LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 298 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS GAMEDAY THREAD (Week 15)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
CK will have a big game on SNF.

The stars shine brightest under the lights.
Originally posted by taney71:
Yeah, I almost forgot he was on our team.

Originally posted by NorthEasterner:
My bad, he's still green as a starter.

Running on the Niners is hard, but doing anything on the Niners D is hard. It's not impossible, though, the Giants managed it, and the Patriots just put up yards on one of the two rushing defenses ranked above yours. While it's true the Pats haven't faced a defense as good as SF's, it's also true SF hasn't played an offense as good as New England's. It's somewhat pick your poison, but I'm more afraid of Aldon Smith than I am of the run defense.

The Patriots are good at both running and passing, good at defending the run, and bad at defending the pass. The Niners are good at defending the run and the pass, good at running, and bad at passing. Strength vs strength and weakness vs weakness.

I think Green Bay's offense is better than the Patriots. You will probably see a similar game plan as that, with our nickel defense seeing the most snaps.
is gronkowski going to play?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by Mankster:
I think the Patriots are in for a rude awakening!

The Cards beat 'em, the Hawks beat 'em. Is it really necessary to remind ourselves that our gang has a stronger defense AND more dynamic offense then either of those?

Why the panic?
  • Because they whipped the Texans? Let me tell you, the Texans have been skating on thin ice for over a month now and it just broke on them last night. No shock.
  • Cause they managed to win a shootout with the mighty Bills? Oooo.
  • Cause they squeaked out an OT win over the Jets? wow...
  • Cause they beat the Fins by a TD. Now I'm really scared.

We on the other hand have been trying new things, bringing top draft picks up to speed, and preparing for the home stretch.

Final score: Niners 31, Patsies 13

explain the more dynamic offense please--im not getting that
when was the last time we saw this? are they saving it for sunday? if so they are stupid and arrogant cuz thier playing calling as of late cost us the rams and damn near cost us the dophins. where is this high powered offense we are supposed to have with the switch... now that is not a swipe at ck,, it is direct swipe at roman and jh.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:

the smith boys certainly do
Originally posted by cciowa:

Back to back Nationally Televised, Super-Important Games! C'mon!

GO NINERS!!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Its gonna be a close game our boys will show up.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

I hope you are right, the alternative aka in laying an egg twice on national tv in front of the niner hater collinsworth is something that i do not like to think about
need to work the outside runs and misdirection. gotta try and wear out big boy wilfork they got good speed at LB, but our guards are pretty nimble.
One thing I've noticed, the Houston Texans' D, while very good, is not on the same level as the 49ers D. I say that in the most "non-homer" way I can. Yes, our run D isn't as good as last year, but it's still top10 in that category. However, our pass D is ridiculous. Cully is coming along nice (I'm still laughing at the "experts" calling him a reach in the 3rd round.. more like a steal so far). We're not getting as many turnovers as last year, but even with less turnovers we're allowing about the same amount of points and less yards per game. That's outstanding.

Since Harbaugh took over, only one team has scored more than 30 points on this D, and that was the Saints last year in the playoffs. The Texans' D got punked both by Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady this year. We held the Aaron Rodgers' led offense to a measly 15 points, while the Texans gave up 42 points to the Packers and 42 to the Patroits last week. Also notable about the Texans D is the fact that they gave up 37 to the Jaguars and 31 to the Lions this season. So, in less than one year they have given up 30+ points in four games. The 49ers have given up 30+ points only once in 31 games.

That being said, I feel we can hold the Patriots dynamic office to less than 30. What scares me is that they have a better running game this year as well, which they really haven't had in years past. Our Front 7 will have to ball out like they normally do, and our safeties have to stay home. Brady runs some really good play action fakes. Whitner and Goldson cannot be beat deep, because it's not very often Brady misses his mark.

I feel the Patriots have the advantage in this one, but no way does that mean I don't feel comfortable going into the game. Roman needs to take some shots down the field and more importantly, Kaepernick needs to take those shots and capitilize. We need a Kaep vrs. Bears perfomance to win this game, not a vs. Saints, vs. Rams or vs. Dolphins performance. I believe our ground game can wear the Pats D down.

