There are 76 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Does Alex Smith have any Trade Value???

Originally posted by nj9er:
Originally posted by BayArea:
Even if I dig deep for my best arm chair coaching talent I can't even begin to understand what the Jets need. Like the Cowboys they are bad from the field all the way up to the owner. Cleaning house is an understatement. I wouldn't have said it 2-3 years ago but the longer Rex Ryan is in control the deeper they will plummet. Bet anything he is their coach for the next 3 years though and Sanchez will be their QB just as long.

Being from Nj I can tell you what is wrong with the Jets. They dumped a lot of older quality veteran players with a bad plan B. Damien Woody, Vilma, Faneca, Thomas Jones, Leon Washington, etc, and replaced it with talented egotistical selfish players like Cromartie and Holmes. I think Rex watched the longest yard too many times. Similar to what we did after 2002 only we didn't have any egos just 3rd tier players. Heart for Barlow (jones/green),, TO for Lloyd( S. Moss /holmes)Garcia with Rattay (Farve/Sanchez)

All they need to rebound like us is ... find an elite Coach/GM combo making sure your coach is notorious for molding QBs. Get a franchise best running back, get some defensive talent other than Revis, and a league leading tight end. Then just a few other odds and ends and your good. Sounds simple enough...lol
Yes . I say a 3rd rounder.C.K. is doing great! Alexs is doing great it hurts but C.K. allday....
]1. Baalke will pay him at least what he is getting now to keep him as a back up until CK has thoroughly proven he is reliable against multiple opponents. Note: Bears. Steelers. Others.

2. Right now 20+ plus teams would pay Smith starting money to play for them, hence they are likely to give up a 2nd round pick to get him if he is signed.

I don't see Smith leaving except by trade.
If Kap is named the starter, there is no way AS is around next year. This would mean SF would have to pick up his 7.5mm salary. The deadline for that is April 1. And AS can be the starter in multiple places, so why would he stay? Yes, he's been committed and fair to SF, but under completely different circumstances e.g. Something to prove.

To be honest, I hope we roll with AS. Proven he can run JHs offense, team guy, first class and is hitting his stride. Lets remember he's only 28 too boot. Not enough on CK to supplant AS as the starter for a team that was a botched punt away from the SB.
Roman & Smith to KC, package deal.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PA49ersfan:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by dj43:
Yes, really. There are a lot of teams out there that are struggling with their current QB. They would love to have a guy who can lead the league in percentage and be high on the yards/att. list, as well as reading defenses well.

I agree.

But, does it make sense for a team to wait for him to become a free agent in March?

Given the quarterbacks in the 2013 draft class, some team like Kansas City, which should have the first pick in the draft, would love to get Smith.

Smith would solve one major problem and having him would let them pick best player available.

See what Harbaugh decides tomorrow. If Kaepernick is named the starter, Smith may want a trade.

If I were Baalke, I would work with Smith and Smith's agent to arrange a trade. .

I would accept a 2nd round pick in 2013 and a 4th round pick in 2014 from the Chiefs.
you do not trade him this year for gods sake. am i wrong?

Wow I can agree with you sometimes. Why would we trade him this year. What would it prove? That the front office truly does hate him?
agree with my friend P.A. if alex does lose his job and it is apparant he is not starting next year i would still keep him for the rest of this year cuz then who would we have for a back up we can trust in a big game? now IF he gets to be a problem child, which i do not foresee, then you do whatever you need to do. I hope it will not come down to that, he has always been a class act. Of course we are in kind of uncharted waters
Everyone needs to realize the only way the 49ers will get rid of Alex is by release. It makes no sense to take a $1M dead money hit for a draft pick, which is likely late round, no one will pay a 2nd or 3rd rd pick for him. Not even 4th, maybe 5th. Plus 20+ Teams? Alex had a shot to leave, Miami looked at him, they went with David Garrard, now gone, and Tannehill. And they didn't want him.
Yeah, Alex might be playing better than 15-20 QBs in the league while playing on our team but he probably wouldn't do as well playing on a less talented team with a new system, etc. Teams know we will have to cut him because if they think Kap will start next year we can't pay Alex 8.75 to back him up. As much as I would love to have both unless he re-structures down to backup money at like 2 mil a year we will probably cut him. I would say we get a 4-5th at most but if AB is correct and we have a 1 mil cap hit instead of no cap hit with us releasing him not sure it's worth it. It's sad but it's the way it has to be if we want to keep guys like Goldson around and work on saving money for extensions for Justin, Aldon, Iupati, AD, Brown, Kap, Culliver, etc. Guys like Rogers will probably have to go after 2013... Haralson, Goodwin, etc along with Alex this year. Too many good players and not enough money... I guess it's a good problem to have compared to the dark era where we had 35-40 mil in cap room with no good players to re-sign.
I honestly think that renegotiating a lower salary with Smith to be Kaepernick's backup is a real possibility. I would love for that to happen. He would be a great backup for us, and if he had to come in, we would all/most feel pretty confident that he can do the job well enough for us to win.

