LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 270 users in the forums

Does Alex Smith have any Trade Value???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dj43:
1. Baalke will pay him at least what he is getting now to keep him as a back up until CK has thoroughly proven he is reliable against multiple opponents. Note: Bears. Steelers. Others.

2. Right now 20+ plus teams would pay Smith starting money to play for them, hence they are likely to give up a 2nd round pick to get him if he is signed.

I don't see Smith leaving except by trade.

Really, then why didn't they do it when he was a free agent last year? You might get teams wanting him now when there are a lot of teams hurting because their QB is hurt like Pittsburgh or others, but come start of the off season, with FA and the draft, it is different. Also depends on who else is available. You also need to realize what is their game plan and does AS fit into their style of play. AS does not fit the packers, patriots or saints style. He would fit the Jets or any other team that has a strong running game and strong D. Like Pitt and the Ravens or even Texans, but these teams have their QBs. Their maybe others, that could use him, but they maybe riding on players they already have, Like the Vikings, Bengals and others like them where they have a young gun they intend to develope for the next 2-3 years.

Trade maybe a 3rd or 4th, depends, if Roman leaves for a HC job, he will get AS and draft someone to develope. Other teams might try and wait cause the niners may end up cutting him so that they can resign a player(s) like Dashon maybe before the draft starts or their other FA. If they trade it is because they don't want to bid for him with others. Perception is a key and others perception of AS is that he is a good decent QB, but not a superstar, you still have to sell what you are doing to the fan base you are working for which is fickle. Plus, the question will be, if he is so good the other GM wants to know why are you trading him?
Originally posted by mug0mug:
My good friend who is a huge Vikings fan is hoping that the Vikes can get Alex in the offseason.

And believe it or not (since many of you hate him), a lot of teams and fans would love to have him. The only thing holding him back from having terrific trade value is his fairly high price tag. If he would agree to re-negotiate as a term of a trade, he'd be highly sought after.

The Viking's are going to stick with Ponder for a few more years at least. As we all know, some quarterbacks take a few years to develop.
And believe it or not (since many of you hate him), a lot of teams and fans would love to have him. The only thing holding him back from having terrific trade value is his fairly high price tag. If he would agree to re-negotiate as a term of a trade, he'd be highly sought after.

That is a key point, but if he is willing to come down, the niners would be willing to keep him although AS might not want to stay if he is not #1. If he goes to another team, he also is going to want decent money and to start. Can he check his ego and start over again-maybe, but that is the key.

My good friend who is a huge Vikings fan is hoping that the Vikes can get Alex in the offseason.

Thats your friend, how does the whole fan base feel and what is the plan of the front office? I don't see them giving up on ponder just yet.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

What's his fairly high price tag? $8M per year for a starting QB is not high. I see it the other way, I see his price as a bargain and it should favor us getting some descent compensation.
Originally posted by 49erfaithful49:
Alex Smith is better than

Romo
Rivers
Weeden
Palmer
Cassel
Ponder
Bradford
Sanchez
Fitzy
kolb/skelton
whoever Tennessee is starting
The eagles could use a QB

No way is Alex better than any of those guys on that list. Remember Alex was a complete flop until Harbaugh arrived. Imagine a Sam Bradford on the 9ers with all our WR & VD and Running weapons and that lethal Defense?
Alex was a free agent last year and basically generated zero interest from other teams. The teams with dire need for QB's will have high draft picks and can start developing a rookie, instead of paying big for a 8 year veteran.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erLegacy:
Alex was a free agent last year and basically generated zero interest from other teams. The teams with dire need for QB's will have high draft picks and can start developing a rookie, instead of paying big for a 8 year veteran.

Alex is only 28. He's in his prime.
If we do trade him it wont be until after the season and for a low pick (5th or 6th). No one will give a high pick for a guy they know will be released. They may give a low pick so they can secure him, but the teams in real QB jeopardy will have high picks in the draft and would most likely draft a QB in 1st or 2nd. I like Alex and think he is a good QB, but he needs talent around him.
Problem with thinking that we can get a lot for Smith, is teams know he doesnt come as a package with Harbaugh!!!!!!!

No one wanted him when he was FREE last offseason when we were trying to talk Manning to come here.

And the reason he came here was Bc we would pay him the most (over the dolphins IF they offered him $)
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Originally posted by 49erfaithful49:
Alex Smith is better than

Romo
Rivers
Weeden
Palmer
Cassel
Ponder
Bradford
Sanchez
Fitzy
kolb/skelton
whoever Tennessee is starting
The eagles could use a QB

No way is Alex better than any of those guys on that list. Remember Alex was a complete flop until Harbaugh arrived. Imagine a Sam Bradford on the 9ers with all our WR & VD and Running weapons and that lethal Defense?

He wasn't a flop before Harbaugh arrived. But the player being assessed is today's Alex Smith. And if you think all of those guys on that list are better than him, you are either eaten up with hate or you aren't a 49ers fan

So basically teams only want him if they pay him "back up" money, but he is a top 5 QB?
Originally posted by susweel:
4th round pick

Maybe 5th
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Problem with thinking that we can get a lot for Smith, is teams know he doesnt come as a package with Harbaugh!!!!!!!

No one wanted him when he was FREE last offseason when we were trying to talk Manning to come here.

And the reason he came here was Bc we would pay him the most (over the dolphins IF they offered him $)
Alex has improved some more this year, while some veteran QBs are severely tailing off, and some young guys aren't panning out. I think there are going to be more teams looking for a QB at the end of this season than last. For an example I think their prospective teams think way less of Cassel, Sanchez and Vick as they did last year.
of course he has value almost won the bowl last year then took a nasty hit and is now a backup u guys r rediculous he should be starting somewhere and its like CAM NEWTON good rookie year and then adjustments are made now look Alex is playing lights out and is not turning the ball over. He should be the starter when cleared to p-lay
Comparing last off season with a wealth of QBs available in the draft to the upcoming off season with lots of questions about the QB class is like comparing apples and oranges.

I believe because of the weak draft his value is much higher then at any other time.
Share 49ersWebzone