LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 223 users in the forums

Does anyone still believe that we will win the SB this season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Does anyone still believe that we will win the SB this season?

Originally posted by rondoman:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I don't buy this 3-4 year window thing at all. The Patriots have been contenders for longer than that. The Niners were contenders for a LOT longer than that. The Packers have been contenders now for a few years and will continue to be. I also don't even begin to understand why people think you have to be a high seed. How many of the last five winners were high seeds? One? Two?

The Patriots and Packers are more so the exception to the rule. Realistically you have a 3-5 year window depending on your drafts. It's not that the window necessarily closes but you may have a down year or two to reload.

Also, mentioning what the Niners were doing 20 years ago means NOTHING in todays NFL landscape.

A Super Bowl winner is, by definition, the exception. No, just like today, the Niners success was built on a QB. The experience still means something. If Kaepernick turns out to be a great QB, the Niners will be in the hunt for as long as he plays, which could be ten or more years. I'm getting tired of young fans pretending that the Niners success in the 80's and 90's is irrelevant.
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Originally posted by susweel:
Brady: Momentum doesn't carry over in NFL

FOXBORO -- The New York Giants lost five of their final eight regular-season games in 2011. And they won the Super Bowl. The Packers went 3-3 in their final six regular-season games in 2010. And they won the Super Bowl. The Saints lost their final three regular-season games in 2009. And they won the Super Bowl. The Cardinals went 2-4 in their final six regular-season games in 2008. And lost the Super Bowl on a miraculous last-minute drive by the Steelers. The Giants lost two of their last three regular-season games in 2007. And they won the Super Bowl. The Colts lost three of their final five regular-season games in 2006. They allowed 219, 275, 133, 191 and 150 yards on the ground in those games. And they won the Super Bowl.

http://www.csnne.com/baseball-boston-redsox/redsox-talk/brady-momentum-doesnt-carry-over-in-nfl?blockID=817337&feedID=10426

You know what all those teams had in common?

A QB well versed in their offense and not still learning.

couldnt of said it better myself.

Wanna know something that's even more sad. that out of 151 votes soo far, 60% feel that we dont have a chance of winning the SB. And i was gonna start a poll, but i wont, but how much u wanna bet about 90% of that 60% is probably about the QB change.
not worried about the QB change. Russell Wilson's 7th game at the 'stick was bad and he's never looked back since. Sunday night was Kaep's 7th game give or take a couple of halves. I'm more worried about the injuries and the level of play of our D.
I don't buy this 3-4 year window thing at all. The Patriots have been contenders for longer than that. The Niners were contenders for a LOT longer than that. The Packers have been contenders now for a few years and will continue to be. I also don't even begin to understand why people think you have to be a high seed. How many of the last five winners were high seeds? One? Two?

The Patriots and Packers are more so the exception to the rule. Realistically you have a 3-5 year window depending on your drafts. It's not that the window necessarily closes but you may have a down year or two to reload.

Also, mentioning what the Niners were doing 20 years ago means NOTHING in todays NFL landscape.

A Super Bowl winner is, by definition, the exception. No, just like today, the Niners success was built on a QB. The experience still means something. If Kaepernick turns out to be a great QB, the Niners will be in the hunt for as long as he plays, which could be ten or more years. I'm getting tired of young fans pretending that the Niners success in the 80's and 90's is irrelevant.

It's irrelevant when it comes to the way the league is setup and how you can build teams now. The salary cap/free agency system has changed the entire landscape. I am not saying that a great QB is overrated, just saying you can no longer build teams to last like you could in the 80's and 90's. Teams can still compete for championships over several seasons, but with large roster turnover, not like in the 80's and 90's when you could keep a team together for years and years.
[ Edited by rondoman on Dec 26, 2012 at 6:00 PM ]
At the beginning of the year I was about 60% sure the 49ers were going to win it all with Alex Smith.

Now, I am 10% confident that the 49ers are going to win it all with Colin Kaepernick.

