LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 262 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS GAMEDAY THREAD (Week 15)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NorthEasterner:
Fascinating game here, because the matchups are really strength vs strength. The Patriots' defense is a long way from being elite, but its biggest strength is stopping the run. Getting through Wilfork and Brandon Spikes is tough. Expect Belichick to try to take away Frank Gore, and make Kaepernick beat the Pats with his arm. There will likely be one-on-one matchups on the outside if the 49ers can capitalize on them.

When New England has the football, obviously the strength of the Niners is the pass rush. The Patriots weren't able to neutralize JJ Watt, just limit how much destruction he could wreak, and I expect with Aldon Smith it will be similar. Pats will come out running, mixed with pass plays designed to get the ball out of Brady's hands quickly.

Basically, I expect the Patriots offense to have to operate more conservatively than it is used to doing. This will keep the game close, and the question is if the rookie under center for SF can bring the kind of playmaking ability he's shown in flashes while limiting the mistakes. My guess would be that San Francisco moves the ball pretty well, but there's a crucial second-half turnover that makes the difference.

Pats by a touchdown imho. Hope it's a great contest!

Kaep is not a rookie. Good luck trying to run on the Niners.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Fascinating game here, because the matchups are really strength vs strength. The Patriots' defense is a long way from being elite, but its biggest strength is stopping the run. Getting through Wilfork and Brandon Spikes is tough. Expect Belichick to try to take away Frank Gore, and make Kaepernick beat the Pats with his arm. There will likely be one-on-one matchups on the outside if the 49ers can capitalize on them.

When New England has the football, obviously the strength of the Niners is the pass rush. The Patriots weren't able to neutralize JJ Watt, just limit how much destruction he could wreak, and I expect with Aldon Smith it will be similar. Pats will come out running, mixed with pass plays designed to get the ball out of Brady's hands quickly.

Basically, I expect the Patriots offense to have to operate more conservatively than it is used to doing. This will keep the game close, and the question is if the rookie under center for SF can bring the kind of playmaking ability he's shown in flashes while limiting the mistakes. My guess would be that San Francisco moves the ball pretty well, but there's a crucial second-half turnover that makes the difference.

Pats by a touchdown imho. Hope it's a great contest!

We aren't as punishing as we were last year vs. the run. But we are significantly better vs. the pass. But Brady is in a different class. We beat the Packers by keeping Rodgers on the bench. That has to be the same gameplan. And we have to get an INT or fumble or big play go our way.

Maybe finally we can connect on one of those deep passes to Moss. It would only be fitting.
Originally posted by taney71:
I'm scared. Pats look good.

Lol, Ken dorsey.
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
Why the panic?

• Cause we managed a tie and loss a to the Rams? Oooo.
  • Cause we barely beat a Miami team because of their mistake and meaningless run at the end? wow...
  • Cause Tom Brady and New England are averaging 40.5 points on offense in the last 7 games...You better be scared

My list is not meant to say the Pats shouldn't be respected, but to point out that they are not unbeatable. Too many of us are sounding like Chicken Little here. We have a solid (some might say great) team. The Niners have repeatedly risen to level of the competition they have faced this year and delivered convincing wins. The Rams games bug me too...but what do you do? As far as the Dolphins go, we did better against them then the Patriots. Dolphin mistakes were huge in their game. A botched punt, roughing-the-punter penalty and a fumble by Miami resulted in 17 New England points, and another penalty negated a Dolphins touchdown. We weren't THAT sloppy against them.

I "respect" the Patriots, but I am not "scared" of them.

• dj43
Originally posted by Wrathman:
Originally posted by Mankster:
I think the Patriots are in for a rude awakening!

The Cards beat 'em, the Hawks beat 'em. Is it really necessary to remind ourselves that our gang has a stronger defense AND more dynamic offense then either of those?

Why the panic?
  • Because they whipped the Texans? Let me tell you, the Texans have been skating on thin ice for over a month now and it just broke on them last night. No shock.
  • Cause they managed to win a shootout with the mighty Bills? Oooo.
  • Cause they squeaked out an OT win over the Jets? wow...
  • Cause they beat the Fins by a TD. Now I'm really scared.

We on the other hand have been trying new things, bringing top draft picks up to speed, and preparing for the home stretch.

Final score: Niners 31, Patsies 13

This, get in Brady's face! You can run on them and play action off of that. Go Niners!

