LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

Does Alex Smith have any Trade Value???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I can't see us getting a high pick. The Palmer trade is no comparison, the Raiders were playing OK in a week division and thought they had a shot at the playoffs, then they lost Campbell and panicked into a trade. KC and/or JAX will just draft a new QB each since they will almost certainly have the top 2 picks. It doesn't matter if the QB class is weak compared with this year, the aim is to generate some enthusiasm and sell tickets, and you're bound to do so with an exciting rook than with someone who's been up and down like Alex. Also, the feeling that his success is a product of Harbaugh's coaching and the improved line play of the last two seasons is widespread. You can also discount teams like Cleveland or Miami who have put their limited rookie QBs through the ringer already as starters. They're getting another season as starters unless they're injured. Neither can I see Oakland or Arizona trying another QB trade after the last one proved such a disaster.

It's really hard to see where Alex might get a start. If he were an FA this year he would get lots of interest as a backup, either mentor-type for a young QB or straight up in a place like Pittsburgh. If SD blow everything up, which they should, and Rivers leaves (which he should do) then perhaps Alex might be a decent interim solution for them while they bring up a rook. They're on course to have high pick anyway. It might make sense for them to offer a low pick to ensure that Alex doesn't hit the FA market then, although they can just take the chance and assume that he won't be offered (m)any other starting gigs.

My guess is that we just cut him the day before FA (or whenever the roster bonus is due to kick in).
[ Edited by paulk205 on Nov 27, 2012 at 2:57 AM ]
Originally posted by dj43:
Smith has played in enough systems, and against enough other teams, to have significant value.

Here are the teams that are well settled at QB based on actual play (not the amount of money they have committed):
Atlanta
New Orleans
New England
Denver
NY Giants
Houston
Green Bay
Washington
Indy
Pittsburgh
Chicago
Carolina (barely)

These are on the bubble:
Cincy
Tampa Bay
Baltimore
Detroit

All the rest would be glad to have Alex Smith as their starting QB. Question is: Would Alex be willing to go to any of the others? There are some very bad teams out there and they would be willing to give up a lot to have consistent QB play.

Oh my God...

You are seriously a parody of yourself at this point.

San Diego: Yeah, they're going to replace computer number monster Rivers with freak'n Alex Smith. Yeah, I'm sure that would happen.
Dallas: Jerry Jones is just chomping at the bit to replace Tony Romo with frickin Alex Smith to be the QB of America's team.
Baltimore: On the bubble with Joe Flacco. Surely Ozzie Newsome is drooling over ALEX SMITH.
Detroit: On the bubble thinking of replacing a guy who threw for 5,000 yards last year with...ALEX SMITH.

What's next, are the 49ers considering bring the great Derek Smith out of retirement to replace Patrick Willis? Remember, Derek Smith was epic and awesome, and Willis has a long way to go to be as good as Mr. Whiff, the weekly human truck victim.

If you were a GM, your team wouldn't win a single game in the NFL.

Also, I noticed no mention of the Dolphins, who have their young QB for the future and declined to pursue Alex this past off-season. Why would they change their mind now?

Alex Smith would have 2-3 potential suitors at the most.
[ Edited by MarshallfaulkYouIdio on Nov 27, 2012 at 3:24 AM ]
Originally posted by RonMexico:
I love alex(still want kaep to start) but I honestly cannot see him going anywhere and succeeding.

THIS ^ (exept the love part)
Originally posted by 16to87:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
I love alex(still want kaep to start) but I honestly cannot see him going anywhere and succeeding.

THIS ^ (exept the love part)

It's not like the niners play football any different than other teams. As long as the team isn't disfunctional like the 05-10 niners Smith will do just fine. Seriously, Alex Smith was a top draft pick and has tons of talent. I know you haters want to deny it and say it is all Harbaugh but the fact is Smith is a very good QB.
AS has zero trade value, even if CK starts the rest of this season, 1st loss for CK and CK looks bad, AS will be back in as the starter. Next season though if CK is name the starter in the off-season before the 4/1/14 AS pay day, AS will ask to be release or be release.
[ Edited by HOF49er on Nov 27, 2012 at 5:38 AM ]
Wow...pretty amazing the lengths some people will go to hate on a guy.