Next year I will probably be 40% sure :P
Not sure we can win three in a row, but with the Seahawks game, I don't understand why the coaches didn't slow the game down by running more with traps, and wham blocks and counters.
It's like we start getting our asses kicked and instead of switching back to "our" style of game, they just keep tossing the ball around. Hopefully, the coaches learn
something, but we have been saying this since the Viking game, the Giants game, etc. Am I wrong with this assessment, and who's to blame for it? Head coach, OC???
[ Edited by jeepzilla on Dec 26, 2012 at 6:06 PM ]
Never thought wed win a super bowl with Smith. I don't see us winning one with Kaep this year. Need a good to great qb to win a suoer bowl. Smith is average and Kaep is not there yet.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Originally posted by susweel:
Brady: Momentum doesn't carry over in NFL

FOXBORO -- The New York Giants lost five of their final eight regular-season games in 2011. And they won the Super Bowl. The Packers went 3-3 in their final six regular-season games in 2010. And they won the Super Bowl. The Saints lost their final three regular-season games in 2009. And they won the Super Bowl. The Cardinals went 2-4 in their final six regular-season games in 2008. And lost the Super Bowl on a miraculous last-minute drive by the Steelers. The Giants lost two of their last three regular-season games in 2007. And they won the Super Bowl. The Colts lost three of their final five regular-season games in 2006. They allowed 219, 275, 133, 191 and 150 yards on the ground in those games. And they won the Super Bowl.

http://www.csnne.com/baseball-boston-redsox/redsox-talk/brady-momentum-doesnt-carry-over-in-nfl?blockID=817337&feedID=10426

You know what all those teams had in common?

A QB well versed in their offense and not still learning.

Wanna know something that's even more sad. that out of 151 votes soo far, 60% feel that we dont have a chance of winning the SB. And i was gonna start a poll, but i wont, but how much u wanna bet about 90% of that 60% is probably about the QB change.
not worried about the QB change. Russell Wilson's 7th game at the 'stick was bad and he's never looked back since. Sunday night was Kaep's 7th game give or take a couple of halves. I'm more worried about the injuries and the level of play of our D.

Honestly i have to say that im more concerned about our O. I mean even if the D isnt playing as lights out as they did last year. That they still will show up and just stepping on the field thier great, and maybe not awesome, lol.

But our O, needs to show up more. to know just as crabs said, they they have to hold their own. If the playcalling isnt the best all game. Then when it is good, bang that s**t down their throats. I expect an offense to score. And if we cant then we're doomed.
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
Not sure we can win three in a row, but with the Seahawks game, I don't understand why the coaches didn't slow the game down by running more with traps, and wham blocks and counters.
It's like we start getting our asses kicked and instead of switching back to "our" style of game, they just keep tossing the ball around. Hopefully, the coaches learn
something, but we have been saying this since the Viking game, the Giants game, etc. Am I wrong with this assessment, and who's to blame for it? Head coach, OC???

Agreed. It's like the coaches panicked and the players could tell as well, and everything unraveled. We used to dictate to the other team what we would do, and it seems lately in these losses, we play right into the opponents hands instead of playing our game.
Gore will have to win us a game. Kap will have to win us a game. The defense will win us a game. The team (the team, the team) will bring home number 6
Everyone is caught up on the week to week hype. At one time this season the Texans were the complete team, and then the Falcons, the Patriots were a sure fire Super Bowl winner, even the Niners were a guarantee to be in the Super Bowl. Now the Broncos, with the biggest crème puff schedule imaginable are #1 and the Seahawks are The Next Big Thing. All I know is that everyone starts out 0-0 and many times during the years home field has meant nothing with wild cards going all the way. Can the Niners Do? Hell Yeah!

What poll are you talking about?
The poll in this thread is asking if the 49ers "will win the SB this season" not if the 49ers "have a chance" they are two very different questions are they not?
It appears to me that 44% of the responses are from people that think the 49ers are a lock and will win the SB this season.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We need a #1 reciever to win another SB.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:

What poll are you talking about?
The poll in this thread is asking if the 49ers "will win the SB this season" not if the 49ers "have a chance" they are two very different questions are they not?
It appears to me that 44% of the responses are from people that think the 49ers are a lock and will win the SB this season.

Ok woolick, touche, but i did smile, because we just crossed that bridge of half full or half empty. When i made that it was a few hours back. Now it stands corrected. 55% feel we will not win the SB, and 44 thinks we will. It's actually a pretty good question, being that we have had soo many changes recently.
Originally posted by Irish40Niner:
A lot of you are rooting for the wrong Smith to get back in the game. We need Justin not Alex to win, I hope JS is healthy for the playoffs. Otherwise we are in trouble, we won't go to far with our D giving up 38 a game. It won't matter who is playing at qb.....

Thanks for that. Some people just won't get over it; he's gone, won't be back, it's over..
Im not sure where our confidence is at the moment, and Im notsure teams are afraid of our defense like they once were. with that said I just dont know
Share 49ersWebzone