There are 219 users in the forums

Anyone else worried about retaining the current Niners coaching staff?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Oh no we're gonna lose roman

Please no
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Fangio isn't going anywhere. He's been around so long that if he was going to be a head coach, it would have happened already. There's guys like the late Jim Johnson who were good at their particular roles but never really had a shot to move up, or simply didn't want it. The Falcons OC and special teams coach are being interviewed for head coaching positions but for some crazy reason, Mike Nolan isn't. Besides the guys that are being looked at in the college coaching ranks, you have a ton of other assistant coaches getting looks at HC positions.

It is entirely possible that someone like Donatell will leave for a coordinator position, and Seely might get a shot at being a head coach too, but I don't see it as likely.

Realistically I would expect Roman to be gone(I'm so sad and broken up about that) and Donatell to be a defensive coordinator for some other team.
Mike nolan is said to be interviewed for the eagles job... Really Roman can go, I doubt fangio he's been around and he's never gotten a look before, Like donatell to stay but he might get a dc job. And seely is considered one of the best special teams coachs in the nfl, but right now outside of andy lee the special teams flat out sucks!
As much as I'd love to see Trestman or Turner as the 49ers OC once roman leave, I believe our OC will be Geep Cryst, I just don't think Harb is going out of his coaching tree to find a replacement.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Oh no we're gonna lose roman

Please no

Sarcasm alert?
Originally posted by 49ersOnMINE:
As much as I'd love to see Trestman or Turner as the 49ers OC once roman leave, I believe our OC will be Geep Cryst, I just don't think Harb is going out of his coaching tree to find a replacement.

I hope not. If its between keeping Roman and having Cryst be the OC, I choose the former. Ask a long-time Chargers fan how they feel about Chryst. He was literally one of the worst offensive coordinators you can even imagine. Just very poor, vanilla playcalling, his tenure was only two seasons, but so awful that he's never been offered another coordinator position since.

How many other semi-successful coordinators do you know that don't get offered another shot within 12 years?

EDIT-LOL just found this.

Originally Posted by G0ChargersG0
http://forums.chargers.com/showpost....93&postcount=1 That would be ideal but Fangio might bring Geep Chryst with him to San Diego.
Oh god not Geep Chryst! That offense from 99' and swallow 00' was atrocious. I know he had Leaf and Harbaugh to work with but maan gimme a break. Inept was the word that best described us back then.

http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=91776&page=5
The only coach leaving is Roman, if any! And since our play book is our head coaches, it's not going to affect us like it has in the past!
GO NINERS!!!!!!!
[ Edited by ninercrue666 on Dec 31, 2012 at 11:32 PM ]

I hope not. If its between keeping Roman and having Cryst be the OC, I choose the former. Ask a long-time Chargers fan how they feel about Chryst. He was literally one of the worst offensive coordinators you can even imagine. Just very poor, vanilla playcalling, his tenure was only two seasons, but so awful that he's never been offered another coordinator position since.

How many other semi-successful coordinators do you know that don't get offered another shot within 12 years?

http://forums.chargers.com/showpost....93&postcount=1 That would be ideal but Fangio might bring Geep Chryst with him to San Diego.
Oh god not Geep Chryst! That offense from 99' and swallow 00' was atrocious. I know he had Leaf and Harbaugh to work with but maan gimme a break. Inept was the word that best described us back then.

