There are 246 users in the forums

Has the 2012 team played its best football yet?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Has the 2012 team played its best football yet?

Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Rams...Rams...Rams....

Get over it, the Rams play the division very tough just like we did back when we were still getting our act together. Get over it, they arent as bad as people think and they are actually very good against divisional opponents. Tired of hearing how we suck because of the Rams games.
its easy to say the other team is good when they tie you at home and beat you the second time around. that is just a coverup for saying we are not an elite team because we do not take care of bottom tier teams like the pats and hawks do. in other words,, denial. we did suck in the rams games and if we lose the division it is our own fault for not taking care of those games when we clearly had the chance to

"Great teams aren't always great. They are just great when they have to be".

I think you need to redefine what "elite" is.

Is your issue that they lost to the Rams? I think you need to get over that. It happens. The Rams are a tough matchup for the Niners because defensively they are built alot like the Giants.

So what is "Elite"? The teams that beats its opponents by the most points? The 49ers are +132 points for the season second ONLY to the Patriots with an insane 198 pts. They are +132 when they haven't played their best football. Their SMALLEST margin of victory this year is 7 pts and most have been by 10 or more.

Before the season started there was a supposed murderers row of teams that was going to force them to have a much toughter season. Packers, Lions, Giants, Bears, Saints, and Pats. So far they are 4-1 against those teams. Yes, theleague shifts and different teams become powers...but you have to get some perspective on all of this.
Originally posted by TinyHandsBigHeart:
Originally posted by KegBert:
You really callin it quits on a second year QB after only 4 starts? Seems just a bit rash to me.

I wouldn't say that. I just don't think he'll ever play better than he did against the Bears.

!?!

Why? Young QBs don't improve? LOL.
If the offense and special teams plays like this we are big time toast in the playoffs. The only good thing on this team is defense.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
!?!

Why? Young QBs don't improve? LOL.

Because his game against the Bears had more to do with Bears defense being caught off guard by a QB that they had no tape on. It's why his other games have been so mediocre in comparison. It's not likely that he'll catch a defense that flat footed again.
[ Edited by TinyHandsBigHeart on Dec 12, 2012 at 4:25 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i state my opinion about the quality of our play just like the poster asked and predictably i get attacked by the webzone wolves. the question was are we playing our best of the year? the answer is no. we played our best vs the bears and since that time our offense has went right down the tube, the penalties and s**t pass protection continue and now we have clock management issues causing us to waste time outs,, so no we are not playing at the level of the next two teams we face. since many have taken issue with my term "elite", i will rephrase. we are not playing at a high level four quarter consistent type of football that one wants and hopes for at the end of the year. the next two teams are as is proved by thier recent success. we know what the pats did to the texans. ok you can make a case that the cards are really bad but you know what,, seattle took care of them and never gave them a chance to think they could win, unlike our stumbling and bumbling in the first half vs the dolphins.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
If the offense and special teams plays like this we are big time toast in the playoffs. The only good thing on this team is defense.
you are preaching to the choir brother. some do not understand that if we come out flat and if we come out and make our usual assortment of mistakes and penalties vs the pats and hawks at thier place,, we are not going to be down 3-0 or 3-2. jesus people. i actually could make the case we could lose the next two and then in a pattern we have seen in the last two home games, bumble and stumble around and lose a close one to the cards sealing our doom. of course to some i am just creating drama but based upon the way we have played in the last two games, it is a real possibility. despite what some think, i would take no pleasure in being right if it unfolds like i just spelled it out
you are preaching to the choir brother. some do not understand that if we come out flat and if we come out and make our usual assortment of mistakes and penalties vs the pats and hawks at thier place,, we are not going to be down 3-0 or 3-2. jesus people. i actually could make the case we could lose the next two and then in a pattern we have seen in the last two home games, bumble and stumble around and lose a close one to the cards sealing our doom. of course to some i am just creating drama but based upon the way we have played in the last two games, it is a real possibility. despite what some think, i would take no pleasure in being right if it unfolds like i just spelled it out