Not unless CK can force them out of that 8 man front. The Pats were able to shut down Schaub and Andre Johnson so they could stay in the 8 man front. Do you think Kaepernick and Crabtree will have better success than Houston?
Originally posted by dj43:

The Cards beat 'em, the Hawks beat 'em. Is it really necessary to remind ourselves that our gang has a stronger defense AND more dynamic offense then either of those?

Why the panic?
  • Because they whipped the Texans? Let me tell you, the Texans have been skating on thin ice for over a month now and it just broke on them last night. No shock.

We on the other hand have been trying new things, bringing top draft picks up to speed, and preparing for the home stretch.

This, get in Brady's face! You can run on them and play action off of that. Go Niners!

Not unless CK can force them out of that 8 man front. The Pats were able to shut down Schaub and Andre Johnson so they could stay in the 8 man front. Do you think Kaepernick and Crabtree will have better success than Houston?

The only thing our offense can demonstrate is the QB running threat. Plus Vernon > Daniels, but overall Houston's offense is better than the Niners. If you watched that game last night, Houston got derailed to start the game because they had the INT in the endzone. That really set the tone for the rest of the game.

On defense, Houston was beat with the uptempo game. We need to be on point and get the signals in quick.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by taney71:
I'm scared. Pats look good.

Lol, Ken dorsey.

Yeah, I almost forgot he was on our team.
Old ass Willie McGinnest lol

My bad, he's still green as a starter.

Running on the Niners is hard, but doing anything on the Niners D is hard. It's not impossible, though, the Giants managed it, and the Patriots just put up yards on one of the two rushing defenses ranked above yours. While it's true the Pats haven't faced a defense as good as SF's, it's also true SF hasn't played an offense as good as New England's. It's somewhat pick your poison, but I'm more afraid of Aldon Smith than I am of the run defense.

The Patriots are good at both running and passing, good at defending the run, and bad at defending the pass. The Niners are good at defending the run and the pass, good at running, and bad at passing. Strength vs strength and weakness vs weakness.

Running on the Niners is hard, but doing anything on the Niners D is hard. It's not impossible, though, the Giants managed it, and the Patriots just put up yards on one of the two rushing defenses ranked above yours. While it's true the Pats haven't faced a defense as good as SF's, it's also true SF hasn't played an offense as good as New England's. It's somewhat pick your poison, but I'm more afraid of Aldon Smith than I am of the run defense.

The Patriots are good at both running and passing, good at defending the run, and bad at defending the pass. The Niners are good at defending the run and the pass, good at running, and bad at passing. Strength vs strength and weakness vs weakness.

That pretty much sums it up!
Welcome and good luck (but not that much luck)

• cciowa
  • Veteran

you guys got wilfork and we got woods in the draft when new posters from other teams come on board i like to go old school with them and test them. does sam cunningham mean anything to you?
  • dj43
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Why the panic?

The only thing our offense can demonstrate is the QB running threat. Plus Vernon > Daniels, but overall Houston's offense is better than the Niners. If you watched that game last night, Houston got derailed to start the game because they had the INT in the endzone. That really set the tone for the rest of the game.

On defense, Houston was beat with the uptempo game. We need to be on point and get the signals in quick.

I agree the INT was a crushing blow, however, good, experienced teams do over come such things. The problem was that NE just continued to take away the run game and that also took away the play action passing which is a staple of the Houston offense. As Gruden kept noting; "they made Houston play left-handed." Bellichick does that.

I also agree that the Houston offense is better than the 49ers. Foster is a stud - as productive as Gore in the run game and a better pass receiver, Johnson is better than any of our WRs, Davis is faster than Daniels but not as good at reading defenses and finding open space, and Schaub is certainly a more polished QB than CK.

New England was absolutely dominating last night. They just picked the Texans apart from the opening minute and continued with the assault until the final gun sounded. That is one scary team.

49ers will have to bring their A game to measure up against the Pats. I had counted this as a win. Now I'm not so sure. Not after what Brady did last night to a very good defense.
Originally posted by cciowa:
so we are supposed to be ok with losing and maybe not winning our division just so the team can learn?? good lord. what exactly are we learning? why do you just not go ahead and say ck is learning and get it out there? i like ck but i am not ok with losing just so he can learn

this

smh

These.

Why the panic?

explain the more dynamic offense please--im not getting that
Share 49ersWebzone