There are 44 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Anyone else worried about retaining the current Niners coaching staff?

Originally posted by GNielsen:
I wouldn't mind seeing Geep Cryst run the offensive play-calling at all. I think there would be more cohesiveness in the passing game. Tomsula is obviously going to get a look at head coaching jobs because he's got charisma, lots of personality and it's clear that players love him. The coach I would be most worried about losing is Fangio.

And you're basing this off of what exactly? His stellar record of being an offensive coordinator previously? Of chucking the ball downfield on 3rd and 2.....running up the middle on 2nd and 20, being an utterly vanilla playcaller. The Chargers have run the Air Coryell offense almost nonstop since 1978 with the exception of the years 1997-2000 which featured Kevin Gilbride and Geep Chryst using the stretch offense....and ended up being an absolute disaster. The 26th and 30th ranked offenses in the NFL while Chryst was calling the plays.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I wouldn't mind seeing Geep Cryst run the offensive play-calling at all. I think there would be more cohesiveness in the passing game. Tomsula is obviously going to get a look at head coaching jobs because he's got charisma, lots of personality and it's clear that players love him. The coach I would be most worried about losing is Fangio.

And you're basing this off of what exactly? His stellar record of being an offensive coordinator previously? Of chucking the ball downfield on 3rd and 2.....running up the middle on 2nd and 20, being an utterly vanilla playcaller. The Chargers have run the Air Coryell offense almost nonstop since 1978 with the exception of the years 1997-2000 which featured Kevin Gilbride and Geep Chryst using the stretch offense....and ended up being an absolute disaster. The 26th and 30th ranked offenses in the NFL while Chryst was calling the plays.

Thanks for the info. I was only basing it on the fact that I don't like the current setup where the guy calling the plays crafts the running scheme and other coaches craft the passing scheme and I was assuming Chryst was more oriented to the passing game. Maybe I'm blaming the wrong guy for what I see as a non-imaginative passing scheme. When I look at the Seahawks and especially the Patriots, I see lots of interesting picks and misdirections designed to get players open. I guess your opionion would be that Chryst is not the guy to develop that kind of attack.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Thanks for the info. I was only basing it on the fact that I don't like the current setup where the guy calling the plays crafts the running scheme and other coaches craft the passing scheme and I was assuming Chryst was more oriented to the passing game. Maybe I'm blaming the wrong guy for what I see as a non-imaginative passing scheme. When I look at the Seahawks and especially the Patriots, I see lots of interesting picks and misdirections designed to get players open. I guess your opionion would be that Chryst is not the guy to develop that kind of attack.

I don't like Roman being the playcaller, but I'll say that I would rather keep Roman around than wind up with Chryst. My brother has been a hardcore Chargers fan for life, they speak of Chryst the same way characters in Harry Potter spoke of Voldemort. "The one whose name must not be spoken."
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I don't like Roman being the playcaller, but I'll say that I would rather keep Roman around than wind up with Chryst. My brother has been a hardcore Chargers fan for life, they speak of Chryst the same way characters in Harry Potter spoke of Voldemort. "The one whose name must not be spoken."

Okay, I was completely unaware of that because I've never paid much attention to the Chargers. Interesting. Assuming Roman leaves, who do you want running the offense? How about Andy Reid or Ken Wisenhunt?
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Okay, I was completely unaware of that because I've never paid much attention to the Chargers. Interesting. Assuming Roman leaves, who do you want running the offense? How about Andy Reid or Ken Wisenhunt?

Both are likely to be head coaches again next year. Reid is interviewing with Arizona, while Whisenhunt is drawing interest from Buffalo and San Diego. I already mentioned my preferences for Pat Shurmur and Marc Trestman earlier in this thread. Others like Norv, and if that was feasible, I wouldn't be against that either.
Roman is the most likely to go, but the Niners can then bring in Chris Ault, Kaep's old ball coach from Nevada Reno to take the reins of our Hybrid Pistol offense.
They're all a dime a dozen. Let em go and pursue their career paths.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,131
Originally posted by English:
Bye Roman

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

No great loss, IMO.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by English:
Bye Roman

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

No great loss, IMO.

Who would be his replacement though? The only one that seems to make sense is Pat Shurmur. He is a west coast offense guy.

Unless Holmegren is willing to be an OC again
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Who would be his replacement though? The only one that seems to make sense is Pat Shurmur. He is a west coast offense guy.

Unless Holmegren is willing to be an OC again

The guy I've been talking about for awhile, who Harbaugh is quite familiar with, who Bill Walsh called his "most brilliant" pupil?
  • dj43
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,131
Other than Tom Gamble, I really don't think the 49er assistants will draw all that much serious attention. Some will get interviews but I do not expect a major exodus.

For anyone that is really paying attention, they will see that the defense is good because of superior talent, not scheme. I have been very disappointed in Vic Fangio. He was an assistant to Dom Capers, who I think runs some of the most innovative and productive blitz schemes and overall defense in the league, yet Fangio has relied on just 4 rushers and dropped 7 much of the time. This scheme has been particularly exposed now with Justin Smith injured. With no effective blitz strategy, the lack of pass rush and ability to control a mobile QB, the 49er pass defense has been nothing special.

Don't get me started on Roman although as I stated in the rudimentary thread, I lay a large portion of the blame on Harbaugh for not bringing more creativity to the passing game. If Harbaugh has been really paying attention, I would not be surprised to see Roman "encouraged" to accept an offer from another team and be replaced by someone with more imagination.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,131
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by English:
Bye Roman

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

No great loss, IMO.

Who would be his replacement though? The only one that seems to make sense is Pat Shurmur. He is a west coast offense guy.

Unless Holmegren is willing to be an OC again

Shurmur did a good job of protecting/developing Sam Bradford albeit with some very limited receiving talent. Also, he used Steven Jackson very well.
As long as we keep Fangio and Seely.
I don't want to lose Jim Tomsula most of all.

I'd hate to lose:

1. D-Line: Jim Tomsula
2. DC: Vic Fangio
3. ST Coach: Brad Seely
4. RB coach: Tom Rathman
[ Edited by PTulini on Jan 1, 2013 at 11:32 AM ]
Originally posted by PTulini:
I don't want to lose Jim Tomsula most of all.

I'd hate to lose:

1. D-Line: Jim Tomsula
2. DC: Vic Fangio
3. ST Coach: Brad Seely
4. RB coach: Tom Rathman

These guys to, I was thinking main coordinators.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home