There are 148 users in the forums

Does Alex Smith have any Trade Value???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by pahlerbj:
Originally posted by pahlerbj:
1. Baalke will pay him at least what he is getting now to keep him as a back up until CK has thoroughly proven he is reliable against multiple opponents. Note: Bears. Steelers. Others.

2. Right now 20+ plus teams would pay Smith starting money to play for them, hence they are likely to give up a 2nd round pick to get him if he is signed.

I don't see Smith leaving except by trade.

really?

Yes, really. There are a lot of teams out there that are struggling with their current QB. They would love to have a guy who can lead the league in percentage and be high on the yards/att. list, as well as reading defenses well.

you dont think teams realize that the system would have to be pretty good for alex to succeed. I would say 5 teams tops. thats just my opinion

Smith has played in enough systems, and against enough other teams, to have significant value.

Here are the teams that are well settled at QB based on actual play (not the amount of money they have committed):
Atlanta
New Orleans
New England
Denver
NY Giants
Houston
Green Bay
Washington
Indy
Pittsburgh
Chicago
Carolina (barely)

These are on the bubble:
Cincy
Tampa Bay
Baltimore
Detroit

All the rest would be glad to have Alex Smith as their starting QB. Question is: Would Alex be willing to go to any of the others? There are some very bad teams out there and they would be willing to give up a lot to have consistent QB play.

Actually those last 4 teams are also set at QB, too. Dalton, Freeman, Flacco, and Stafford are the guys for those teams now and in the near future.
Originally posted by 94605NiNer:
Fo rsome reason i can see alex in a JETS uni
With Greg Roman as the head coach.
Assuming things play out where Colin keeps the job.

I can see Alex in Philly. His ability to protect the ball will be welcomed after their offense has been a turnover machine.

Also keep an eye out for the Jets. Being from NYC I can tell you there are a lot of rumors about Norv Turner being their OC and them wanting a vet to push or unseat Sanchez.
One of the smarter moves, not the only smart move, would be to trade him to KC or another AFC team. Hopefully, a third rounder would be realistic and it would keep him out of the NFC and he'd not be able to help any of our competitors.

Ideally, KC would use him to groom and transition a first round QB pick, maybe even the #1 pick.

I'm a business person and I'd rather vene get a 4th rounder than get zero.
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
I am on the fence with Rivers, he is contributing a great deal to the Chargers demise...but I can help but feel like if you get him the hell away from Norv, he might recover. Still a world class Ass though....Wouldnt want him on my team.

Didn't we say that if Norv would have stayed with the niners that Alex Smith would be doing well?
As a Oc sure, lol norv as a head coach=Fail at everything
Yes, he has a cheap contract and has played well over the last year and a half.
Didn't we say that if Norv would have stayed with the niners that Alex Smith would be doing well?

Norv as an elite OC and a horrible head coach. Its pretty much as reliable a sports fact as there is anywhere.
Wow, what a goofy question. In a 32 team league where there are maybe 8 very good Qbs and 3 of those are super stars. I think that leaves about 20-24 teams desperate to have someone with alex's capability come join them to start. For the 49ers, I would love to see a ,smith/Kap Qb situation, with best guy starting. I don't think either qb would go for that. Maybe Kap. Alex is going to be VERY heavily in demand, and yes, he could bring a hi pick, perhaps even a first. Just look around the league at QBs who are pretenders at the job. Alex is miles better than 75% of all starting qbs. So heck, yeah, he DOES have a significant trade value. He is of no value to Denver, PATs, NYG, GB, Texans, ATL. But after that, he would be in the mix in most places.

Here's the rub. Most of the places that need Qbs....they also need good OLs, and good DLs. Alex placed in a group of guys who don't have a lot of talent, say, Raiders, Jax, Cleveland, etc...isn't going to make those teams any better. Philly might be a really good match, but there probably 20 others that would want a proven talented QB. He isn't going to help a team bereft of talent in OL, DL, CBs, WRs, DBs, etc. Alex fits in well in a team that has great OL, RBs, WRs, TEs, DL, LBs, CBs, and he can take that team deep into playoffs or into SB. Problem is , there are only a few teams out there that fit that category, and 9ers are one of them.

Think back to the heat our GM got when he picked staley, upoti, AD, ALL DONE....universally unpopular with many 9er fans. But now, we are seeing that building a team by building OL and DL has paid off. The really great thing is that once you have great lines, they are good for 4-5 yrs, and sometimes much longer. Alex was here for the lean yrs, and now with a real team around him, he is great...ok, very good. But take all that talent on OL and DL away, and alex will struggle. So of course alex has lots of places that would love him, but he has already done that....ie, start for a crappy team. And it wasn't to his liking. Actually, the fact he survived is incredible. So while there may be a lot of teams who want alex, there are very few HE would want....and that is why Philly, w/ a new HC, seems interesting.

So the question really should have been, "where are the places that truly need a starting QB, would alex really consider going to?". Because of that, I am curious to see if he actually chooses to stay here a yr, maybe two more. Having two starting qbs on a team, a SB team, is an incredible advantage. Just ask the steelers...and 3 or 4 others, who have either lost their starting qb or have a barking dog at Qb.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:

Norv as an elite OC and a horrible head coach. Its pretty much as reliable a sports fact as there is anywhere.

