass. Akers was pretty horrible with the US this season as well so it can't hurt to try.

He was hitting 75% of his kicks before the Saints game (6 misses in 10 games). 61% since (7 misses in 6 games).

He was hitting 75% of his kicks before the Saints game (6 misses in 10 games). 61% since (7 misses in 6 games).

In the end the only thing I can really conclude is that we are in no position to put either kicker in a situation where he either makes it or we lose. Simple as that really. Last year we could lay the whole season on one kick and this season we better not cut it so close or it's a coin toss.

In the end the only thing I can really conclude is that we are in no position to put either kicker in a situation where he either makes it or we lose. Simple as that really. Last year we could lay the whole season on one kick and this season we better not cut it so close or it's a coin toss.
Just another item on the list where we can put "no room for error."
Share 49ersWebzone