There are 184 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Alex Smith Discussion Thread

Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
That's why he has something like 5 come-back wins?

Yes, he's made plenty of mistakes, but what rookie doesn't? Luck's role is a lot different than RG3s. Luck came onto a sh*t team. RG3's team traded up for him. The Redskins last year with sh*t QBs were still a mediocre team. Luck was asked to come in and change the culture in Indianapolis after one horrible year. And he's done just that.

Back to Alex Smith

Russell Wilson: 12 turnovers

RG3: 6 turnovers

Luck: 23 turnovers

Luck is asked to do more than either of the other two. Thats a huge factor when looking just at interceptions. Its also why a lot of us are not overly impressed with Alex's lack of interceptions. Yes, it absolutely is great and helps put us in position to win. But if Alex was asked to do what the majority of other QBs are asked to do, you would see his turnovers rise substantially.
Originally posted by Furlow:
Does it make someone a "bad fan" to root for a player when they leave their favorite team? I'm struggling with this. It happened once before, but I was much younger. When Montana was cast off in favor of Steve Young, I was not happy. When the Chiefs played the 49ers in that Monday night game, I couldn't help but cheer for Montana. He transcended my love of the 49ers.

Now obviously Smith has not accomplished what Montana did, but he has captured my heart nonetheless. No need to go through all of the things he has endured, but to have the kind of heart and determination he has showed made it easy for an old(er) guy like me to cheer for him. I really want to see him succeed. As I think of the possible destinations for him, I wonder if I will cheer for that team, and for how long, and if that makes me less of a Niner fan.

In the end, I am and will always be a Niner fan. I got over the Montana thing, and I'll get over this too. But I invested so much into Smith (defending him for years and then being validated the last two) I can't let go as easy as some on this board are able to. Yeah yeah, I know, but I'm man enough to admit that I'm a fan of a player.

The difference being that Montana won us 4 rings, and therefore took a lot of good memories with him when he left for KC. Alex, on the other hand, really did nothing more than bring misery and divide a fanbase for the better part of his career. It was Harbaugh that came around and changed our mentality towards Alex Smith, by designing an offensive playbook he could grasp.
Originally posted by jreff22:
I love how I'm pinned a hater by a select few for pointing out some legitimate concerns regarding Keap, yep those same people come in here and s**t all over a kid who isn't even starting.

sorry but thats how it goes...
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
That's why he has something like 5 come-back wins?

Yes, he's made plenty of mistakes, but what rookie doesn't? Luck's role is a lot different than RG3s. Luck came onto a sh*t team. RG3's team traded up for him. The Redskins last year with sh*t QBs were still a mediocre team. Luck was asked to come in and change the culture in Indianapolis after one horrible year. And he's done just that.

Back to Alex Smith

Russell Wilson: 12 turnovers

RG3: 6 turnovers

Luck: 23 turnovers

Luck is asked to do more than either of the other two. Thats a huge factor when looking just at interceptions. Its also why a lot of us are not overly impressed with Alex's lack of interceptions. Yes, it absolutely is great and helps put us in position to win. But if Alex was asked to do what the majority of other QBs are asked to do, you would see his turnovers rise substantially.

Like what I said (and 80s clarified for me), Luck is asked to do a lot more with a lot less. And he has his team headed for the playoffs if they can keep it up. Going to the playoffs after the team declared they were rebuilding in the offseason. Rebuilding normally takes a lot more than one offseason.

Luck is credited with a lot of that success. In a sense, reminds me of an Eli Manning. Makes a lot of mistakes, but never lets those mistakes get the better of him, and he'll eventually come back and win many games for his team after making mistakes.

Luck's a winner. Just imagine him in a few years if they can surround him with some real talent. RG3 is already surrounded by talent on both sides of the ball. And most of his passes are short passes or screens (although he throws a damn nice long ball).
LOL, everyone talking about Kaep.

Anyway, I hope Alex goes to a good team and starts. I will be rooting for him and his new team, unless that team is a division rival or something.
Originally posted by HudsonValley:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Does it make someone a "bad fan" to root for a player when they leave their favorite team? I'm struggling with this. It happened once before, but I was much younger. When Montana was cast off in favor of Steve Young, I was not happy. When the Chiefs played the 49ers in that Monday night game, I couldn't help but cheer for Montana. He transcended my love of the 49ers.

Now obviously Smith has not accomplished what Montana did, but he has captured my heart nonetheless. No need to go through all of the things he has endured, but to have the kind of heart and determination he has showed made it easy for an old(er) guy like me to cheer for him. I really want to see him succeed. As I think of the possible destinations for him, I wonder if I will cheer for that team, and for how long, and if that makes me less of a Niner fan.

In the end, I am and will always be a Niner fan. I got over the Montana thing, and I'll get over this too. But I invested so much into Smith (defending him for years and then being validated the last two) I can't let go as easy as some on this board are able to. Yeah yeah, I know, but I'm man enough to admit that I'm a fan of a player.

The difference being that Montana won us 4 rings, and therefore took a lot of good memories with him when he left for KC. Alex, on the other hand, really did nothing more than bring misery and divide a fanbase for the better part of his career. It was Harbaugh that came around and changed our mentality towards Alex Smith, by designing an offensive playbook he could grasp.

