There are 191 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Does Alex Smith have any Trade Value???

Soooo.. Alex Smith has trade value as long as he has Jim Harbaugh's offensive coordinator is attached to his hip.

Makes perfect sense for Alex.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Soooo.. Alex Smith has trade value as long as he has Jim Harbaugh's offensive coordinator is attached to his hip.

nobody said that

The better move for Alex and the team is for Roman to take him because a trade can happen fast.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by BayArea:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Why would KC trade a 2nd round pick, let alone sign Smith, after the debacle of signing another QB who was a product of a system in Cassel?

Cassel is garbage, Alex is not

Cassel got exposed when he didn't have a great team and system around him. He was 11-5 with the Pats

If Roman goes with Alex he will be fine

Which is a scenario that won't happen.
and why not? just because you think he sucks doesn't mean the rest of the league does

I never said I think he sucks. I don't see how Roman and Alex end up on the same team somewhere else is what I was saying. The only realistic situation where that happens is if Roman goes to another team and influences them to bring Alex along since he is familiar with him.
christ

THAT"S THE POINT

Right and my point is the chances of that happening are slim.

not really

In all likely hood Alex will leave this team and go somewhere else before Roman does so it wouldn't be Roman leaving and Alex following. Let's say Alex ends the season as the backup QB. Now if we want to keep him his contract has us forking over 7mil. I can't see us paying out that cash for a backup.

Now if we don't win the superbowl I definitely see Roman staying here for another shot at getting one. If we do win the superbowl then maybe it is more likely he leaves for somewhere else but I still don't see it happening. Leaving success like that in a setup he is comfortable with for a desperate team. I just don't see it.

What I do see is Roman here next year and Alex somewhere else.
Lots of instances where coaches take players from their former team with them to the next gig, including qb. And if he goes to a team that needs good qb play, that already understands his system. It's an added bonus for lesser work involved.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 29, 2012 at 4:10 PM ]

nobody said that

The better move for Alex and the team is for Roman to take him because a trade can happen fast.

Better move for the team is for both Roman AND Alex to leave together!? ...are you serious Jreff or are you just having fun stirring the pot?
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by AZ9erfan520:
A trade isnt going to happen. The trade deadline already passed and if Alex Smith is still on our roster for the next trade deadline its because he is our starter.

What the heck are you talking about?

Smith is due a huge signing bonus if he is on our roster past April 1. He is a smart guy - he's not going to renegociate his current deal just so he can be traded when instead he can hit the market as a free agent and go to a team he thinks suits him well. If he is released, the 7 or so million that was going to go to keep him on the roster as a backup can now go to signing Goldson to a long term deal. Unless he is the starter, Alex Smith is not going to be a 49er next season and we are not going to be able to get any compensation for him. This years trade deadline was November 1.
In all likely hood Alex will leave this team and go somewhere else before Roman does so it wouldn't be Roman leaving and Alex following. Let's say Alex ends the season as the backup QB. Now if we want to keep him his contract has us forking over 7mil. I can't see us paying out that cash for a backup.

Now if we don't win the superbowl I definitely see Roman staying here for another shot at getting one. If we do win the superbowl then maybe it is more likely he leaves for somewhere else but I still don't see it happening. Leaving success like that in a setup he is comfortable with for a desperate team. I just don't see it.

Kinda open a can of worms there. If we don't win the SB is Kaep still the answer or Smith ....

OH LAWD!!!
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Lots of instances where coaches take players from there former team with them to the next gig, including qb. And if he goes to a team that needs good qb play, that already understands his system. It's an added bonus for lesser work involved.

Yes but how does this translate into a 2nd round pick?

A 2nd round pick is so valuable to teams cap situation bc they get paid less than $600,000 for 3 years...... Alex Smith is due $8, 500, 000 next year.

Kinda open a can of worms there. If we don't win the SB is Kaep still the answer or Smith ....

OH LAWD!!!

Not sure but I know we would have some hot debates on this forum....lol
Originally posted by AZ9erfan520:
Smith is due a huge signing bonus if he is on our roster past April 1. He is a smart guy - he's not going to renegociate his current deal just so he can be traded when instead he can hit the market as a free agent and go to a team he thinks suits him well. If he is released, the 7 or so million that was going to go to keep him on the roster as a backup can now go to signing Goldson to a long term deal. Unless he is the starter, Alex Smith is not going to be a 49er next season and we are not going to be able to get any compensation for him. This years trade deadline was November 1.

According to Florio they have three days at the beginning of the 2013 League Year in early March before a $1 million dollar roster bonus comes due and then the full $7.5 million salary becomes guaranteed on April 1. That is a small window but it is there.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/27/niners-have-big-decision-to-make-on-alex-smith/
Lots of instances where coaches take players from there former team with them to the next gig, including qb. And if he goes to a team that needs good qb play, that already understands his system. It's an added bonus for lesser work involved.

A 2nd round pick is so valuable to teams cap situation bc they get paid less than $600,000 for 3 years...... Alex Smith is due $8, 500, 000 next year.

That's why I said it doesn't make sense to pick up the 7mil option on Smith, then try to trade him. More likely Smith goes to FA.

Only other option would be another team prearranged with the Niners. Gives up a low rounder like a 4th or 5th. After Niners picked up the option on Smith, the other team assumed the Smith contract or reworked. Not sure who would be responsible for the 7 mil roster bonus though the former team or the receiving team....

In another words, the low round pick is to keep them from having to get Smith through free agency, not for the value of Smith's service.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 29, 2012 at 4:27 PM ]

That's why I said it doesn't make sense to pick up the 7mil option on Smith, then try to trade him. More likely Smith goes to FA.

Only other option would be another team prearranged with the Niners. Gives up a low rounder like a 4th or 5th. After Niners picked up the option on Smith, the other team assumed the Smith contract or reworked. Not sure who would be responsible for the 7 mil roster bonus though the former team or the receiving team....

In another words, the low round pick is to keep them from having to get Smith through free agency, not for the value of Smith's service.

Agreed. To be honest that 7 mil is more valuable than the trade value we would get with Smith. Can we get more than 7mil out of a trade?

We already have so many draft picks next year that probably none of them will make the roster so we don't need to trade for the draft.

nobody said that

Better move for the team is for both Roman AND Alex to leave together!? ...are you serious Jreff or are you just having fun stirring the pot?

Serious.

If Roman get s a job giving him Alex would be best for both teams

8.5 for a starter is CHEAP.
Jeez, what if kap is a flash in the pan, looks great against a weak D, then can't beat good teams, or worse, he flounders against a rematch wth the Giants? What if Kap on one of his patented dashes into the endzone, has his knee or ankle taken out. What if Kap drives for show but can't putt for dough? To summarize the above, all these scenarios assume that after 1.5 games, Kap is the wunderkind and can do no wrong, can beat any team out there. But what if that is wrong? Hey, I hope not, but what if? The injury part is definitely a concern , in that lots of times, Kap just takes off. In today's NFL, that is begging for an injury.

I'm not trying to be a spoil sport, but every post above assumes Kap is the Second Coming. What happens if he ain't? Alex will look awfully good with that 8 mil contract i would bet. The amount of enthusiastic hyperbole for Kap is great. Are all you kap fans sure he is the one? For me, I would like to see a bigger body of work than one and a half measly games. It sounds like I am not convinced yet. I want to be, but the kid had played 6 quarters, and our team's chances are all bet on that? Wow.
I prefer to not guess where alex goes, but wonder will he...or will Kap finish the season and go into playoffs as QB. Right now, I got no idea.