LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 299 users in the forums

Does Alex Smith have any Trade Value???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by zoos:
I'm pretty surprised that there are so many people that would like to have Alex as their qb. I've always been and still am an Alex fan but I truly believed that other nfl fans did not appreciate his talents; mainly, I thought they always saw him as just plain average or a bust no matter what he did...

Some of these tweets caught me off guard...

http://twitter.com/search/realtime?q=alex+smith+trade&src=typd

Many football fans (especially of those teams that are starving for decent QB play) do not look at Smith and think of the bad years. They see the recent years as more evidences of what he is capable of. Of the current pool of free agent QBs and a QB draft class that no one is going to be excited about, Smith is better than any available option at starting QB.
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Lots of instances where coaches take players from there former team with them to the next gig, including qb. And if he goes to a team that needs good qb play, that already understands his system. It's an added bonus for lesser work involved.

Yes but how does this translate into a 2nd round pick?

A 2nd round pick is so valuable to teams cap situation bc they get paid less than $600,000 for 3 years...... Alex Smith is due $8, 500, 000 next year.
8.5 for a starter is CHEAP.

This. When a guy like Flacco is demanding elite money (> $14 million/year), $8.5 million is dirt cheap for a QB with 70% completion rate.

No one expects to get 70% completion percentage from Smith anywhere but here with this team.

If someone thought otherwise, he would be getting elite money as well.

Why not? Smith did really well in college. After disappointing years, he managed to do it again. Bill Walsh used to say (paraphrased): "if the guy did it, he can do it again."

Smith won't get the elite money in the next job, but I don't think teams will wince paying him $8 million. The Dolphins were in doubt, yet their verbal number was already $8 million, and that was before the efficiency Smith showed this year.

I can totally see Smith get $8 million , or near that. I don't see someone giving him $8 million AND a 2nd round pick for a guy with that many"ifs". You can draft a 2nd round QB with "ifs" and only pay him $500,000 and make the team around him better with the free cap space.

Alex Smith is never going to have a completion percentage this high unless he joins a team with a dominant Oline and run game , and good defense and good receivers and a genius coaching staff. We have seen how mediocre Alex can be with any of those mentioned above is missing.

I'll bet the webzone on it.
I really hope he goes to an AFC team.
Originally posted by smithgdwg:

Just not Az or Seattle please.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by smithgdwg:

Just not Az or Seattle please.

Seattle told him to not even bother boarding the plane last off season
[ Edited by monsterzero789 on Nov 30, 2012 at 8:33 AM ]
Lol

11h Donna G ‏@SdOT_G
@GimmeDaSkrilla man n***a we need Alex Smith lmao trade that n***a Gabbert and let's go get Alex Smith lmao haha just playing

11h brandon stinson ‏@bstinson22
@VinceKmiec f**k wally pipp and if im alex smith im saying f**k harbaugh and demanding a trade

Lmao
I'm pretty surprised that there are so many people that would like to have Alex as their qb. I've always been and still am an Alex fan but I truly believed that other nfl fans did not appreciate his talents; mainly, I thought they always saw him as just plain average or a bust no matter what he did...

The most surprising tweets were from Steeler fans. Then again their seasons hopes are 100% resting on Charlie Batch. Yikes. The fans must not know about Alex needing time to learn the system.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran

Many football fans (especially of those teams that are starving for decent QB play) do not look at Smith and think of the bad years. They see the recent years as more evidences of what he is capable of. Of the current pool of free agent QBs and a QB draft class that no one is going to be excited about, Smith is better than any available option at starting QB.

This point hits the nail on the head. Honestly, watching Smith in the good year 1/2, I've never felt like a 3rd and 5 was above a 50/50 chance of a conversion. With Kap, you can tell defenses are stressing out. You can see the assignments shuffling in their eyes. With Smith (in spite of his speed) no defense really took his mobility as a true threat. That's why it worked in the NO game last year, but after Smith does that once, he's not doing it again. Smith is fast in a straight line; not very elusive.

Kap can do everything Smith has been doing but more. That's not a knock on Smith, Kap is just better and this move was coming sooner or later.