BS. Alex can grasp any offensive playbook in the league. He's just overly conservative and won't force things like Tony Romo would do. Why do you think he's had so much success this year? Because, for the first time in his 8-year career he was in the same offense. Alex finally had continuity and was having a Pro Bowl season, even though getting to the Pro Bowl with Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees and Eli Manning in your conference will be hard, since those guys will get in even on bad years.
Alex Smith is the most resilient dude to ever play for the 49ers. He's been told that he can't play in the NFL by pretty much every sports critic out there. He's battled through boos, injuries, and countless other negative factors. He's stuck with this team through all of that... a 49er through and through. He came out in 2011 and proved that he's a quality NFL QB that can take a team deep into the playoffs. He came out again in 2012 to prove that 2011 wasn't a fluke to become statistically one of the best QBs in the league.

All of this only to be benched through no fault of his own for a younger, cheaper, and more physically talented replacement. I have no doubt that he will dutifully back-up Kapernick through the playoffs and hopefully get a much deserved super-bowl ring in February. He helped get us to where we are. I wish him the very best!

Hope he ends up with a team that sets him up for success. The Jets would be a great option IMO (solid OL, decent defense, and Santonio Holmes).
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
I love how I'm pinned a hater by a select few for pointing out some legitimate concerns regarding Keap, yep those same people come in here and s**t all over a kid who isn't even starting.

so a circle jerk for the new guy while s**tting on the old one?
Originally posted by steelman:
Mark Sanchez has a stronger arm than Alex Smith and was asked to push the ball down the field alot more than Alex Smith. This was reflected in his rating.
The problem with your arguments is that youre relying too heavily on quarter back ratings.
Quarter back ratings, especially in the case of Alex Smith is VERY misleading. It does not reflect the types of plays that are being executed. The offense from Alex's point of view is pretty vanilla.

Look at this way.. Chad Pennington has a better career QBR than Dan Marino, does that mean Chad is a better quarterback than Dan? Of course not.
I think the Alex Smith = Mark Sanchez comparison is very accurate. I think youll be able to determine the real Alex Smith when you watch him play for another team next year. That QBR of his will plummet faster than Facebook stock.

Sanchez's yards per attempt is also a lot lower than Smith's, so it's not like he's really pushing it down the field that much more. And I would never say that QBR is the end all be all, but I also don't think that a great QB is likely going to have a low QBR.
[ Edited by TinyHandsBigHeart on Dec 18, 2012 at 3:25 PM ]
Originally posted by TinyHandsBigHeart:
Originally posted by steelman:
Mark Sanchez has a stronger arm than Alex Smith and was asked to push the ball down the field alot more than Alex Smith. This was reflected in his rating.
The problem with your arguments is that youre relying too heavily on quarter back ratings.
Quarter back ratings, especially in the case of Alex Smith is VERY misleading. It does not reflect the types of plays that are being executed. The offense from Alex's point of view is pretty vanilla.

Look at this way.. Chad Pennington has a better career QBR than Dan Marino, does that mean Chad is a better quarterback than Dan? Of course not.
I think the Alex Smith = Mark Sanchez comparison is very accurate. I think youll be able to determine the real Alex Smith when you watch him play for another team next year. That QBR of his will plummet faster than Facebook stock.

Sanchez's yards per attempt is also a lot lower than Smith's, so it's not like he's really pushing it down the field that much more.

No, I think he does push it down the field more. He just sucks at it. Alex Smith doesn't do it as much, and even though he's not the greatest at it, he still has more successful at putting the ball down field than Sanchez does in twice the attempts.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

so a circle jerk for the new guy while s**tting on the old one?

Like I said, people play favorites. They don't care about Alex's past year and a half of success, they care about the fact that he came onto the worst team in the league and didn't get us a Super Bowl in his first two seasons.

Because of that, Kaepernick is the man, even in spite of all his flaws. He's perfect.

If Alex ever had 23 turnovers in a season, he would be roasted here no matter what else happened.
I just gave a timeout for people being too argumentative in this thread.
Originally posted by pigskin:
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by susweel:
None of those guys have excelled when the team around them has been bad.

Luck has

I dont think its a bad team around him

Well they were bad enough to draft Luck!

And got rid of a lot of dead weight after that season. Just because a team is bad/good the previous year doesn't mean that they will be bad/good the next. Luck isn't the only thing different from the previous team.

Luck isnt the only thing different but he sure as hell is the only impact player added to the Colts in the offseason. They lost a lot more talent than they brought in.

They got rid of old talent and brought in younger talent. Just because talent is younger doesn't mean it's a downgrade. They also made changes in the coaching staff and we know how much a coaching change can impact the team.

The entire league knows Luck is a star.

He excels.

True but that wasn't my argument......
Originally posted by pigskin:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by susweel:
None of those guys have excelled when the team around them has been bad.

Luck has

I dont think its a bad team around him

Well they were bad enough to draft Luck!

And got rid of a lot of dead weight after that season. Just because a team is bad/good the previous year doesn't mean that they will be bad/good the next. Luck isn't the only thing different from the previous team.

Luck isnt the only thing different but he sure as hell is the only impact player added to the Colts in the offseason. They lost a lot more talent than they brought in.

They got rid of old talent and brought in younger talent. Just because talent is younger doesn't mean it's a downgrade. They also made changes in the coaching staff and we know how much a coaching change can impact the team.

The entire league knows Luck is a star.

He excels.

True but that wasn't my argument......

And has nothing to do with Alex Smith, IMO.

Which brings me to this point..... ALEX SMITH. Not Luck, not Brees, not any other rookie QB's out there, Alex Smith.