LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 217 users in the forums

Mario Manningham has a Torn ACL and PCL

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Harbaugh and Baalke have talked about this a lot. They are film guys. There was a lot of film on Jenkins because he played a lot and was consistently productive in college.

On the size thing, I think Harbaugh and Baalke are ahead of the curve on you guys. Things are in a constant state of flux in the NFL. Now that teams are going to bigger corners, I wouldn't be surprised if Harbaugh/Baalke are thinking speedsters getting down the field since they've got a QB with an absolute cannon for an arm. In fact, I think both the Jenkins and the James picks were done in expectation of a Kaepernick-led more explosive offense in the future.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Not really perplexed, just saying that I think he probably would have at least given us a different option with the bigger body. I'm not disappointed about the Jenkins pick, but just think that's what we need. Hill possess both, while Jenkins possesses the speed and quickness.

Actually excited to see what Jenkins has, cause at this point I don't have a clue. Hopefully a year to sit and learn has really benefitted him and he can get things going and add that vertical threat.

Regardless I still think we need that bigger receiver. Doesn't have to be a super star, but someone.
If we're talking about potential with no film to back it up and we're talking about size and speed, let's wait and see what Ricardo Lockette has got to offer. Dude has height and speed coming out of the wazoo.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Harbaugh and Baalke have talked about this a lot. They are film guys. There was a lot of film on Jenkins because he played a lot and was consistently productive in college.

On the size thing, I think Harbaugh and Baalke are ahead of the curve on you guys. Things are in a constant state of flux in the NFL. Now that teams are going to bigger corners, I wouldn't be surprised if Harbaugh/Baalke are thinking speedsters getting down the field since they've got a QB with an absolute cannon for an arm. In fact, I think both the Jenkins and the James picks were done in expectation of a Kaepernick-led more explosive offense in the future.

Yes the but the speedsters cannot get off the jam at the line of scrimmage. We need someone with enough size and strength to punch Richard Sherman in the mouth and then have the speed to blow past him. You knock the speedsters off their route and its over.
IMHO Stephen Hill is comparable to DHB, all speed and hands of stone.
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Yes the but the speedsters cannot get off the jam at the line of scrimmage. We need someone with enough size and strength to punch Richard Sherman in the mouth and then have the speed to blow past him. You knock the speedsters off their route and its over.

Yep, that's the challenge, but hopefully they'll be working on the jukes, because the danger in playing that kind of defense is that if you somehow DON'T get that jam, you're screwed. I just don't think you're going to get very far punching Sherman in the mouth because that takes time as well. And, if you get behind those guys once or twice, it screws their game up royally because they've got to start backing up and their game depends on being up on the line. I know Sherman had a great season last year, but I also think there is a reason why we have very seldom seen corners his size consistently successful in the NFL. Real quick receivers learn how to juke them and turn them around. Once that happens, everyone sees how they did it and that corner has got a real problem on his hands. I'm hoping that's what we see next season. I've seen it happen quite a few times before.
duplicate posting
[ Edited by GNielsen on Mar 4, 2013 at 11:07 AM ]
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
I personally feel we need a big bodied red zone target. Someone to free up not only Crabtree, but VD as well. We have the quickness in Crabtree, Ham and hopefully Jenkins. What we need is someone who can win a jump ball, go up high to get a pass, and relieve pressure off this entire offense down there. Maybe someone who could also help stretch the field.

Why I wish we would have drafted Stephen Hill. Not sure exactly how good he's going to be, but add a little weight to him he fits that mold pretty well.

I agree but we also need to be more creative. Id rather throw quick slants in the end zone as opposed to jump ball to anybody not named Megatron/Julio/Larry/Andre
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Originally posted by 49ersHeroine:
I agrre with your post. I'm still pounding my head against the concrete wondering why the hell they drafted jenkins. We def should have got Stephen Hill. We trully need the big body and fast Moss/Owens/ Calvin Johnson type Wide out. No scrawny little receivers like jenkins who's short and can't get off the line even after the play is over. We have been desperate for the big game breaking WR since TO left.

Agree as well. I want a size speed guy at WR and I don't care when or how we get one. Cordarrelle Patterson would be an option. Before any of you jump on me about this guy being risky let me say this. Every college prospect is risky and if Cordarrelle is so risky then why is he projected to go in the first round? My guess is potential. Seen way too many post on this forum about this being to risky of a pick for the first round. So its only risky for the 49ers? I don't get it. Like AJ Jenkins wasn't risky? Patterson's may not have the college production that Jenkins had but Jenkins is living proof that college production isn't the be all end all for wide receivers at the next level either. At the very least Patterson is big enough to beat press coverage and be a nice red zone target and hopefully develop into well rounded WR. I don't want to see anymore fades to Crabtree!

I agree; Cordarrelle can't be any more of a risk than Jenkins. Jenkins had a very productive senior season and Stephen hill had 28 catches. But like we all new Hill of course has been the better WR thus far in the NFL
If he can get healthy by TC, he will be a big weapon for us out of the slot. I don't think we're going after Harvin, Welker, or Amendola because Manningham can be an able slot WR. If anything, we go after a 2nd tier bigger WR (not sure which ones are available) via FA or draft.
Originally posted by TX9R:
Haven't seen any injury report anywhere. Is Manningham playing tonight?

I CAN NOT WAIT FOR HIS RETURN. We compliments Kaepernick so well, Hope he can heal nicely from this injury along with Kyle Williams becuase they both were doing well when Kaep got handed over the keys to the kingdom...

Share 49ersWebzone