Ok. I agree.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Wow, what a goofy question. In a 32 team league where there are maybe 8 very good Qbs and 3 of those are super stars. I think that leaves about 20-24 teams desperate to have someone with alex's capability come join them to start. For the 49ers, I would love to see a ,smith/Kap Qb situation, with best guy starting. I don't think either qb would go for that. Maybe Kap. Alex is going to be VERY heavily in demand, and yes, he could bring a hi pick, perhaps even a first. Just look around the league at QBs who are pretenders at the job. Alex is miles better than 75% of all starting qbs. So heck, yeah, he DOES have a significant trade value. He is of no value to Denver, PATs, NYG, GB, Texans, ATL. But after that, he would be in the mix in most places.

Here's the rub. Most of the places that need Qbs....they also need good OLs, and good DLs. Alex placed in a group of guys who don't have a lot of talent, say, Raiders, Jax, Cleveland, etc...isn't going to make those teams any better. Philly might be a really good match, but there probably 20 others that would want a proven talented QB. He isn't going to help a team bereft of talent in OL, DL, CBs, WRs, DBs, etc. Alex fits in well in a team that has great OL, RBs, WRs, TEs, DL, LBs, CBs, and he can take that team deep into playoffs or into SB. Problem is , there are only a few teams out there that fit that category, and 9ers are one of them.

Think back to the heat our GM got when he picked staley, upoti, AD, ALL DONE....universally unpopular with many 9er fans. But now, we are seeing that building a team by building OL and DL has paid off. The really great thing is that once you have great lines, they are good for 4-5 yrs, and sometimes much longer. Alex was here for the lean yrs, and now with a real team around him, he is great...ok, very good. But take all that talent on OL and DL away, and alex will struggle. So of course alex has lots of places that would love him, but he has already done that....ie, start for a crappy team. And it wasn't to his liking. Actually, the fact he survived is incredible. So while there may be a lot of teams who want alex, there are very few HE would want....and that is why Philly, w/ a new HC, seems interesting.

So the question really should have been, "where are the places that truly need a starting QB, would alex really consider going to?". Because of that, I am curious to see if he actually chooses to stay here a yr, maybe two more. Having two starting qbs on a team, a SB team, is an incredible advantage. Just ask the steelers...and 3 or 4 others, who have either lost their starting qb or have a barking dog at Qb.

Pittsburgh seems very interesting as a backup.....

Roethlisberger a lock to miss a few games EVERY season due to injury, Todd Haley's offense designed to protect the QB.....good running game, good defense.....it's basically like Baltimore with the better opportunity to actually play.

What's better....to start a few games for a top team or be #1 for a second tier team?

The Chiefs could be a midwest SF if they stabilize the QB position.....

Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

Pittsburgh seems very interesting as a backup.....

Roethlisberger a lock to miss a few games EVERY season due to injury, Todd Haley's offense designed to protect the QB.....good running game, good defense.....it's basically like Baltimore with the better opportunity to actually play.

What's better....to start a few games for a top team or be #1 for a second tier team?

The Chiefs could be a midwest SF if they stabilize the QB position.....
If we trade him no choice. But either way I think he looks to start and should. Jags, Eagles, Jets, Chiefs, Ariziona would all be places who could use him as a starter next season. Also Hawks, pete just loves taking our former players. And if th eagles can get that much for kolb, than trent should be able to get something for alex may not be the first over all pick, but a second and future would make me happy.
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Nov 27, 2012 at 8:43 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erfaithful49:
Alex Smith is better than

Romo
Rivers
Weeden
Palmer
Cassel
Ponder
Bradford
Sanchez
Fitzy
kolb/skelton
whoever Tennessee is starting
The eagles could use a QB

This and we can close the thread. Maybe not Bradford potentially. Let's not just put him in a Raiders Jersey yet fellas I want him to retire a Niner
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mercuryspeed:

Romo
Rivers
Weeden
Palmer
Cassel
Ponder
Bradford
Sanchez
Fitzy
kolb/skelton

This and we can close the thread. Maybe not Bradford potentially. Let's not just put him in a Raiders Jersey yet fellas I want him to retire a Niner
i just do not think, I hope he does not want to be a back up on our team. how in the world can you go from a starter to a backup when the only thing you did was get hurt? if he does lose his job I really think and I hate to say this, but he really does need to go somewhere else after this season and start anew. of course if he does thata opens up another area for us in regards to a good backup to ck. plenty of time to digest that after the season is over. ck has done well but in my opinion still to many "what ifs" floating out there to make a logical decision on this
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:
Originally posted by notsoempty86:

Romo
Rivers
Weeden
Palmer
Cassel
Ponder
Bradford
Sanchez
Fitzy
kolb/skelton

There is no way the teams that the bolded are on would agree with you.

Of course there is a way. Rivers and Romo are very much overrated. I think you are going off of what they did four or five years ago.

I dont think he's better than Ponder or Sanchez as well as the one in bold.

Sanchez???? Have you seen him play this year. Need I remind you of the ass fumble?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/22/mark-sanchez-fumble-butt-jets-patriots-gif_n_2176493.html
[ Edited by HornedToad10 on Nov 27, 2012 at 9:18 AM ]
To bad Peter King isn't a GM, he just said he'd trade a 2nd for Alex!
Share 49ersWebzone