There are 207 users in the forums

Does Alex Smith have any Trade Value???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erLegacy:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Alex was a free agent last year and basically generated zero interest from other teams. The teams with dire need for QB's will have high draft picks and can start developing a rookie, instead of paying big for a 8 year veteran.

Alex is only 28. He's in his prime.
I get that, but still he did not generate any interest in free agency last year.
Goldson got none when he hit the market.......
Originally posted by jreff22:
Alex was a free agent last year and basically generated zero interest from other teams. The teams with dire need for QB's will have high draft picks and can start developing a rookie, instead of paying big for a 8 year veteran.

I get that, but still he did not generate any interest in free agency last year.
Goldson got none when he hit the market.......
i thought he visited the Pats just couldn't work out the money side of it.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Geeked:
Personally, I think Alex Smith's ultimate trade value can't be measured in what we get but has to be weighed with the cap space free'ed up to re-sign some key players.

I just want to make sure Smith doesn't end up with the Cardinals. That's the only location where I think he could do damage with this team.

The Cardinals have a horrible offense caused by probably the worse offensive line in the NFL. No quarterback is going to succeed there until they fix that line.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:

he will this year and anyone who does not believe that hates alex anyway so there is no hope for them, in my opinion

Legacy, you ever heard of Flynn or FitzPatrick? No one new of these guys and they got nice contracts after winning a couple of games. Same thing is going to happen to Alex.
agree with my friend P.A. if alex does lose his job and it is apparant he is not starting next year i would still keep him for the rest of this year cuz then who would we have for a back up we can trust in a big game? now IF he gets to be a problem child, which i do not foresee, then you do whatever you need to do. I hope it will not come down to that, he has always been a class act. Of course we are in kind of uncharted waters

I think it'd be insane for the 49ers FO to trade any QB at this point. Smith also doesn't have any real reason to demand a trade this season either, because he might his job back in many ways (CK gets injured; CK gets exposed; CK fails to win a single playoff game; etc.)
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fastforward:
agree with my friend P.A. if alex does lose his job and it is apparant he is not starting next year i would still keep him for the rest of this year cuz then who would we have for a back up we can trust in a big game? now IF he gets to be a problem child, which i do not foresee, then you do whatever you need to do. I hope it will not come down to that, he has always been a class act. Of course we are in kind of uncharted waters

I think it'd be insane for the 49ers FO to trade any QB at this point. Smith also doesn't have any real reason to demand a trade this season either, because he might his job back in many ways (CK gets injured; CK gets exposed; CK fails to win a single playoff game; etc.)

The trade deadline has passed, this conversation is about trading him in the offseason.
Originally posted by DVDA:
The trade deadline has passed, this conversation is about trading him in the offseason.

True. I forgot that when I made the post. It'll be an interesting scenario if CK starts in the playoffs, and fails to win a single game. The 49ers may have to pay Smith the retaining bonus. But what will Smith's action be? How likely it will be for him to demand a trade if he sees opportunity with a viable team?
I don't think he has much trade value. 2nd rounder at the highest. Most coaches and GM's are smart enough to know that Alex will not be successful on their team. Most teams with Superbowl bound talent...don't really need a QB.

Game managers can be found in the 3rd round or later.
[ Edited by Joecool on Nov 28, 2012 at 12:07 PM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
I don't think he has much trade value. 2nd rounder at the highest. Most coaches and GM's are smart enough to know that Alex will not be successful on their team. Most teams with Superbowl bound talent...don't really need a QB.

Ummm. The Eagles need a QB (and a coach.) Talent-wise they are competitive.
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by Joecool:

Ummm. The Eagles need a QB (and a coach.) Talent-wise they are competitive.

Their OL is worse than ours was, but yeah, that is a super talented team and a 9th ranked run game. They would be the most ideal team for Alex.

Cardinals radio in AZ is going nuts about trying to pick up Alex Smith.
I think the only 2 teams that he could go to next season would be KC and PHI, As a mentor and starter for 2 years before the 1st round pick QB is ready.
Then we can bring back Josh Johnson.
  • da209
  • Veteran
When N. Turner gets canned and turner gets picked up as an OC if he and A. Smith will reconnect once again.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Cardinals radio in AZ is going nuts about trying to pick up Alex Smith.

Smith will have to take a pay cut for the Cardinals to firm up the OL!
Smith will start somewhere next season. Only chance it is in SF if is Kaep gets injured and Smith/SF win the SB.

Otherwise he'll demand a trade/release in the offseason. It's hard to speculate exactly where he'll end up because the number of coaching changes will change the landscape, but the 2013 QB draft class is pretty weak, so he'll go somewhere and start.
Share 49ersWebzone