There are 195 users in the forums

Alex Smith Discussion Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Alex Smith has been a consumate professional for the 49ers, I wish him the best, and hope he goes to some team in the AFC.

I seem to recall Steve Young having the team at 2-1 in 1999 and believe in all likelyhood he would have taken the 49ers to the playoffs that year were it not for him suffering a concussion (which ended his career) because of a missed block by Lawrence Phillips. That 1999 49er team had been gutted because they were over the cap and the team was a shell of its former self, but because they had a HOF QB they still could have gone to the playoffs, Young was just that good. Which lends credence to the idea that a crappy team could still have a good record if they have a great QB. That year we ended up 4-12 with Young missing 12.5 games, I believe had Young not suffered that concussion and been there for the entire season, we would have had a better record and made it to the playoffs as a wild card team. Every situation is unique, but this is one where the quality of the QB would have won out over the quality of the team, of course we probably would not have made it to the SB, or even the NFCCG, but the point still stands.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Minnesota maybe? With AP there, he'd do ok.

That could be a fit. Ponder could be the backup.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by jreff22:
No, I'm replying to a post about wins being used as an argument of being good or not. Now if he would have used other more specific metrics, I just may have agreed with him.

Alex is a damn solid QB. He is a winning QB. He is not a top 10 QB. If he was, then he would be desirable across the league. There's must be more involved AROUND Alex Smith for him to be successful.

He just doesn't make players around him better. Further, he requires the players around him to play near mistake free ball for Alex to succeed.
We dont know how a lot of QB's would be without great supporting casts and coaching....Young comes to mind and even Keap. Its rare to see a QB do wonders with little help. With bad coaching and a bad supporting cast Alex played like crap, with great coaching and help he did much better.

Yup that pretty much sums it up. Let's be real. If Rodgers was put into Alex Smith's situation I highly doubt he fares much better than Smith has. If Rogers goes to SF in 2005 and Smith goes to Greenbay, their level of play would probably be reversed or close to it. They came out of the draft with virtually the same skill set. In fact, Smith was thought to be a better athlete and runner.

Of course this is speculative on my part, but it is VERY hard to make the argument that Rodgers would have been playing at a high level if he was our pick in 2005. I don't see any quarterback playing well being put into such a s**tty situation.

Okay, now put Rodgers on THIS 49ers team. Do you think Kaep starts over him? No. This is why Rodgers, although he may not have been successful in terms of wins on the 2005 49ers team, he would have fared better than Smith.

how would rogers have fared with a ripped up right shoulder?
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Minnesota maybe? With AP there, he'd do ok.

I think Alex needs to follow Norv or Andy Reid. Wherever Norv goes, he'll be the long-term offensive coordinator there. If not him, then figure out where Reid is going. If he gets put in a system with a strong offensive mind, he'll do just fine, the worst case scenario is for him to wind up with a team like the Jets that is f**king clueless about quarterbacks.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by jreff22:
No, I'm replying to a post about wins being used as an argument of being good or not. Now if he would have used other more specific metrics, I just may have agreed with him.

Alex is a damn solid QB. He is a winning QB. He is not a top 10 QB. If he was, then he would be desirable across the league. There's must be more involved AROUND Alex Smith for him to be successful.

He just doesn't make players around him better. Further, he requires the players around him to play near mistake free ball for Alex to succeed.
We dont know how a lot of QB's would be without great supporting casts and coaching....Young comes to mind and even Keap. Its rare to see a QB do wonders with little help. With bad coaching and a bad supporting cast Alex played like crap, with great coaching and help he did much better.

Yup that pretty much sums it up. Let's be real. If Rodgers was put into Alex Smith's situation I highly doubt he fares much better than Smith has. If Rogers goes to SF in 2005 and Smith goes to Greenbay, their level of play would probably be reversed or close to it. They came out of the draft with virtually the same skill set. In fact, Smith was thought to be a better athlete and runner.

Of course this is speculative on my part, but it is VERY hard to make the argument that Rodgers would have been playing at a high level if he was our pick in 2005. I don't see any quarterback playing well being put into such a s**tty situation.

Okay, now put Rodgers on THIS 49ers team. Do you think Kaep starts over him? No. This is why Rodgers, although he may not have been successful in terms of wins on the 2005 49ers team, he would have fared better than Smith.

how would rogers have fared with a ripped up right shoulder?

In the alternate universe where we drafted Rodgers, I'm pretty sure when Nolan asked Rodgers to "play through" a separated shoulder, Rodgers told him to F off, got the treatment he needed and left town before we did any more damage to him. I think Rodgers is much more independent but not nearly as tough as Alex. He's extremely sensitive to criticism, as even Greg Jennings has said. Just can't picture him putting up with half the crap we put Alex through. He'd probably try to go to another NFC West team and make it his mission in life to destroy us.
[ Edited by vaden on Dec 19, 2012 at 1:19 AM ]
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
it happened to the AS doubters..so now it just flipped a 180..

but i do notice when AS was benched ..i haven't seen those guys post at all..i wonder if they like the 9ers still ?

Oh yeah... still love my Niners. Been a busy holiday stretch, and quite frankly, these old and circular arguments are far lower on the list of priorities.
Originally posted by Furlow:
What about Miami, think they would offer a contract again? They have a solid defense, some good weapons on offense. If they had efficient, smart QB play, they could be dangerous.

Personally, I'd like to see him in Arizona with Larry Fitzgerald. They have a solid defense, a good stable of running backs, and very good WR's. If they could shore up the line he could have success there.

Wait, did I just pump up a division rival?

I think Miami should stick with Tannehill. He at times has looked pretty good and they should build around him. I'd like to see Alex go to Minnesota. If the Vikings can get some WR weapons other than Harvin, Alex would do quite well with Peterson and Co. I liked Ponder in the draft, and still like him, but he has not been very good. Many Vikes fans want to bring in a veteran QB to stopgap or replace Ponder... and Alex would be a good fit.

Would be fun to see him with Fitzgerald, but that OL is dreadful, and I wouldn't be able to support Alex as much if he was a division rival.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
it happened to the AS doubters..so now it just flipped a 180..

but i do notice when AS was benched ..i haven't seen those guys post at all..i wonder if they like the 9ers still ?

Another incite-ful message from you? Not surprising that it is also inaccurate. Just enjoy the team and try not to make it about your fellow fans.
  • dmax
  • Veteran
I wish alex the best ..he has a bright future ahead of him...Just sucks what happened throughout his career here
Originally posted by dmax:
I wish alex the best ..he has a bright future ahead of him...Just sucks what happened throughout his career here

Same here.. and yes it does. At least he was well paid for the abuse. I'd take 50 million to go through that for 8 years.

Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

Same here.. and yes it does. At least he was well paid for the abuse. I'd take 50 million to go through that for 8 years.

$$ doesn't heal all wounds but it helps!
99% the CK to AS QB switch mid-season is a York/Baalke Money move and NOT a Harb decision.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

I like your perspective on this Mcgibblets. That's what I was trying to tell you guys at the height of the outrage. Smith is living large with a hot wife too!
  • dmax
  • Veteran
I want to see alex go to my top 4

SD
KC
ARI
JAX
Who cares about Alex. Let's get down to the real people this benching hurt. I feel bad for anyone who bought an Alex Smith jersey at any point this year. Alex or Jim need to pay those people their lost money.
Share 49ersWebzone