In the end, as they always say, you win 100% of the time when you score more points than the opposition. Go Niners!
[ Edited by ElDannMann on Dec 11, 2012 at 11:03 AM ]

Originally posted by hofer36:
explain the more dynamic offense please--im not getting that

I was referring to the Cards and Hawks...not the Patriots.

Our offense is more dynamic then the Cards (no explanation should be needed)
...and here is how the Niners compare to the Hawks on paper. (per NFL.com)

Off Niners Hawks
Pts 13th 15th
Yds 12th 21st
Pass 26th 29th
Rush 2nd 4th

Def Niners Hawks
Pts 1st 2nd
Yds 2nd 3rd
Pass 2nd 4th
Rush 2nd 10th
[ Edited by Mankster on Dec 11, 2012 at 11:11 AM ]
you guys got wilfork and we got woods in the draft when new posters from other teams come on board i like to go old school with them and test them. does sam cunningham mean anything to you?

SamBam! Before my time (the first Pats season I really remember is the 2-14 1992 campaign, which preceded the drafting of Bledsoe and the turning of NE into a respectable franchise) but he was inducted into the Pats HOF in 2010. Good though not all-time great player, loyal servant, never even won a playoff game. Probably more memorable to USC fans than Pats fans, I'd imagine.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
One thing I've noticed, the Houston Texans' D, while very good, is not on the same level as the 49ers D. I say that in the most "non-homer" way I can. Yes, our run D isn't as good as last year, but it's still top10 in that category. However, our pass D is ridiculous. Cully is coming along nice (I'm still laughing at the "experts" calling him a reach in the 3rd round.. more like a steal so far). We're not getting as many turnovers as last year, but even with less turnovers we're allowing about the same amount of points and less yards per game. That's outstanding.

Since Harbaugh took over, only one team has scored more than 30 points on this D, and that was the Saints last year in the playoffs. The Texans' D got punked both by Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady this year. We held the Aaron Rodgers' led offense to a measly 15 points, while the Texans gave up 42 points to the Packers and 42 to the Patroits last week. Also notable about the Texans D is the fact that they gave up 37 to the Jaguars and 31 to the Lions this season. So, in less than one year they have given up 30+ points in four games. The 49ers have given up 30+ points only once in 31 games.

That being said, I feel we can hold the Patriots dynamic office to less than 30. What scares me is that they have a better running game this year as well, which they really haven't had in years past. Our Front 7 will have to ball out like they normally do, and our safeties have to stay home. Brady runs some really good play action fakes. Whitner and Goldson cannot be beat deep, because it's not very often Brady misses his mark.

I feel the Patriots have the advantage in this one, but no way does that mean I don't feel comfortable going into the game. Roman needs to take some shots down the field and more importantly, Kaepernick needs to take those shots and capitilize. We need a Kaep vrs. Bears perfomance to win this game, not a vs. Saints, vs. Rams or vs. Dolphins performance. I believe our ground game can wear the Pats D down.

In the end, as they always say, you win 100% of the time when you score more points than the opposition. Go Niners!

IMO our defense has improved a great deal, we have improved in almost all categories and we have played stronger offensive opponents.

I've got a serious boner for this Sundays game. I'm starting Kaep and Crabtree and sitting Wes Welker. My opponent has Tom Brady. It's primetime, number two seed and division title at risk and I'm not working!

Can't wait
[ Edited by Chief on Dec 11, 2012 at 11:16 AM ]
The Pats are playing at home where they very rarely lose, and they are playing their best football right now. The 49ers are nearly a touchdown underdog... Everyone is in awe of the Pats right now....

This is setting up nicely......
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

I hope you are right, the alternative aka in laying an egg twice on national tv in front of the niner hater collinsworth is something that i do not like to think about

can you imagine how many shots of Alex standing on the sideline they are gonna show.
Share 49ersWebzone