This doesn't seem like a Super Bowl run type team to me. I don't see teams with this many penalties that are contendors. All of them are more explosive. Almost all can cover kicks better than we can. Certainly they can hit FG's better than us.
i really hope we haven't
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

This doesn't seem like a Super Bowl run type team to me. I don't see teams with this many penalties that are contendors. All of them are more explosive. Almost all can cover kicks better than we can. Certainly they can hit FG's better than us.
the rams are a above average team and they took advantage of our penalties to win the game, the dolphins are well below average and could not really take full advantage of our penalities. what in the hell do you think is going to happen when we give the pats a second and a third chance with a defensive penality. you think they will not turn it into six? if we make multiple mistakes that is multiple touchdowns for them, even against our good defense. it is not that hard to figure out people . i agree, we are a pretender and the sad thing is that it never never had to happen this way. and you got teams who are making a run like the giants, skins, packers, hawks, pats playing thier best ball right now. what is on our recent resume,, a total f**king embarrasment to the rams and a terrible effort , esp in the first half vs the lowly dolphins.
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
Are longest winning streak was 2 games. Ideally id like to have a 7 game win streak. I think Alex was just hitting his stride when we pulled him. He was almost perfect against the cardinals and threw a blurry eyed TD before he was benched. CK hasn't played bad and Moss and Delanie both dropped TDs on him but he holds the ball way too long hence 7 sacks in 2 games. VD is a non factor lately and our offense is still down in the bottom 3rd in the league. Our defense isn't creating turnovers like it did last year, and James and Jenkins have been a non factor. We have a lot of sacks but only Aldon is the only player over 10. We play good football but I feel like the Pats will expose us like they did the Texans who have offensive firepower. Oh plus Gronk may play. However if we do flip the switch we can be unstoppable.

Once this offense starts rolling, look out now.
Yes CC we're all wolves, blame the wolves...never mind that you run madly through every thread all day and night wearing milk bone underwear. I challenge you to read your last 20 posts and tell me you do not sound like a guy who wants us all to give up and root for another team. In every post our team sucks,our coaches suck...we should all just quit and be Pats fans, hell everyone here is either a jerk or idiot for not seeing it as clearly as you.
Going to need to play their best football Sunday night.

the rams are a above average team and they took advantage of our penalties to win the game, the dolphins are well below average and could not really take full advantage of our penalities. what in the hell do you think is going to happen when we give the pats a second and a third chance with a defensive penality. you think they will not turn it into six? if we make multiple mistakes that is multiple touchdowns for them, even against our good defense. it is not that hard to figure out people . i agree, we are a pretender and the sad thing is that it never never had to happen this way. and you got teams who are making a run like the giants, skins, packers, hawks, pats playing thier best ball right now. what is on our recent resume,, a total f**king embarrasment to the rams and a terrible effort , esp in the first half vs the lowly dolphins.

So we put you two down for a yes. Check.
Originally posted by nj9er:
Are longest winning streak was 2 games. Ideally id like to have a 7 game win streak. I think Alex was just hitting his stride when we pulled him. He was almost perfect against the cardinals and threw a blurry eyed TD before he was benched. CK hasn't played bad and Moss and Delanie both dropped TDs on him but he holds the ball way too long hence 7 sacks in 2 games. VD is a non factor lately and our offense is still down in the bottom 3rd in the league. Our defense isn't creating turnovers like it did last year, and James and Jenkins have been a non factor. We have a lot of sacks but only Aldon is the only player over 10. We play good football but I feel like the Pats will expose us like they did the Texans who have offensive firepower. Oh plus Gronk may play. However if we do flip the switch we can be unstoppable.

Hitting his stride? It's almost like the Giants and Sehawks games never happened. Alex's last 3 starts (including the Zona game) were probably his worst stretch since Harbaugh, yet you and others call that "hitting his stride".

I agree with everything else you said, though.
Share 49ersWebzone