Clearly he has value to several teams, some as as starter some as a quality backup....there are a lot of Steeler and Eagles fans in my office right now that wish they had him on the roster as a backup and a shrewd GM that can afford him might conisder it on an injury prone team like those.

As a starter off the top of my head I could see Jacksonville, KC, the Jets, and Cleveland all at least kicking the tires and seeing what it would cost to bring him in a competition for a weak starter or just plain cleaning house and starting over with a guy like Alex while they groom a guy.

I know he is not the greatest ever to lace em up...but the level at which people devalue him at current because of how his career started is just rediculous. He might not succeed at some of those stops, because he needs talent and stability to do well...but to say we put him out there and dont get even a nibble...come on.
Originally posted by pahlerbj:
Originally posted by dj43:
1. Baalke will pay him at least what he is getting now to keep him as a back up until CK has thoroughly proven he is reliable against multiple opponents. Note: Bears. Steelers. Others.

2. Right now 20+ plus teams would pay Smith starting money to play for them, hence they are likely to give up a 2nd round pick to get him if he is signed.

I don't see Smith leaving except by trade.

really?
Yeah i don't think thats right, i could maybe see 5 to 7 teams who have question marks at qb.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by goodthings19:
Originally posted by vrabbit:
Originally posted by 49erfaithful49:
Alex Smith is better than

Romo
Rivers
Weeden
Palmer
Cassel
Ponder
Bradford
Sanchez
Fitzy
kolb/skelton
whoever Tennessee is starting
The eagles could use a QB

nicely put

Only one I disagree with is Rivers

Kind of feel Rivers is on the way down now.

Smith will start again in the NFL. I don't know which team for, but he will start.
I am on the fence with Rivers, he is contributing a great deal to the Chargers demise...but I can help but feel like if you get him the hell away from Norv, he might recover. Still a world class Ass though....Wouldnt want him on my team.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Looking at the FA QB market, assuming the Ravens re-sign Flacco and the Eagles cut Vick, Alex and Vick will be the only quality FA QBs available, and the QB draft class is weak.
Originally posted by vaden:
Looking at the FA QB market, assuming the Ravens re-sign Flacco and the Eagles cut Vick, Alex and Vick will be the only quality FA QBs available, and the QB draft class is weak.

Vick is still considered a quality NFL QB? I'd take Alex Smith any day of the week over Vick. The guy is injury prone, can't read defenses, lazy, etc. Vick is likely a career backup from now on.

Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
I am on the fence with Rivers, he is contributing a great deal to the Chargers demise...but I can help but feel like if you get him the hell away from Norv, he might recover. Still a world class Ass though....Wouldnt want him on my team.

Didn't we say that if Norv would have stayed with the niners that Alex Smith would be doing well?
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by vaden:

Vick is still considered a quality NFL QB? I'd take Alex Smith any day of the week over Vick. The guy is injury prone, can't read defenses, lazy, etc. Vick is likely a career backup from now on.

ITA, but just watch, he will be crowned by most of the "experts" as being superior to Alex. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he commands more interest and money than Alex.

Romo
Rivers
Weeden
Palmer
Cassel
Ponder
Bradford
Sanchez
Fitzy
kolb/skelton

There is no way the teams that the bolded are on would agree with you.
!!!

Originally posted by harbaugh49:
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Can't him trade for those, cuz I eated them.

buzz change the screen name back already

!!!

Lol.. Hey.. Wait for mins.. WTF?!.. I never have a new screen name back ever! I stay my screen name is same because my favorite screen name. Got it?! I let everyone remind of my screen name period. Dude
Originally posted by notsoempty86:

Romo
Rivers
Weeden
Palmer
Cassel
Ponder
Bradford
Sanchez
Fitzy
kolb/skelton

There is no way the teams that the bolded are on would agree with you.

Of course there is a way. Rivers and Romo are very much overrated. I think you are going off of what they did four or five years ago.
Share 49ersWebzone