LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

Does Alex Smith have any Trade Value???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
No he has no trade value because everyone knows he is owed an 8 million dollar roster bonus in April. If the 49ers cut him before that which is very likely he would be a free agent and able to sign any where.
Originally posted by MarkD:
No he has no trade value because everyone knows he is owed an 8 million dollar roster bonus in April. If the 49ers cut him before that which is very likely he would be a free agent and able to sign any where.

8 million dollars for a QB leading the league in passing percentage, 3rd in yards per pass, 3rd in QB rating, isn't high. I think he'd sing for more on the open market.
Originally posted by dj43:
1. Baalke will pay him at least what he is getting now to keep him as a back up until CK has thoroughly proven he is reliable against multiple opponents. Note: Bears. Steelers. Others.

2. Right now 20+ plus teams would pay Smith starting money to play for them, hence they are likely to give up a 2nd round pick to get him if he is signed.

I don't see Smith leaving except by trade.

You are freaking delusional. I guess its the same 20 that was trying to sign him this offseason. If you think Smith is anything more than a system QB your fooling yourself. 2 teams maybe and cause something already went wrong on their team.
  • Ruhl
  • Veteran
If we don't retain Alex, we'll be playing him twice a year. You can take that to the bank.
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by notsoempty86:
Originally posted by 49erfaithful49:
Alex Smith is better than

Romo
Rivers
Weeden
Palmer
Cassel
Ponder
Bradford
Sanchez
Fitzy
kolb/skelton
whoever Tennessee is starting
The eagles could use a QB

There is no way the teams that the bolded are on would agree with you.

Of course there is a way. Rivers and Romo are very much overrated. I think you are going off of what they did four or five years ago.

I dont think he's better than Ponder or Sanchez as well as the one in bold.

Romo
Rivers
Weeden
Palmer
Cassel
Ponder
Bradford
Sanchez
Fitzy
kolb/skelton
whoever Tennessee is starting
The eagles could use a QB

That's 13, not 20, and it doesn't matter who we think Smith is better than or not.

Romo, Rivers, Weeden, Bradford, Ponder, Locker, Vick/Foles, and Fitzpatrick are all either young or their teams are heavily invested in them financially. I just don't see it. We're basically talking Chiefs, Jets, Cardinals from that list.
Of course there is a way. Rivers and Romo are very much overrated. I think you are going off of what they did four or five years ago.

...but there's NO INDICATION whatsoever that the Cowboys or Chargers are even thinking about a QB change.
Originally posted by Ruhl:
If we don't retain Alex, we'll be playing him twice a year. You can take that to the bank.

I'm ok with this
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MarkD:

8 million dollars for a QB leading the league in passing percentage, 3rd in yards per pass, 3rd in QB rating, isn't high. I think he'd sing for more on the open market.
Right. I am saying teams are not going to trade for him at this point in the season because they know we would cut him before we have to pay that. That is assuming he is not starting. If he is not starting we would not pay him 8 mil to ride the bench.

Well he's not better than Bradford. He wouldnt take Russell Wilson spot in SEA. That leaves Ari. Do you think Alex has the arm to air it out to fitz constantly. That's why they started Skelton the big arm..... So I dont agree with this at all. I know it sounds like Im bashing Alex but really Im not. ive watched him for 7 -8 tears now and see what his plusses and minuses are. He's as good as the system he's in. Dont expect stellar performances just a QB that wont lose it for you if your system is good. Give him a top Def and the best running game and he wont mess up

Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:

...but there's NO INDICATION whatsoever that the Cowboys or Chargers are even thinking about a QB change.

Well, a lot of Cowboy fans are hoping and praying for a change of qb. Chargers fans, not. Rivers just probably doesn't have that much longer to go I an guessing.
The Jags would love to have Smith.
After seeing our defense against Brees and Rodgers who cares!
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Back the one-way ticket outta S.F. for Alex Smith up. This entire board is still one 2-3 INT game away from calling for Smith so give it some time to settle itself.

^^

That said, I don't think that Smith will get traded and even moreso if it becomes known league wide that he's going to hit FA.

Romo
Rivers
Weeden
Palmer
Cassel
Ponder
Bradford
Sanchez
Fitzy
kolb/skelton