I do think we could easily find a trade partner that would let him start. However, we ALL know how Smith is with new systems before Harbaugh. I'm not sure any team that signs him or trades for him will want to wait a full year or more for him to excel in their system. I believe that if Smith leaves SF, he will be out of the league in 2-3 years.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Everyone needs to realize the only way the 49ers will get rid of Alex is by release. It makes no sense to take a $1M dead money hit for a draft pick, which is likely late round, no one will pay a 2nd or 3rd rd pick for him. Not even 4th, maybe 5th. Plus 20+ Teams? Alex had a shot to leave, Miami looked at him, they went with David Garrard, now gone, and Tannehill. And they didn't want him.

This. Absolutely.
Originally posted by Oregon49erfan:
I honestly think that renegotiating a lower salary with Smith to be Kaepernick's backup is a real possibility. I would love for that to happen. He would be a great backup for us, and if he had to come in, we would all/most feel pretty confident that he can do the job well enough for us to win.

I do think we could easily find a trade partner that would let him start. However, we ALL know how Smith is with new systems before Harbaugh. I'm not sure any team that signs him or trades for him will want to wait a full year or more for him to excel in their system. I believe that if Smith leaves SF, he will be out of the league in 2-3 years.

Kaep will be pulling down less than a million next year as a starter. How low do you go for Smith?

I think Alex will be gone next spring. Unless he stays as part of the coaching staff. Nah, that's too crazy.
Originally posted by ayetee:
I think Alex will be gone next spring. Unless he stays as part of the coaching staff. Nah, that's too crazy.

LOL - that's not just crazy, but flat out stupid. Why would he retire to coach when he can play in the league and get Millions for another decade?
  • dj43
  • Veteran

The only way the 49ers release him is if they are convinced, not just hoping, that Tolzien is ready to take over the back up role and win games against good teams. Remember, this 49er team is poised to go deep into the playoffs right now. Without a QUALITY backup, someone who can win games, all the rest of this talent goes to waste. If Smith is allowed to walk, and Tolzien is not able to carry the load, the season is down the drain.

Smith may decide it is time to leave on his own. However, he won't go to just any team. He has had all that junk he will ever want. Hence, I see him staying here for $4-6MILLION or some other appropriate amount, rather than go somewhere else and get beat up on a bad team. After all, he has made plenty of money. No reason to go somewhere else unless he has a good OL and a chance to go to the playoffs.

The only way the 49ers release him is if they are convinced, not just hoping, that Tolzien is ready to take over the back up role and win games against good teams. Remember, this 49er team is poised to go deep into the playoffs right now. Without a QUALITY backup, someone who can win games, all the rest of this talent goes to waste. If Smith is allowed to walk, and Tolzien is not able to carry the load, the season is down the drain.

Smith may decide it is time to leave on his own. However, he won't go to just any team. He has had all that junk he will ever want. Hence, I see him staying here for $4-6MILLION or some other appropriate amount, rather than go somewhere else and get beat up on a bad team. After all, he has made plenty of money. No reason to go somewhere else unless he has a good OL and a chance to go to the playoffs.
If Alex walks before the end of this season, it will cost him a big chunk of the 8 mil he received this summer, not to mention the kind of damage to his reputation as a player so it probably won't happen and he will play out this year however difficult it may seem to us. As for the Niners to pay him five to eight times what Kaep receives for Alex to play backup next year, it ain't gonna happen.
I don't want Alex Smith to be traded. I want the best of both worlds apparently. Alex Smith would be nice back-up under Kaepernick. I really believe in my heart that Alex Smith is not worthy of starting in this league on a team that has a legitimate chance at the Lombardi. He will make a very good back-up for the 49ers.

As as a starter I see the Chiefs and Cardinals with a decent o-cord as his best bet.

If Alex is okay with being a backup he's not half the qb you think he is upstairs. I think it's ludacris to think he'll back here should Kap get the starting gig. No self respecting qb in his prime would sign on for that.

There will be at least one team that he feels comfortable enough to go to. Maybe Roman gets a gig, maybe he reunites with Norv Turner, The difference between bad and good really isn't that much.

Should we go with Kap we will release him and justify it as a cap move.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Nov 28, 2012 at 12:44 AM ]