The good news, the 49ers will be able to trade Smith to a team that believes he's a starter instead of him wondering through free agency as a back up, like Brady Quinn.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

The most surprising tweets were from Steeler fans. Then again their seasons hopes are 100% resting on Charlie Batch. Yikes. The fans must not know about Alex needing time to learn the system.

Wow, a lot of those fans don't pay attention to league rules. The trade DEADLINE has passed. Just re-enforces my belief that Twitter is the destruction of rational thought.
Lol

11h Donna G ‏@SdOT_G
@GimmeDaSkrilla man n***a we need Alex Smith lmao trade that n***a Gabbert and let's go get Alex Smith lmao haha just playing

@VinceKmiec f**k wally pipp and if im alex smith im saying f**k harbaugh and demanding a trade

Lmao

Who dat?

• Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Lol

11h Donna G ‏@SdOT_G

Lmao

Who dat?

This makes me sad. Why does this exist??????? why?
  • dj43
I can totally see Smith get $8 million , or near that. I don't see someone giving him $8 million AND a 2nd round pick for a guy with that many"ifs". You can draft a 2nd round QB with "ifs" and only pay him $500,000 and make the team around him better with the free cap space.

Alex Smith is never going to have a completion percentage this high unless he joins a team with a dominant Oline and run game , and good defense and good receivers and a genius coaching staff. We have seen how mediocre Alex can be with any of those mentioned above is missing.

That is true of any QB. Just look at how Drew Brees has struggled when the OL could not protect him, or the run game was not working, or Payton was on suspension. QBs and receivers are of little value unless the OL is working...add in the run game which is also dependent on the OL.

Smith (Baalke) will have plenty of teams interested. The team that will offer the most will be one with a good OL and a solid WR core yet lacking quality QB play. Smith will likely be given the option to pick which team he will go to. He is a bright guy who now has 2+ years of quality performance with a winning team on his resume. The prior years are of no consequence. Everyone in the league could see what a mess the franchise was in and how little support he was given. This is a "what have you done for me lately" league, and lately Alex Smith has been pretty darn good. Now my hope is that he will bring a pretty darn good draft pick in exchange for moving to a team where he can start.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:

That is true of any QB. Just look at how Drew Brees has struggled when the OL could not protect him, or the run game was not working, or Payton was on suspension. QBs and receivers are of little value unless the OL is working...add in the run game which is also dependent on the OL.

Smith (Baalke) will have plenty of teams interested. The team that will offer the most will be one with a good OL and a solid WR core yet lacking quality QB play. Smith will likely be given the option to pick which team he will go to. He is a bright guy who now has 2+ years of quality performance with a winning team on his resume. The prior years are of no consequence. Everyone in the league could see what a mess the franchise was in and how little support he was given. This is a "what have you done for me lately" league, and lately Alex Smith has been pretty darn good. Now my hope is that he will bring a pretty darn good draft pick in exchange for moving to a team where he can start.

Well, I think some QB's can operate with far less than others. P.Manning, A.Rogers, and T.Brady come immediately to mind. Smith will need more support to be effective. I'd place him on the Matt Shaub level. Not too many QB's are in that group, mostly because of the necessary pieces that need to be in place before a Matt Shaub type QB can shine.
Originally posted by Geeked:
Well, I think some QB's can operate with far less than others. P.Manning, A.Rogers, and T.Brady come immediately to mind. Smith will need more support to be effective. I'd place him on the Matt Shaub level. Not too many QB's are in that group, mostly because of the necessary pieces that need to be in place before a Matt Shaub type QB can shine.

Tom Brady has a superb OL.
Originally posted by dj43:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/13/offensive-line-rankings-week-10-update/

Good website for offensive line ranking in the NFL this year.

Look at the correlation of poor offensive line play and teams most likely in market for Smith. With the exception of Luck and Ryan, most QBs in the bottom tier of offensive
Lines are losing.

If these teams whose Oline sucks, know Smith most likely won't succeed there, it is probably unlikely they trade away a 2nd.

On the other side if the spectrum, if a team with a dominant offensive line needs Smith, why would they give up a 2nd AND give him $8.5 million when it is Smith who NEEDS them more than they do. Smith and the Niners have very little leverage.
Share 49ersWebzone