There are 159 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Mario Manningham has a Torn ACL and PCL

• DVDA
  • Veteran
Dirtiest tackle I've seen all year. Going after the knees of a player who is engaged is despicable. That player doesn't belong in the league.
Originally posted by DVDA:
Dirtiest tackle I've seen all year. Going after the knees of a player who is engaged is despicable. That player doesn't belong in the league.

Is that what happened? I don't recall seeing it like that. Isn't it a penalty to engage a guy low when someone has him up high?
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Is that what happened? I don't recall seeing it like that. Isn't it a penalty to engage a guy low when someone has him up high?

I don't think it was dirty. Just an unfortunate hit Manningham wasn't braced for because his back was turned.
  • sfout
  • Veteran

Yes that is what happened but its a byproduct of the league wanting to protect players from concussions.

DB had Rio by the ankles. Had Hill gone anything higher then a perfect shot to the gut he would've been flagged and fined. The NFL is forcing players to go low.

James Harrison did it very early this year or last year and tore/sprained someones knee ligaments after he got ripped a new 1 for his hit on Colt McCoy. He even admitted this very week that he has changed his target area to the knees.

---

You'll see -- Culliver is going to get fined for his hit and Hill wont be.
[ Edited by sfout on Dec 25, 2012 at 10:03 AM ]
Originally posted by SkyGod:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
It was the most intentionally dangerous tackle I've ever seen. I've never seen a player grab a guy by the knee's and then get hit up high like that. They would have thrown a flag if that was Goldson doing that. They threw a flag on us for probably the most gentle tackle of the night by either side.

The NFL is a joke with the whole player safety thing, they contradict themselves week after week. Whoever makes these rules doesn't seem to understand that picking a player UP off of the ground is safe compared to nailing a player to the ground without giving them the chance to fall down.

This ^ totaly agree it was definately an intentional tackle to try to injure Manningham by Hill.

As soon as Hill dove in hard for Manningham's knees there was no escaping a serious injury. The league can not allow this kind of dirty tackling on the field no player can walk away from a tackle like that without sustaining serious damage to their knees..

This times a 1000...that was an intent to injure tackle ..no one can convince me otherwise..yes its tackle football and injuries happen but professional players all know what a hit like that does. Manningham was already in grasp and Hill came at him at his knees "helmet first".. Hill did not try and tackle him and thats total BS. No matter what team the player is on 9ers or otherwise. Its just a damm game and in the end seeing any player walk home to his kids and family should be on every NFL players mind.
Again yes injuries do happen its a violent game but it should never be intentional and that was ..
That's what this team gets for not playing Jenkins. Now they have to use him.

BTW, osisw (sp) would've been nice right about now.
[ Edited by pdizo916 on Dec 25, 2012 at 10:30 AM ]
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Have to quote like this due to my cheap tablet. The DB had Manningham above his waist, he wasn't on his ankles. Youtube will show you this. I agree that the NFL is forcing players to go low, but that doesn't excuse what that linebacker did. Going low on an engaged player is as dirty and classless as it gets. You never do that, even to the guys you absolutely can't stand like Richard Sherman, Cam Newton, or Tim Tebow.

Originally posted by sfout:

Yes that is what happened but its a byproduct of the league wanting to protect players from concussions.

DB had Rio by the ankles. Had Hill gone anything higher then a perfect shot to the gut he would've been flagged and fined. The NFL is forcing players to go low.

James Harrison did it very early this year or last year and tore/sprained someones knee ligaments after he got ripped a new 1 for his hit on Colt McCoy. He even admitted this very week that he has changed his target area to the knees.

---

You'll see -- Culliver is going to get fined for his hit and Hill wont be.
  • cools
  • Veteran
Brian Tyms has spent time with the Niners, I remember hearing some good things about him in training camp

http://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/Rookie-wideout-Tyms-runs-toward-future-3791826.php

I wouldnt be surprised if we pick him up off the Dolphins PS

The rule you're referring to doesn't apply to the ball carrier, IIRC.
Have to quote like this due to my cheap tablet. The DB had Manningham above his waist, he wasn't on his ankles. Youtube will show you this. I agree that the NFL is forcing players to go low, but that doesn't excuse what that linebacker did. Going low on an engaged player is as dirty and classless as it gets. You never do that, even to the guys you absolutely can't stand like Richard Sherman, Cam Newton, or Tim Tebow.

This ^ and for anyone who thinks it wasn't either intentional or dirty think again. Stand up engaged and stationary i gaurantee you that any football player the size of Hill could easily take out your ACL & PCL with the same dirty tackle that Hill used on Mario. Look at the film and the way Hill comes diving in Hill knew what he wanted to do! And any apologies from Hill to Manningham?

Leroy Hill? Isn't this the same guy that was charged with assaulting his girlfriend...

http://www.issaquahpress.com/2010/05/19/seattle-seahawks-linebacker-leroy-hill-makes-issaquah-court-appearance/

Nope, not a penalty in that scenario. Its only a penalty if a player is being blocked, and someone comes and clips him low. I don't like that the defender went low on Manningham like that, but it wasn't dirty IMO. Just unfortunate.
So uhh, surely we have to put another receiver on the 53 man roster. I doubt we go into the playoffs with only 4 receivers. I would think we learned from last year. So will we promote a player from the practice squad, such as Ricardo Lockette or pick up a veteran receiver?
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
So uhh, surely we have to put another receiver on the 53 man roster. I doubt we go into the playoffs with only 4 receivers. I would think we learned from last year. So will we promote a player from the practice squad, such as Ricardo Lockette or pick up a veteran receiver?

TO
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Nope, not a penalty in that scenario. Its only a penalty if a player is being blocked, and someone comes and clips him low. I don't like that the defender went low on Manningham like that, but it wasn't dirty IMO. Just unfortunate.

Yeah. MM is a small guy, no need to grab his legs and rip his knees like that.

Makes me wish Goldson power bombed Baldwin to the turf instead of putting him down.
Originally posted by dugo:
Originally posted by SkyGod:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
It was the most intentionally dangerous tackle I've ever seen. I've never seen a player grab a guy by the knee's and then get hit up high like that. They would have thrown a flag if that was Goldson doing that. They threw a flag on us for probably the most gentle tackle of the night by either side.

The NFL is a joke with the whole player safety thing, they contradict themselves week after week. Whoever makes these rules doesn't seem to understand that picking a player UP off of the ground is safe compared to nailing a player to the ground without giving them the chance to fall down.

This ^ totaly agree it was definately an intentional tackle to try to injure Manningham by Hill.

As soon as Hill dove in hard for Manningham's knees there was no escaping a serious injury. The league can not allow this kind of dirty tackling on the field no player can walk away from a tackle like that without sustaining serious damage to their knees..

This times a 1000...that was an intent to injure tackle ..no one can convince me otherwise..yes its tackle football and injuries happen but professional players all know what a hit like that does. Manningham was already in grasp and Hill came at him at his knees "helmet first".. Hill did not try and tackle him and thats total BS. No matter what team the player is on 9ers or otherwise. Its just a damm game and in the end seeing any player walk home to his kids and family should be on every NFL players mind.
Again yes injuries do happen its a violent game but it should never be intentional and that was ..

Watching the highlights and it is blatantly obvious that he went right at the knee. If you watch the play where Willis gets his INT, Okung does the same exact thing to Aldon after he gets beat. This team is one of the dirtiest in the league, and the officiating allows for it.