Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by susweel:
4th round pick

Maybe 5th

So he's at Tim Tebow's level.

Tebow is a playoff winning QB

Isn't Smith?
so why the face?

That's not the only measure of a QB's value on the market. You have to know Smith is better than Tebow, right?
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by 49erLegacy:
Alex was a free agent last year and basically generated zero interest from other teams. The teams with dire need for QB's will have high draft picks and can start developing a rookie, instead of paying big for a 8 year veteran.

Alex is only 28. He's in his prime.
I get that, but still he did not generate any interest in free agency last year.
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
4th round pick

Maybe 5th

Isn't Smith?
so why the face?

That's not the only measure of a QB's value on the market. You have to know Smith is better than Tebow, right?

Probably not.
4th round pick

Maybe 5th

Isn't Smith?
so why the face?

if AS can be rated higher over Matt Ryan on this board because of post season play...Then Tebow matches up with AS...

Sorry im just going off the logic of NT
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Personally, I think Alex Smith's ultimate trade value can't be measured in what we get but has to be weighed with the cap space free'ed up to re-sign some key players.

I just want to make sure Smith doesn't end up with the Cardinals. That's the only location where I think he could do damage with this team.
Originally posted by 49erfaithful49:
Alex Smith is better than

Romo
Rivers
Weeden
Palmer
Cassel
Ponder
Bradford
Sanchez
Fitzy
kolb/skelton
whoever Tennessee is starting
The eagles could use a QB

better than bradford even...really? appears you're not considering what those quarterbacks do with jim as rheir head coach.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by dj43:
The only way the 49ers release him is if they are convinced, not just hoping, that Tolzien is ready to take over the back up role and win games against good teams. Remember, this 49er team is poised to go deep into the playoffs right now. Without a QUALITY backup, someone who can win games, all the rest of this talent goes to waste. If Smith is allowed to walk, and Tolzien is not able to carry the load, the season is down the drain.

Smith may decide it is time to leave on his own. However, he won't go to just any team. He has had all that junk he will ever want. Hence, I see him staying here for $4-6MILLION or some other appropriate amount, rather than go somewhere else and get beat up on a bad team. After all, he has made plenty of money. No reason to go somewhere else unless he has a good OL and a chance to go to the playoffs.

If Alex is okay with being a backup he's not half the qb you think he is upstairs. I think it's ludacris to think he'll back here should Kap get the starting gig. No self respecting qb in his prime would sign on for that.

There will be at least one team that he feels comfortable enough to go to. Maybe Roman gets a gig, maybe he reunites with Norv Turner, The difference between bad and good really isn't that much.

Should we go with Kap we will release him and justify it as a cap move.
i love alex but i would lose all respect for him if he would sink to being ok as a back up. of course if he leaves that opens up another question for us at back up quarterback but that is another battle for another day
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Originally posted by 49erfaithful49:
Alex Smith is better than

Romo
Rivers
Weeden
Palmer
Cassel
Ponder
Bradford
Sanchez
Fitzy
kolb/skelton
whoever Tennessee is starting
The eagles could use a QB

No way is Alex better than any of those guys on that list. Remember Alex was a complete flop until Harbaugh arrived. Imagine a Sam Bradford on the 9ers with all our WR & VD and Running weapons and that lethal Defense?

He wasn't a flop before Harbaugh arrived. But the player being assessed is today's Alex Smith. And if you think all of those guys on that list are better than him, you are either eaten up with hate or you aren't a 49ers fan
wow,, that is harsh for english. But he is right of course. i have always said there is a small segment on the internet who have hated alex from day one and would do anything to see him out of town. the proof is there when those have consistently diluted his efforts when he has helped us win a game. if alex leaves us, it will be a sad day in my opinion after all he went through, what he did last year and this year and to lose his job cuz he got hurt. if he leaves i will have no time for anyone to break out the bells and whistles
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
4th round pick

Maybe 5th

Isn't Smith?
so why the face?

Probably not.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
Alex was a free agent last year and basically generated zero interest from other teams. The teams with dire need for QB's will have high draft picks and can start developing a rookie, instead of paying big for a 8 year veteran.

Alex is only 28. He's in his prime.
I get that, but still he did not generate any interest in free agency last year.
he will this year and anyone who does not believe that hates alex anyway so there is no hope for them, in my opinion
We will get a 2nd round pick for Alex
Share 49ersWebzone