There are 107 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Does Alex Smith have any Trade Value???

Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
My money is on him going to Oakland or KC.

Please not Oakland.
  • boast
  • Hall of Fame
my prediction? Philly with Gruden.
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by 49erLegacy:
I get that, but still he did not generate any interest in free agency last year.

Most of the league expected Smith to resign with the 49ers. It was well known and documented

Yeah, this year is completely different.

2012 offseason - NFL expects Smith to re-sign with SF, quality in the draft at QB position, most incumbent veteran QBs on solid footing
2013 offseason - NFL expects Smith to be available via trade/release, QB draft class weak, lots of struggling veteran QBs on teams that will change coaching staffs

good point, he shall hopefully fetch a hefty price
Originally posted by boast:

Philly or Jacksonville are my guesses. I don't think the Raiders are willing to give up on Palmer after giving up so much. I dont' see the 9ers agreeing to AZ. I don't think Alex will want to go to the Jets.

Gruden always liked Smith...probably more so now.
I really can't say whether Alex has any trade value. His accomplishments for the past year and a half has me saying maybe, but the perception of him being the "Game Manager" has me saying not at all.

I would think that Gruden would want to start fresh with a QB out of the college ranks, but Alex could be his short-term stabilizing solution.
Originally posted by 94605NiNer:
There's no way i can see Trent and Co paying Alex starter money as a back up.
He could very well be cut on or before 4/1/13 why would any team trade ffor him when they can get him as a free agent?

Exactly
Some people here take their dreams for reality
The niners have no leverage as they will most probably release him april the first. They will not pay him 8M€ on the bench
At best we can hope a tebow like trade to the jets : a 4th round to a team that doesn't want to take any risk loosing him to FA
but as we saw last year nobody was,pushing around to have an interview execpt Miami. And it didn't work out.
i hope he does, da mo picks da mo better
[ Edited by Allx9er on Nov 28, 2012 at 3:10 PM ]
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
My money is on him going to Oakland or KC.

Please not Oakland.

i don't see him fitting in oakland. KC like's... no LOVES going after the top tier teams's #2's.

Cassel
Grbac
Bono
Montana (**#2 on a technicality only**)
Philly or the Jets in a trade.

Arizona if he is released..
Originally posted by 49ersHeroine:
We will get a 2nd round pick for Alex

We will get NOTHING for Alex.

The nature of his contract dictates that he will most likely be released in early march. The 49ers will probably try to sign him for backup money, but another team will offer him something better and he will be playing on another team next year. If Shaw at Stanford or Roman get NFL HC gigs, they will be first in line to sign Alex while simultaneously drafting a "QB of the future".

Alex Smith has officially just become Steve DeBerg (You know, the guy before THE guy). DeBerg was the starter in SF before Montana and then again in Denver before Elway. Kaep has a LONG way to go before he's in the Montana/Elway class...just sayin' I think Alex is destined to be the guy until THE guy is ready.

Look for the 49ers to stick with Kaep, back him up with Tolzien, sign Josh Johnson again and draft a QB in the later rounds of the draft to compete with him.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Nov 28, 2012 at 3:34 PM ]
It be nices to get something ! But hes is going to get cut.Feels like a new era!
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Gruden always liked Smith...probably more so now.

Gruden also publicly stated that he never played (and never would play) a rookie QB. He'll look for a veteran QB.
Originally posted by JD9671:
It be nices to get something ! But hes is going to get cut.Feels like a new era!

this