It would be a OC by committee anyways. The media put it out there that Roman designs the run plays, Morton does the pass and Chryst does the red zone. Although, Roman is in charge of what play to call at one time (harbaugh might have veto power or a say though). I think it would still work as a committee between Harbaugh and Geep with Morton, the new QB coach and maybe even Rathman getting a say. We have an unselfish staff that takes everyone's suggestions and works as a team. And honestly in 12 years you don't think the guy has gotten wiser and better as a coach? I would have no problem with Geep as OC as long as everyone else is working with him. P.S. We would probably use a lot of Romans stuff anyways. Doubt we change what we do.
Originally posted by Gore_21:

It would be a OC by committee anyways. The media put it out there that Roman designs the run plays, Morton does the pass and Chryst does the red zone. Although, Roman is in charge of what play to call at one time (harbaugh might have veto power or a say though). I think it would still work as a committee between Harbaugh and Geep with Morton, the new QB coach and maybe even Rathman getting a say. We have an unselfish staff that takes everyone's suggestions and works as a team. And honestly in 12 years you don't think the guy has gotten wiser and better as a coach? I would have no problem with Geep as OC as long as everyone else is working with him. P.S. We would probably use a lot of Romans stuff anyways. Doubt we change what we do.
Please no. I would be really unhappy with this. Remember what happened when nolan promoted from within? Not saying its even remotely the same situation, but i do not think Chryst is good OC material.
Originally posted by Gore_21:

Yes, because successful NFL franchises always have playcalling-by-committee during games

Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Please no. I would be really unhappy with this. Remember what happened when nolan promoted from within? Not saying its even remotely the same situation, but i do not think Chryst is good OC material.

If Roman leaves and Harbaugh promotes Chryst because he's the easy option......I'm going to lose a lot of my current optimism about the future of this organization under him.
Yes, because successful NFL franchises always have playcalling-by-committee during games

I meant not during games; I am saying they would all have an input on designing plays and how we game plan. During the game Geep would decide what to call with Harbaugh having veto power. Of course you can't have all those guys calling plays during a game. As for Chryst like I said we would probably carry over most of the Roman stuff so the system would be the same and the continuity would stay the same. It's not like Chryst would come in and say I am changing everything and we will do it my way.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jan 1, 2013 at 1:01 AM ]

Jim Hostler wasn't even qualified to be the QBs coach much less OC. Guy should have been working in college. I'm not saying Geep is the best guy for the job if Roman leaves I am just saying it is a possibility and like I said we would probably run mostly the same stuff to keep continuity for Kap. Like I said this staff spends a ton of nights at the office and take very few days off. Harbaugh said they would be there every day this week where the players get off 5 of the days. These guys work and game plan as a team and all have a say.
I ould be really disapointed honestly with Ault. I dont think the pistol will last long term, and quite frankly, i dont think we are really suited to run it. I understand Kaep is athletic, and that we have LMJ, but i just dont like it. I would much rather Kaep learn to be a WCO QB, and build around that philosophy for the long term, then to possibly be the experiment for something that doesnt work out long term, and slows the development of our offense as a whole.

I would have agreed with you about the pistol and spread formations not being long lasting. However, with the multiple rule changes handcuffing defenses these spread formations are difficult to defend. Plus the fact that this is what is being taught at the high school and college level. After watching RG3 freeze Demarcus Ware time and time again during the Cowboy-Redskins game this past Sunday, and watching Russell Wilson do the same to Ahmad Brooks my thinking is changing. For every Andrew Luck there are Cams and RGs, and Wilsons, and Kaeps that run the spread, and win. I come from the Y.A. Tittle, Johnny U, and Charlie Conerly era so to admit this offense could make it is a change of character. It's the Wave of the Future.
Originally posted by Ballistic:
Outside of Harbauce, it looks like Fangio, Roman and even Seely would all seem to attract coaching openings around the league-- especially after today.

lol Seely isnt going to get any NFL head coaching jobs. Hes a ST wizard, but nothing more. And I think hes smart enough to know that.

I used to be worried about losing Roman, but ever since Kaep has taken over hes been calling a sloppy game.With Smith I think everything was very conservative and managed, so it was harder to tell, but since the offense has been opened up, Roman's playcalling has been almost idiotic at times.

Im thinking we could probably find a better fit for Kaepernick's playing style if Roman is hired away. Id say the chances are fairly slim though.
Share 49ersWebzone